STOP DEDUCTING INSANE AMOUNTS OF REP IN RANKED FOR SMALL REASONS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ArgSpelare, May 4, 2021.

1. ArgSpelare

ArgSpelare New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi!

I just joined a ranked server and drove a little bit in Practice+Qualifying. Qualifying ended and I left immediately since I realized I had to do something. I left immediately, before the race begun or before joining the grid. And now I just saw after coming home that I LOST 17 (!) REPUTATION POINTS FOR THIS LITTLE PETTY THING!!! I'M DOWN AT 66 POINTS NOW. IT'S GONNA TAKE FOREVER TO RANK UP AGAIN.

I'm BEYOND livid at this game's decisions sometimes, seriously. Do you know how long it takes to rank up 17 rep!??

Here's the solution: If a player finishes quali but leaves before lights go on, just remove them from the grid and move all cars up one place. If you somehow can't perform this software-wise or this is too difficult, AT LEAST lower the punishment when a player leaves a ranked race before the race even begun!

17 POINTS!?!? SERIOUSLY!??!!? I'm so f*cking done, I'm so f*cking done leveling up my reputation like this. Takes forever. For what? "Oh, I qualified and realized I needed to do something BEFORE joining the grid and left, sorry." = "HOW DARE YOU" -17 points in reputation. I received -15 points once after leaving a race after first corner when somebody totalled me, it pissed me off. But this... Like I understand a big penalty for those who leave early-/mid-race, but this is RIDICULOUS! FIX THIS AND GIVE ME BACK MY GOD DAMN POINTS!

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    Its happened to all of us loosing points for disconnects , being killed etc, and making back points isnt that hard,
    Personally ive lost recently, 47 points for a disconnect and my highest loss is over 75 points
    https://game.raceroom.com/users/andi-goodwin/career

Being annoyed is ok
    But this post is slightly over the top

Make sure you have time for the race and it will come back

Andi

3. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

But seriously. There just need to be any system that prevents drivers from just quitting the race. If its losing rating, then be it. A lot of games with deep multiplayer goes this way. If you are pissed off, then it works as it should :p

4. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    So......you had something super important to do that you just remembered, that wouldn't wait 15 minutes. And you remembered exactly at the end of qualifying?

Sure you didn't just have a bad Q and didn't fancy it?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    To lividity....and BEYOND.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. ArgSpelare

ArgSpelare New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @ravey1981 I qualied 2nd, so definitely not. And I like to fight from the back too.
    And I definitely don't think this is over the top, @Andi Goodwin, the penalty is way too harsh for the action. Quitting races in-race is different than quitting before it has started. This is outrageous and too demotivating. As I said, lower penalty.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Unless you qualified too high, realized you stand too loose more than you can gain and bailed.
    Just my observation.

8. RedMajestic

RedMajestic New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    He is talking about Reputation I think and you are talking about rating (I believe its imposible to lose 75 points on reputation, but even 17 points is pretty high)

The Ratingsystem is kinda ok, you can get your lost points back easily, but the reputationsystem .....
    I know its difficult to create a good reputationsystem, i mean i can't think of an better one ,myself.

but its annoying if you get hit from 3 different people (or every time the same one) and still get incident points.

9. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Old Mr Blue sky (ELO) appears to be the only low headroom system available to Developers as of now. I'm sure there is a coder somewhere attempting to develop with AI and if successful it would literally be a game changer, until then we are stuck with the fair but annoying 70's prog rockers, ELO, just don't get me down! :)

10. ArgSpelare

ArgSpelare New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What? I did too WELL? Bruh. I'm gonna ignore most of these and mostly aim my messages towards devs from now on.

I want to give an example of another multiplayer game that has to minimize leavers in order to keep it's integrity, League of Legends. In LoL, there is no Quali/Practice. You queue up for a game, then join a lobby with 10 people, 5 in each team. You pick your champions and then join the game. If you leave queue, you receive no penalty. If you leave lobby, you receive a 15/30/45min waiting period from joining queue again. If you leave in-game, you receive a harsh punishment (suspension/ban depending on how often you do it). Note that you don't get punished if you leave once/twice because people may experience technical problems, so LoL tolerates this since it's out of the players control the first couple of times.
    In RaceRoom, you get an unproportionally big punishment for leaving even before you've joined the race; in LoL this would correspond to a 15/30/45min waiting period before joining another queue.

There are many ways of doing this, but taking LoL as a simple example, we COULD have a system like this instead:
    - Leaving Practice/Quali: No punishment.
    - Leaving after Quali but before lights go on: -3 rep or can't join servers for (racetime)+20/60min.
    - Leaving after lights go on: -10 rep or ban from ranked for 1-2 weeks if done more than 2 times, depending on how often player has done it.

Remember, it's a short example where details can be worked on. I hope the devs can express what they think about this system, and the potential downsides of it. Because I believe the current system needs to be adjusted. I hope you find this useful and I want to hear your opinions.

P.S. Give me back my goddamn points.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: May 5, 2021
  11. nickh158

nickh158 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    No. This is not a solution. I get kicked out of races at least once week due to involuntary disconnects. Your idea would mean I`d never get to race again.

12. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Getting as angry as you are over a few virtual points in a computer game is absolutely over the top. If something so trivial gets you worked up into this state, I'd hate to see you how you react to an actual crisis situation. Get a grip.

The penalty is there to stop people taking the mick. If you make the penalty trivial then you will end up with people quitting just because they don't like their grid position after qualifying. That's far more unacceptable and experience ruining than poor little ArgSpelare losing a few points because he suddenly realises he has something better to do than take part in the race he entered.

Big picture. It's not all about you.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. ArgSpelare

ArgSpelare New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @nickh158 it's two suggetions, "-10 rep or ban from ranked for 1-2 weeks if done more than 2 times, depending on how often player has done it." and details can be altered. It's just an example as well. So I'd like to hear what you think about the "-10 rep" option, and not the time-ban. Would that be an ok system in your case, with your disconnects? (Still consider the entire example I gave as a suggestion for a new system). If no, why not?

14. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    While surely the complaint was phrased in an over the top way i generally agree with op. 17 points of reputation is a lot regardless of where your reputations at. Personally i feel like around 5 points would be more appropriate for a simple disconnect (be it intentional or because of technical problems). If youve already collected a good few incident points up until that point then put the reputation loss for those on top of the 5 points but otherwise i feel like thatd be a big enough penalty already. If you care about your reputation you probably wont keep leaving races on purpose and if you dont care then losing 20 points wont really make a difference either. And if you do experience technical difficulties or something in real life comes up you dont get your complete ranking career ruined. Also would be nice for scenarios like getting totalled in the early laps of an endurance race. At the moment you can choose between sitting in the pits for 2 hours and making your pc unusable for that time or losing huge amounts of reputation

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Doug Spinster

Doug Spinster Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    You can gain back rep/rank fairly quickly by racing when only a few drivers are are on after hours. :)

16. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    Can you link to your raceroom drivers account as i did above

Andi

17. ArgSpelare

ArgSpelare New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @Andi Goodwin How come? If you want to refund my lost rep points I don't want them until the system has changed. It's not about my own points, it's about the penal system being unproportional and totalitarian. "Bad" and "bad" ain't the same sometimes and you can't apply the same penalty for every infraction. If you wanted to offer a refund, thank you but not until this is changed.

Like someone crashes into me and we both get incident points from it, that's unfair but the system can't know who's fault it is, totalitarian but understandable. But -17 rep for leaving a game before race started is totalitarian and not understandable, the penalty is too big.

18. nickh158

nickh158 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Tbh I think the reputation system is fine. Despite random disconnects, and bad driving (me and others if I`m honest) my rep always hovers between 80 and 90. My ranking is a different matter and my issue is with the rookie servers not offering slower drivers a fair chance by allowing anyone in. Personally I don`t think any servers should have 0/0 entry...

19. ripliii

ripliii New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello there,
    First time writing here, nice comunity this is.
    Although maybe is a bit exagerated for some the reaction of the OP, I trully understant his point.
    Until yesterday I have a safety rating of 97.... suddenly when the server was changing to race after qualy I was send to the multiplayer screen... Now I´m in 85. I have to admit that is really frustrating... and discouraging too.
    I cannot add a link to my account because is my first post... :D
    If there is a way to have back my rating I would like to know. If not... thats ok.
    See you in the roads!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. RedMajestic

RedMajestic New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I´m glad I´m not the only one whom happened that.