Problem Sudden massive fps drop

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by philipkihlman34, Mar 19, 2022.

1. philipkihlman34

philipkihlman34 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys,

So a while back my Raceroom started acting up, it went from a solid 120-130 fps to 20-40 fps, I had a weird crash playing another game but nothing more than that. The pc runs perfectly fine and I can play all other games just like normal, ACC for example runs perfect at 120 fps like always.

After doing a complete reinstall of Raceroom, Crewchief, Simucube Truedrive etc it all worked again. Until the first pc reboot, then it was back to unplayable frames. I tried just about anything with more windows clean installs, disc formats, updating all drivers etc etc. Until one day, changing usb-ports for my Simucube and my BJ pedals did the trick. It worked even rebooting and I thought my issue was solved. It wasnt.

A few days later my problems were back, this time nothing works. I have done another clean install of windows, format of both my discs, reinstalling Crewchief, Truedrive, Raceroom, tried it on both my ssd and my hdd, every single USB-port on the pc. Running without the wheel and pedals connected, running without Crewchief and Truedrive. This time, nothing works. I literally did nothing but install raceroom on a complete windows reinstall but nothing, the frames are terrible.

The rest of the pc runs perfectly fine, like said earlier so does ACC with wheel and pedals just like normal.

Does anyone of you have any idea what might be the issue? I am completely out of ideas at this point.

My pc specs are:
    Geforce RTX 3070
    Intel core i7-10700F
    32gb of ram

Using a 49" ultrawide monitor with a Simucube 2 Sport and BJ Simracing pedals.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated!

• Like Like x 1
  2. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    It sounds like the nightmare we all does fear.
    A sudden issue we cannot solve.
    Until you wrote "Running without the wheel and pedals connected" I was thinking it must have something to do with his wheel or pedals.
    But if it returns without these HW things removed then I would also be out of clue.
    But if you are 100% sure none of the problems does kick in with other sims/games then it must/could be something only activated when your system (even SW & HW reduced) meets Raceroom.
    But this reasoning is of no use for you.
    But to repeat myself then Im a bit sceptical if these massive issues doesnt show up in any of your other games.
    Even slightly?

3. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    What does GPU-Z show?

4. philipkihlman34

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It sure is a wierd issue, and yes, all other games I have tried, including other sims like ACC runs perfectly fine, with and without wheel and pedals. I am completely out of ideas.

5. philipkihlman34

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Will attach a screenshot from GPU-Z, seems it is running att 99% load for some reason even at low settings?

Attached Files:

6. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Where it says PCI @ x2 that's your issue. It should be running at x16. You may have to change this in BIOS. This is the same problem that @GooseCreature had a while back.
    This is a hardware setup rather than a game issue, in his case he also has good performance in other games.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. philipkihlman34

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for that answer, seems logic! Any idea on how one would do that on a GIGABYTE B460MDS3H? I have looked around in the bios both on easy and advanced settings but I cant seem to find any options.

8. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry I can't help you on that one. I'm no expert myself.

9. philipkihlman34

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the help, the issue has been fixed! It was as easy as taking the GPU out and putting it back for it to reset and run perfect at x16.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    So it was @ravey1981 ´s solution that helped.
    Congrats :D

11. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Although I do agree the issue is with the hardware and bios etc, what I want to know is what triggers it, I had it happen again recently and yet again coinciding with a RR update, this only happens after an update. With my MoBo it automatically detects at which X speed to run at. All other sims it still changes to X16 when starting said sim, in RR it stays at X2, now surely that is a RR issue? At the moment I've moved the GPU to another slot and the best I can get RR to run under is X8, still get over 120fps but not the point. Something is not reporting to my bios that X16 is required surely?

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Well that is incredibly weird. I'll ask people who know more about this stuff.....

13. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    @GooseCreature no particular reason why RR should be causing a problem. Advice is it's still most likely hardware related, perhaps a bad contact in slot 1. Advice is to blow it out with compressed air and try again. Slot 2 will usually always run slower as they are usually not rated to x16

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  14. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Both slots run @ X16 and all other sims switch to X16 whichever slot I use, RR usually does but not after an update, after an update it runs @X2, it was just by chance I found that slot 2 will run RR @ X8 (all other sims @ X16) it probably is hardware related but is a bloody mystery what triggers the bug, why only RR, no matter what software I fire up it switches to X16 but not RR. Weird!

15. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Yeah idk what's going on there. Can you force the board to always run x16 rather than adaptive?

16. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I wish, nah, pci-e is set to auto with no adjustment via bios.