Resolved Stutter ever 1 second

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by The Iron Wolf, May 6, 2016.

1. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    This morning I tried my "new" TV with R3E, and I was surprised to get stutter every 1 second, game goes out of sync. I tried to disable vsync, no luck. I tried 2 tracks, GT3 class, same problem. I am planning to delete my settings, but I wonder if some has hit this before?

The only thing I changed on my end: new patch from R3E and I disabled replay recording from command line.

2. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    im guessing you running the game in fullscreen mode, switch to windowed mode, most probably it will fix it (it is borderless, so will look exactly the same as fullscreen)

3. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I'll try that if resetting graphics settings won't help, the weird thing this did never happen before. Seems like some sort of regression, although last patch didn't seem major.

BTW, does anyone remembers what file needs to be deleted to reset graphics?

4. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    in Documents\My Games\Simbin\Raceroom Racing Experience\Userdata you can find a graphics_options.xml file, i guess thats the right one, however never tried to reset graphics options alone, usually i just delete the whole Simbin folder....

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Hey Drei, thanks for your inputs, but unfortunately R3E is unplayable for me right now. So, if anyone has any more ideas, please, let me know.

So, turning on windowed mode, helped somewhat, but that also disables FSAA, and I travel back into Q2 era :) This gave me hint that stuttering is somehow related to AA. I reduced level of AA and was able to race at Zandvoort. Today, however, at Spa, pretty much nothing removed stutter (I did not try no AA, but I used pure in game AA). Also, tried shadow setting changes, no luck (recent patch changes how shadow splits are done IIRC). Anyway, I am at the point of giving up. I still suspect that it has to do with me duplicating desktop to two monitors (TV and monitor), and I'll try couple of settings. But, pCars isn't affected, so maybe that is not the cause.

6. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Someone reported this before. I think what he was doing was changing resolution click apply then revert it. And it was back to normal.

or try this

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  7. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    There should be an easy way to find out for sure. ;)

What AA method have you set in the driver software or inspector? What apps are running in the background (browser etc)?

• Like Like x 1
  8. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    What is the refresh rate of the displays? 59 vs 60 in theory sounds like it may cause a drift every one second.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    What you are saying makes sense. I believe it is 60hz both, last time I checked. However, there's interesting setting called "Clone source" in Nvidia CP. In case of duplicate displays it allows to choose "source" display. I'll change TV to become source, and to only output settings into TV, and see what happens.

Thanks for all the the suggestions guys! If I'll find a solution I'll update this thread.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    So, I found "solution", which is more of a workaround: display R3E only to TV. I am very curious as to why duplicating screen 1 and 2, at same refresh rate, has this effect on R3E but not pCars. However, with the little time I have to race I'd rather race than continue investigating. Thanks all for their thoughts.

11. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hm, it really shouldn't have an impact on the performance and disabling the second screen really is just a workaround...
    Just had one thought, how do you connect the second display (which port and what type (HDMI, DVI etc))?

12. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    I agree it shouldn't intuitively make a difference. The primary monitor is connected via DVI and TV is connected via HDMI to wireless box (MyWireless TV by actiontec).
    This setup is far from trivial, and there are multiple things that can go wrong. But overall I noticed weird behavior in "duplicate screens" functionality with NVidia drivers. I had one more TV before that, and at some point NVidia driver decided to send interlaced (30hz) signal to TV. I solved that by making Monitor "source for cloning".

Most likely, all this has to do with timing or refresh rate mismatch between TV and Monitor, I won't be surprised if driver decides to send 59hz to one of them without telling me, and TV info mode doesn't display refresh rate. But, the most puzzling is why R3E? Maybe because it is DX9? (I am comparing vs pCars that run perfect with duplicate output).

13. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    1. thought: The games menu and portal are kind of a browser and use hardware acceleration when possible. Have you tried adding the -cefNoGPU and -cefNoBlacklist lauch parameters in steams launch options to disable hw acceleration?
    1.1.: Doyou have steam overlays enabled and have you tried without?

2. thought: Are you using Geforce Experience? If so which version? Read somewhere that downgrading to 2.1.1 solved a similar problem for other users.
    2.1.: Any other software like shadowplay or else running in the background?

3. thought: Are you using Windows Aero and its transparency setting? Have you tried disabling transparency?

4. Tried a clean driver install with the latest nvidia driver?

• Like Like x 1
  14. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Christian, answer is No to 1.1.-4, and 1. is something to try. However, I really don't have much time to experiment - I wasted 1.30hrs on this already, time I would rather spent racing :) so I don't know if I'll continue my investigation - disabling main monitor output is annoying, but is easy enough.

15. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I get that, and as long as it works somehow... ;)
    Just put down what I came up with and stuff like the launch params or disabling GF Experience (if used) would be minor changes that can be made in minutes. So if you find the time and will to experiment with it, try those things if you will. And if you do let me/us know.

Cheers

Christian