Steering wheel adjustment FANATEC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RIZZI, Nov 1, 2020.

1. RIZZI

RIZZI Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I have a Fanatec clubsport V2.5 and a Formula V2 steering wheel.
    My debate concerns steering lock, steering angle, steering sensitivity, return multiplier
    If I want to have a good time on a circuit, I reduce the steering angle and increase the steering lock, but it's not comfortable and my wheels turn too fast, I wear out my tires too fast. For better understanding because I use google translate which does not always translate correctly, I give you values for example
    in a game steering wheel: 540
    Steering lock 16
    Return Multiplier: 10
    Brake sensitivity: 100%
    Sotfware Fanatec: AUTO
    I can't find the right compromise, after multiple modifications, I always come back to reducing the steering angle as much as possible and increasing the steering lock.
    I hope I was explicit, if anyone has any ideas, I'm interested!
    Thank you

2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    From my experience, the default steering lock value (15) is more than enough for any track, I barely ever need that much. Is there a reason why you need to increase it? I'd imagine reducing steering angle should be enough. Is 540 the reduced value? This is more or less regular steering angle for GT cars.

This is for gamepads and shouldn't affect other controls, like racing wheels or keyboard.

Isn't it a bit too much? You get linear brake input at 50% (same for steering sensitivity).

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  3. RIZZI

RIZZI Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Merci pour vos explications.
    J'ai testé les freins et la sensibilité de la direction à 50%, je ne freine pas et ne tourne pas lol
    Si je mets 540 (cette valeur est parfois la valeur par défaut) dans les jeux, je dois réduire de moitié ou 50% la sensibilité, et je mets mon volant sur auto, si je ne réduis pas à 50% ma rotation est de 1080 mais les sensations ne sont pas là
    c'est compliqué à expliquer en anglais, donc je modifie directement l'angle de rotation sur mon volant sans prendre en compte la valeur dans le jeu
    J'aimerais un angle de rotation plus naturel comme dans la vraie vie! Ou je dois revoir ma façon de jouer!

4. RIZZI

RIZZI Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your explanations.
    I tested the brakes and steering sensitivity at 50%, I don't brake or turn lol
    If I put 540 (this value is sometimes the default) in the games, I have to reduce by half or 50% in the sensitivity, and I put my steering wheel on auto, if I do not reduce to 50% my rotation is 1080 but the sensations are not there
    it's complicated to explain in English, so I directly modify the angle of rotation on my steering wheel without taking into account the value in the game
    I would like a more natural angle of rotation like in real life! Or I have to review my way of playing!

5. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    As far as I understand, there should be an option that makes your wheel's steering angle match the one that your car has in real life. If it doesn't, then this is what I would do too:
    Then, if you keep steering lock at default and steering sensitivity at 50%, your steering should match one in real life. How bad does it feel when you do this?

These are some values for GT3 for reference:
    Audi R8 LMS - 720°
    Bentley Continental GT3 2015 - 640°
    BMW M6 GT3 - 565°
    McLaren 650S GT3 - 480°
    Mercedes-AMG GT3 - 640°
    Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3 2015 - 640°
    Porsche 991 II GT3 R - 800°

6. RIZZI

RIZZI Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Thank you yes I do this but I feel bad to turn!
    it is certainly my way of riding that I have to review !!

7. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Do you feel like you have to steer your wheel too much? I would first try reducing the steering angle even further. Alternatively, increase steering lock - this will affect your steering "speed" the same way.

Steering sensitivity is probably the last thing you should change, unless you have some specific requirements, because it makes your steering non-linear and this is not realistic.

If it's the shape of your wheel that makes your steering uncomfortable, then what I would do is reduce both steering angle and steering lock at the same time. You can reduce them to as low as 270-300° for steering angle + 8-10° for steering lock, and you should still have more or less realistic steering speed and sufficient steering angles. Your max steering angle will be quite limited, but the only situation where I need anything more than that is doing a sharp 180° turn after I spun out.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  8. RIZZI

RIZZI Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    What you are saying is true so I will try to correct it, by changing my way of driving.
    It is difficult because not natural for me, thank you in any case for having kindly answered my questions, it seems to me that this subject has not been addressed, we are talking about FFB of car tuning but the steering wheel and steering lock is also important