Steering rotation and lock

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jack Mitchell, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Jack Mitchell

Jack Mitchell Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    With this new update (Which I am loving - unlike alot of you fussy people on here) I see that the steering rotations and lock values have changed on all/most cars?

Now I used to stick every car to 900 degree rotation (To match what my hands are actually doing) and the lock to about 23-27 depending on how it drivers (The old defaults is what made the cars feel floaty IMO since it looks to 'over' steer the cars). Now when I do this to cars they feel very odd and feels much better at its default values - what are we suppose to do? Leave the defaults, or match the rotation to what sort of wheel we are running?

2. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    The default should give you what the actual car use as a steering ratio.

i.e : No GT3 car have 900° steering ratio, it's more around 500°.
    By the way if the wheel is correctly set up there's a soft lock feature that will block your wheel to go further to the steering ratio of the car.

You should set your wheel to the maximum angle it can do and set the steering ratio and lock to the default setup, that will aloow you to have the proper setup related to the car your driving.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. goldtop

goldtop Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Lots of drivers at my league having problems with this since update.

So do I understand correctly? Under the "Vehicle Settings" page we set "Wheel Rotation" to match our wheels....in my case DFGT with 900 deg max rotation which is set in my Logitech profiler. Then in the car setup page we use the default for each type of car?

4. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    If I'm not wrong the "vehicule wheel rotation" is only a visual effect.
    What matters is the settings on your wheel (Fanatec) or the driver of your wheel (Logitec profiler)
    Then use the car setup page to set the steering lock and angle for this car (you only have to set it once, it's not track dependant).
    It's recommanded to set as default but if you have other tastes, it's up to you ;)

5. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, if you're looking for realism you shouldn't be setting all your cars to 900 degrees as most of the cars in this sim don't use that high of rotation. If you have everything setup right the game should automatically adjust your steering rotation for whatever car you're in and then you can adjust the steering lock to fine-tune how the wheel feels to fit your preference. Set your profiler for 900 degrees and check the box that lets the game change things as it desires. Then in the car setup menu adjust the lock to your liking, if the car feels too pointy go with a lower value and if it feels to wayward go with a higher value. Of course you're free to adjust it however you want, not everyone desires ultra-realism.

And yes, I believe the vehicle wheel rotation in the main menu settings is just for how much your on-screen virtual wheel turns and has no affect on how the car feels/behaves.

Interesting to see the cars have new rotation/lock values though, I recently found these were a big factory in the "floaty" feeling so perhaps they've made some good changes to these settings that will go towards addressing that.