Steering Wheel Torque - Real Life?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HomieFFM, Dec 20, 2019.

1. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    I'm wondering how much torque drivers have to overcome to move the steering wheel, in real life, in most modern GT3 Cars for example?
    They are all using Powersteering, which should make it pretty easy compared to old F1 cars or Gokarts.

But I'm still wondering how much Nm is it really? We also could replicate that with most steeringwheel bases.
    There is not really a source with any credible numbers (also powersteering is possibly adjustable), but maybe Sector 3 has some numbers to share? Or somebody in the Forum :)

Cheers

2. Jota Ele

Jota Ele Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Watching onboards the visual sensation (taking as reference my own wheel in ACC) is than the average force must be between 8-12Nm but idk :D I'm curious too about this

• Like Like x 1
  3. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Same, with the Fanatec DD1 one you can watch on a small display the current Nm and peak Nm last 10 seconds. With the default settings for that wheel I'm also getting around 8 - 12 Nm peak in most GT3 cars and I was thinking completely the same as you ''this does look like the hand + wheel movement in real life onboards'' :D

I'll hope somebody can give us some numbers, that would be so awesome to know :)

4. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +575 / 0 / -0
    lol i just covered this topic and posted this video on another thread here.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Very good video, thank you :) He's saying what I have thought right at the beginning: ''Power steering can change anything in any amount'' , so I'm guessing what they are doing with GT3 cars or any other Power steering race car, they adjust or build a up the car with a certain level of power steering, where you don't get exhausted too quickly, but still have enough Nm to get more of a feeling what the car is doing.

Because too much Powersteering would also kill some ''information'' for the driver, just like it does when you use 1% FFB strength in the settings :D

But I still think there is a limited / realistic range of possible adjustments with the power steering. So I wonder if the Sector 3 devs have any numbers they are allowed to share with us :) At the moment 8-12 Nm steering peak by default does feel quite good and somehow believeable for most of the modern cars.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  7. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Real life Ferrari Blancpain GT3 driver David Perel actually answered me and maybe we gonna get some informations in the next year! :D

01.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +575 / 0 / -0
    GT3s are all around 8Nm. There were drivers in the past who stated this. I just don't remember where... :( I think Jan Seyffarth said that about the AMG GT3. He uses a Simucube at home and matched the forces and then had around 8Nm on the Simucube.

• Informative Informative x 2