Resolved Stuttering Issues when in VR

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by UsF, Jul 8, 2021.

1. UsF

UsF Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    System Specs:
    Ryzen 1700
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    32 GB RAM
    Logitech G27 with Logitech Profiler 5.10.127
    HTC Vive

There is a stuttering issue. At the end of every second, the rendering of the car/track freezes for a short second and then continues. This can be most easily felt by steering and looking at the wheel, which will freeze for a split second every second. Makes driving pretty much impossible.

The issue requires the following launch parameter for the game to be set:
    -webHudUrl=
    Even without any actual web hud option given, the freezes happen. If no option is given, then the in-game HUD bugs out and will be rendered in place of a web hud. It will be rendered as a static image. This image can then not be interacted with and the player needs to close it by pressing/holding escape.
    Testing should be done with some web hud parameter, but the issue of when no webhud is defined might be relevant, so I included it. I used:
    -webHudUrl=https://otterhud.github.io/

The freezes also occur in singleplayer sessions, but so far only in single player race sessions (practice/qualifying and race). It does not happen in single player direct practice or leaderboard challenges.
    The stuttering happen when the Raceroom session timer strikes a full second (GameSessionTimer).

In singleplayer the freezes can be created and removed at will. To create them, hit drive in one of the above mentioned session types, then go into the race monitor and then back on track. The stuttering will have appeared. To get rid of it, open the escape menu and close it again. The stuttering will be gone.

The stuttering can be more directly tested in the race monitor itself. Move the mouse in a circle in the race monitor and you will notice a mouse stutter every second. Press H to hide the interface and move the mouse around, it will be stutter free. Moving AI cars and track-side animations will also stutter/not stutter based on if the interface is visible. Time needs to be progressing in the monitor for the stuttering to occur and the UI needs to be visible.

In multiplayer, the same applies to the race monitor, however the workaround to get them removed does not work there.

Pressing the hide UI button itself instead of the H shortcut will bring up tooltips that freeze the user input when they show up as well as when they slowly disappear off screen. It will also freeze all objects on track in place when the button is clicked and will freeze a few short times when the UI tip slides away.

Mousing over menu elements in the race monitor also freezes everything as described above.

The stuttering does not happen in the race monitor when the time is not progressing (as in when you click race monitor before going out on track). The freezes when pressing the hide UI button or when mousing over elements still happen though.

Those freezes with mousing over UI elements also happen in the main menu where the "Drive" "Car Setup" etc. buttons are. It also happens when mousing over all the pit stop preset elements. It does not happen in the car setup or options menu and those ones runs very smooth.

The stuttering issues in the race monitor are not reproducible in the instant replay and the interface works fine there in all cases (probably because session time is paused?).

When creating the stuttering with the mousing over UI elements, only the game portion is stuttering (aka the cars and track). The UI is butter smooth in VR and does not lag one bit.

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  2. Kevinbackroom

Kevinbackroom New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have also experienced this issue using steam vr

3. UsF

UsF Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    As an update in the Race Monitor in Multiplayer, the stuttering every second happens even without the -webHudUrl= launch parameter.

The stuttering happens in the Race Monitor and once it happened, it sticks around in future sessions in the Race Monitor as well as the menus. It does however not transmit towards the race session. I guess when the WebHudURL is defined, the issue is coming from the Race Monitor and propagates into the race session somehow.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  4. BiRRdYY

BiRRdYY New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much for identifying and describing the issue I had all the time in VR since the last major update. Hope that it will get fixed soon!

5. SamuTnT

SamuTnT New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Same exact problem here... any news about a fix??

6. UsF

UsF Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    With the update from today, the fix for me was using the launch parameter:
    -cefEnableGPU
    It removed the stuttering of the normal HUD as well as any issues with Otterhud I had. So you can probably try and see if it helps with any issues.
    upload_2021-12-18_15-2-2.png