Resolved Stuttering with AMD GPU

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Rella, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Since last sunday I have a kind of microstuttering. Latest recommended AMD drivers are installed. Same issue occurs with my old R9 280X and its successor RX480 8G. Always drove with Vsync on but I had to switch it off as it's undriveable atm. I get 140-200 fps but the picture isn't smooth. Tried low to high settings, all versions of multisampling, fxaa on and off, full screen on and off, lower resolution, switched between 59Hz and 60Hz in the monitor settings, uninstalled the drivers with DDU and reinstalled it, reinstalled DirectX, reinstalled mainboard drivers. An issue that I only have with the RX480 is that during the loading screen the screen sometimes flickers, also at the beginning of the race there is for a short time strong flickering that disapperas after a while.
    Dirt Rally and AC are working fine so I'm a bit stucked. Next thing I will do is install some more of the older AMD drivers. Any help or idea is highly appreciated.
    Win10 64

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  2. Henri Puustinen

Henri Puustinen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    nVidia user here, but do you use pre rendered frames: 1 (or is this setting possible on AMD GPU?)

3. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    No, that seems to be nvidia specific. I'm not that familiar with this stuff but the flip queue size should be equivalent but is set automatically by the Crimson driver what I read so far.

4. Henri Puustinen

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    And Windows Update hasn't downloaded any GPU drivers so there's some sort of conflict?

5. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Yesterday I uninstalled all display drivers with ddu to have a clean basis. I also checked windows update. The strange thing is (apart from many others) that Vsync makes it even worse.

6. Henri Puustinen

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    When scouting the web for similar issues I find some previous reports of the AMD Radeon Crimson driver down-clocking the GPU Voltage to save power and therefore the voltage isn't enough.

https://community.amd.com/thread/191820

Can you OC the GPU and see if it helps?

7. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    It's an OC version and I tried the presets in the Asus GPU Tweak and also the Game booster. When checking the GPU monitor the values seemed to be fine imho. I will have another look what else I can configure there.
    Actually I'm not sure about the fps drop issue as the steam overlay shows quite nice numbers. Furthermore I should have the same probs in AC and Dirt I think but they work fine. Before I removed the old card everything was fine but now I have the same issue also with this card. Seems to me driver related with a certain preference to R3E. Weird.

8. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your help. Found a lot of stutter issues with the RX480 but nothing helped so far and I'm fed up after so many installation procedures :p Maybe I will have a closer look at the GTX :cool:

9. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    hm, I remember a Post from @pixeljetstream were he recommend to delete the shader cache-file:

In addition you can delete the graphics.xml as well and do the graphic-settings in the game again...

Or have you tried that already?

10. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    When starting a race very briefly I see flickering on some objects too, both with a 7870 and a RX480 on two different computers. It's more noticeable on that screen that shows a view of the track's finish line.

I also have a weird stuttery experience while at 60fps vsynch on, or at >110fps vsynch off with a RX480 at some particular moments, and had it before with a 7970 when I tested it briefly some time ago IIRC. It's very noticeable if I start a Gr5 qualify at Spa Classic against 24 AI, from when I come out of the pit and until I join the track a bit after the Eau Rouge. Even if indicated fps are at vsynch limit or above it, it'll feel like I'm at way lower fps (btw, GPU clocks are steady). I've always assumed that it's related to AI presence in a packed situation that stresses it, and my slow CPU (an old 965BE @3.96GHz) can't quite cope in time due to weak single-thread performance and DX9. Then it's as if some delay caused by overtaxing the cpu on physics/ai makes the render thread's fps stream stutter, even if it outputs a high rate. It's the same (but more tolerable) during the start of a first lap on a tight pack at T1-T2, and then it normalizes. Practicing alone is fine (also Dirt Rally or Assetto are perfectly fluid/smooth when showing vsynch's 60fps), this is why I believe it's just a CPU bottleneck on my scenario and the particular way R3E copes with it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  11. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    I changed videosettings to auto and also switched off or reduced settings that could need a lot of performance like shadow, shadowsplit, reflections etc. But didn't delete these files. Maybe I will have another go.
    Had similar thoughts with my i5. Yesterday evening i switched back to the R9 280X and installed the same newest radeon version and there is no stuttering and even Vsync works again. That makes me doubtful if deleting the shadercache would help and this also contradicts the bottlenecktheory with same videosettings and resolution.

12. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Except if it's a 1156 i5, anything later it's in another league of performance vs mine. I feared you had something like a FX series CPU, hence my post. But if you get it all the time, instead of as in my example when leaving the pits up to Eau Rouge at Spa Classic vs AI whereas it doesn't happen in solo practice, it might something else.
    Btw, I've also tried to delete those two files, or force Vsynch via CCC instead of R3E (doesn't work), or setting a 60fps frame limit via CCC both with vsynch on or off in R3E (caps as expected but doesn't solve it).

If it's a problem with your RX480 (as micro throttling), monitor it's power usage as by default the cap is 150W and an OC'd version might hit it it if power limit isn't raised (you should be able to do it in GPU Tweak until +50%). Mine is only at 1316/2025 @1.047V and R3E doesn't seem to hit more than ~132W. On CCC\Gaming\Global Settings Power Efficiency should be set to Off.
    To completely exclude any Power Saving feature, you might try a tool like ClockBlocker.

13. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I had micro stutters on my gtx 1070 until this patch so it may not just be an amd thing

14. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    In the meantime I tried your suggestion but without success.I also tried different settings in the radeon configuration and also tried to deactivate the radeon program before running R3E. Furthermore I connected another monitor to evaluate if the issue is connected to the screen resolution or frequency or if there is any difference between HDMI and DVI.
    Constantly. Also flickering in the loading screen of a race when the screen shortly turns to black. As the R9 280X power consumption is similar I think my 600W be quiet supply should be capable to run the 480. The GPU monitor shows stable values.
    Don't know if it's worth to wait if later AMD drivers could solve the issue as I could find a lot of similar issues going back till last summer. I now reached the state where I could throw the card out of the window ;)

15. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Your 600W be quiet should be more than enough, if everything ran OK before. Your older 280X should draw a lot more power, specially on compute.

16. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Btw, check the latest 17.3.1. For the few times I've tried R3E after installing them, it seems like the flickering on the track/grid intro is gone.

And btw, I've downloaded a few bios from Asus DUAL-RX480-O4G/O8G cards on the techpowerup db, which I presume that is your model to check its power settings. In all of them, the default power limit is seriously crippling because it's set a 99W, instead of 150W base as upper range OC'd models like the Gaming X or Nitro (Strix comes at 130W) which then allow up to 225W via +50%.
    So even in regular use, if your card comes pre-overclocked at 1300/2000 it will most certainly throttle, because 99W isn't even enough to hold default 1266/1200 clocks at boost all the time. Please use MSI Afterburner or GPUTweak to push power limit to +50%, and check for changes. As I posted above, at 1316/2025 I see ~125-132W full load usage on my card, so it should be plenty for your bios default clock, but 99W shouldn't really cut it in worst case scenarios.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  17. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions! Maybe I should have waited a bit longer to send the card back to the retailer. It was the Asus DUAL-RX480-O8G and I had GPUTweak II running. Didn't want to spend the money for a GTX1080 but it already arrived yesterday and after a first quick check there were not such issues like the flickering and it ran smooth with the current settings. But I can't go max. AC looks brilliant but seems that R3E requires sth more that I couldn't figure out yet. Running a 4690 on 1150 with 8GB and SSDs. Maybe some more investions needed on my side. And people are complaining about livery prices :D

18. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    R3E due to DX9 is awfully CPU bound, so draw calls suffer a lot to feed your card. If you have good cooling, try pushing your CPU to some 4.3-4.5Ghz were it tops. Not only reducing some settings like shadows might help, but the mirror resolution too. To make use of the dormant power of your card that isn't CPU bound, you can push AA to a higher level, and get rid of the blurry FXAA on top of it.

Btw, just to confirm: I haven't seen any more geometry flicker at track grid/intro since the 17.3.1s.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Ha ha ha ha, I concur, £700 down the swanny for a GTX1080Ti and there's still a chance some Sims/Games won't max out on the graphics front, what happened to the days when Software was always chasing Hardware? Nothing more annoying than buying the latest title to use with the latest Hardware only to find out you have to limit the eye candy to get usable Fps, B**lshit!

20. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    :p;)
    I think so too. Have to play still with the settings before I upgrade more of the hardware. What I read today is that my 4690 should be quite a decent combination with the card. Don't understand why I have issues now in full screen and better quality when switching Full screen off. Actually I have everything on low except AA and the textures.
    Edit: Since I set the graphic adapter to 59Hz it's much better. My Monitor has 60Hz under Win10 but the resolution in R3E shows 59Hz. Full screen is still worse than window mode but it looks much better now. Earlier I had evenwith 250fps terrible tearing. Could make sense o_O

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017