Problem Stuttering

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Fanapryde, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Since a week or more I notice stuttering that was not there before (nor is it in other sims).

GPU: Nvidia GTX980 TI for triple 27" BENQ XL2720Z monitors (144 Hz - 1ms)
    Video settings:
    Aspect ratio48:9
    Resolution 6060 x 1080 x 144
    Full screen ON
    Sync OFF
    FOV 0,9 x

In get this FPS count:
    Low 400-500 FPS
    Med 160-190 FPS
    High 54-77 FPS

Normally I use high, never was an issue.
    I tried all kinds of settings in Custom, only gaining FPS but not changing the stuttering.
    A few days ago I thought I found the problem in the overlay position bar: when I switched it off the stuttering was gone (at least for a -short- while), but today even that did not help. Sometimes all is OK during the out lap, just to start stuttering again as soon as I cross the start/finish line.
    It looks like if I'm getting really low FPS, but in fact it is not.
    I tried switching off the high speed shake, cockpit movement to 0 and also to 100 and all in between. Nothing helps.
    Like this it is really undriveable and I have no clue what the reason may be. :(
    Help please !

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    About a week ago MS started rolling out a new cumulative update, KB3197954.
    Did you receive this already or is it maybe still doing its thing in the background?

If you've got it, might also be worth to do a disk clean-up, especially system files and in there the update clean-up.

Did all the above (plus a manual defrag) and everything is running smooth on my end.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  3. Timi

Timi New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have the same problem, try full screen off

4. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Are you on triple screen setup too ?

5. Timi

Timi New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  6. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I am, and full screen off is no solution in this case. But thanks for thinking along anyway ;)
    There seems to have been a Steam update today, at least when I started RR, my computer froze, there was not other way than reboot and after that - when restarting RR I got the Steam update screen for a few moments.
    Stuttering is still present but not so bad as before...

7. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I am having this same issue, also with 980ti on triple screens, 4690k cpu. It is similar to the issues i had before changing mobos. before i was running maxed out with silky smooth framerates - just fired up r3e for first time in awhile, after big windows update, and i'm back to lowering settings trying to get smooth frame rate. ugh. Just updated nvidia drivers, no help. Its like after a few seconds of driving, everything slows down from an initially great frame rate.

on a sidenote - mirrors look better??? not sure really, but i remember them looking alot worse than they do now. Could be related to whatever low level issue is slowing things down, or related to my imagination.

8. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    You are right. I was not sure about it and thought it was because I changed some settings while trying to fix the stuttering. The mirrors do look better.

@Christian Göpfert has been trying to help me out but until now the stuttering is still present. I made a couple of videos to show the issue and I think they are looking into this ?
    Lowering all settings has no effect, anyway, RR is running on rather high FPS (higher than before I had the issue ?), so my rather poor knowledge tells me that is not the problem.

Don't like to use the word, but this is really game breaking atm. I start RR every day - expecting/hoping the issue may be gone - and just quit after one or two laps. I really can't drive like this. Any new content will sadly be useless to me...
    Back to pCars and even AC... :(

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I did ask around and some testers had the same thing a while ago (stuttering despite > 60 fps), but it seems it was related to some sytem changes (updates) cause it kinda fixed itself for them. So sadly there's no particular hint I can recommend to remedy
    this.

Have you guys tried changing driver settings that might have an influence, like G-Sync or freesync or whatever else types there are? ;)
    From my pov it still makes the most sense to look for sth in the system, cause in-game there were no changes in a couple months, so sth else must have changed that now causes this.

Did you try installing the latest directx enduser runtime pack? It should be up to date if you have Win updates enabled, but just in case.
    I'd still be on the look-out for background processes that diminish the systems (gaming) performance.

10. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I agree it smells system related, but both cases for me only affected r3e, which is why I don't think it is a background process eating up resources. The major variable this time was the Windows update for me. Last time is was a motherboard (without reinstalling Windows).

My guess is some low level hardware interaction problem that some of us are unfortunate enough to have the perfect combo to trigger. Probably gonna be a tough one for the devs, but I'll be glad to help out if I can supply anything useful.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Yes, pCars and AC running really smooth (though with lower FPS).
    No background proceses as far as I can tell.
    So if it was system related, shouldn't other sims suffer too ?
    I mean, even on the lowest settings the stutter is present.

12. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yep, read somewhere else I think, that somebody had similar issues and solved them by performing an bios update...which sounds super weird to me. But apparently anything goes with Win10 and certain hardware combinations.

I thought it might be due to some feature like superfetch or memory compression, but in this case it wouldn't make sense that it only affects RR. This kinda point towards the directx runtimes, cause out of the three (RR, PC, AC) RR is the DX9 one. But then again, why doesn't it affect more people?
    Really puzzling, sorry fellas.
    If the devs come up with anything we'll surely let you know.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  13. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for insight Christian. When I get motivated I'll see about any sort of DirectX update.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Just to be sure and because I'm not sure I already asked: Which Windows version are you guys using exactly?
    You can check by pressing Windows key + R and entering "winver".
    I just realized that under certain circumstances you might still be on the second to last version if you've enabled the delaying of product upgrades.
    The latest Win10 is version 1607, build # 14393.447, is this the one you're using?

In case you're still on version 1511, you can download the upgrade installer for 1607 here: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=821403 maybe that does sth positive. ;) Mind tho that some people reported having issues with this latest version, but it's been out for several months now and I think they fixed the biggest f-ups, works as expected on my system.
    If you do, just make sure to check for updates after the upgrade cause there'll be a bunch of new updates even if your 1511 installation was up-to-date.

15. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I am on the latest Win version 1607, #14393.447.
    - uninstalled nVidia G-force experience (I had the broadcast disabled a week ago)
    - disabled Windows media player network sharing service,
    Still stuttering.

16. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I get stuttering too, even with a steady framerate. This is a regular (like every second) brief pause, only just noticable but enough to be distracting. I found that it seems to clear up if I run in (boarderless) window mode. I wondered if it was full-screen v-sync related - perhaps the game is synching at 59Hz and the monitor is at 60Hz or something? I seem to recall some issues with resolutions and refresh rates back when Windows 10 first launched.

I'm on the latest windows 10 64bit (1607) with an i5 4690k and a GTX1080 (which is just ticking over, regardless of the graphic settings)

17. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Suspected the refresh rate too, but Fanapryde said whatever he set, it didn't change. Default should be 144 Hz for him. Windowed doesn't work with triples, or does it?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Right, Windowed does not work with triples.
    Just tried it again to be sure.
    Also enabled VSync and while the issue is still present, it seems to be less.
    Either that or I am getting used to it...:rolleyes:

Is it even possible that VSync has an influence ?

It was suggested to me to uninstall the Win Anniversary edition, since it seems to be (on of the ?) triggers for the stuttering. But after all I went through to get my system running again after the update, I am somewhat reluctant do that. The update initially messed up A LOT of things...

Edit:

Nope.... After leaving R3E and starting it up again (resetting my FFB which for some unknown reason was completely changed) the stuttering is back in full force.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  19. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Idk which version the guys who experienced this and it fixed itself are on atm, gonna ask them and come back. Maybe they went back to 1511...

Think so, look at this post and the ones following it: https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...fter-windows-10-update.6096/page-5#post-90421
    Did you play around with those settings in the driver panel and in-game? Might be worth a shot...

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I read the post of Tarek and the rest.
    Set vSync in the Nvidia Control panel to FAST and diasabled it in-game: no change...:(

BUT: when enabling VSync in- game again, the stuttering IS GONE !!! YESSSSS !!!
    Drove several laps at Mid Ohio with the TT, tried all cameras. Can't believe it yet, but all is back to normal... Really relieved now :):):):):)

Thanks a million to Christian and everybody who helped.
    For the guys who have the same issue: try it, hope it works for you too !

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2