T300 wheel build project

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fleskebacon, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Just finished today's project, a brand new steering wheel for my T300 base. Homemade button plate from 3 mm aluminium, real carbon fibre shifters, and finally an Arduino to wire it all up and connect to the wheel base without the need for an external USB cable hanging all over the place. The wheel fits onto the T300 base just like it's factory made.

It's always satisfying to build stuff with your bare hands. :)

I haven't seen this done properly anywhere on the web, so I'll just post a couple of pictures to brag about it all.

wheel1.jpg
    Button plate and shifters with everything wired up. It's quite a mess, but it all sits so close to the centre of the wheel, so it doesn't interfere with any hands or other stuff.

wheel3.jpg
    Finished product, OMP Targa 330 wheel.

Now: Beer.

• Like Like x 15
    • Creative Creative x 3
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 2
  2. Caledonian Wolf

Caledonian Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    Worth a brag in my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Wheel number 2 almost done. Only needs a couple of layers of paint and some wiring. Wiring is much easier on this one, because everything hooks up to the Pro-Race display. :)
    DSC_0059.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  4. G.Deurwaerder

G.Deurwaerder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    He Fleskebacon,
    What Arduino board??
    if I may ask

5. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    It's the Arduino Pro Mini. The smallest one available. :)

6. G.Deurwaerder

G.Deurwaerder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    oké thx buddy for the info,

and what software is there for?

7. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    I used software from this site:

http://rr-m.org/blog/arduino-nano-controlled-buttons-for-thrustmaster-wheelbases-part-3/

I used the software for TX Ferrari Wheel 16 buttons if I remember correctly. The software works perfectly with the T300 base.

The Arduino Pro Mini is identical to the Arduino Nano, only it has no USB interface. You have to solder it on, and then desolder it after you've done the programming.

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  8. StryderIT

StryderIT Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Your wheels are great! Just wondering if you are doing this for personal use as a challenge or if you plan to sell those in the future? Anyway keep up the good work.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! Unfortunately I have no plans to make these for selling. It's just too much work, because I have no machining facilities. The button plates are hand cut with a hacksaw and bench grinder, then hand drilled, polished and spray painted...

Sam Maxwell's custom wheels have been a huge inspiration to me, although I think the Ascher Racing carbon fibre paddle shifters are superior to Maxwell's paddles. Look him up on Google and check out his wheels. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. StryderIT

StryderIT Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the cross-reference, at the moment this exceeds the approved budget of my wife anyway, but your efforts are impressive. :grinning:

• Like Like x 1