Question Tearing vs input lag - is there a better solution?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by vlad 2, Aug 22, 2017.

1. vlad 2

vlad 2 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    So I think it's the antivirus. It blocked the process.
    It's kind of shady to trust an .exe from the internet somewhere.

2. Sascha Reynders

Sascha Reynders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    You always have to be careful from which sites you download stuff of course (that's why I didn't post any direct links) but there's nothing shady about D3DOverrider itself: it was part of RivaTuner which was one of the most popular third-party tuning utilities for Nvdia GPU's back in the days, sort of a precursor to today's NvidiaInspector. I've been using it for years without any issues, I have it starting up with Windows and my anti-virus has never blocked it. Never had it causing problems with Steam either.
    I don't force anything on in the global profile settings, and only force triple buffering on for the game exe's I add, vsync is always set in the games themselves (I believe the "force vsync on" option is only for -older- games that don't offer native vsync). I can't remember by heart what application detection levels I set for each game (not on my gaming PC right now) but I don't think I ever touched the default settings for those.

3. vlad 2

vlad 2 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I don't know any trustworthy sites to download it

4. Sascha Reynders

Sascha Reynders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Check your pm ;)

5. bojan.bogdanov

bojan.bogdanov Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Is it better to have vsync on in nvidia profiler and off in game or the other way around?

6. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    You're right, I got it confused with adaptive vsync :oops: It's been a while I played with these. Fast sync is basically proper triple buffering (with all of its advantages and disadvantages).

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Nvidia. Same thing as by default I THINK that in nvidia profile is "let the game decide" or whatever words are used.

And sorry for crossposting but there's another thread (maybe should be merged with this one?) where I just put a video that might help clearing somethings.

https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/caping-fps.9155/reply&quote=127506

8. bojan.bogdanov

bojan.bogdanov Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    So, vsync is better to be enabled in nvidia profiler than in game. Can you explain to me why? I would really like to know what is the difference.

9. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I said it's the same thing. It doesn't matter.

v-sync option in games are not implemented in the games themselves. Think about the option as a "button" to that GPU feature.

If anyone has evidence of otherwise, please say so.

/edit.

I noticed the "Nvidia." I don't know why it got like that and yes, now I understand why it's misleading.

• Like Like x 1