The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Then either you are an expert knowing that they shoukd be able to do so in reality - I would not able to tell such things so to me it is no issue -, or your AI slider is at a lower setting. The slider amongst others affects how early they start to brake into turns, and thta can interfere with their overtaking attempts, making them to break off.

I do not like the way they have designed to tailor AI difficulty, it varies the AI cometence by making it behave more or less stupid. I would prefer it edits simply its maxmum engine/speed putput, capping top speeds they can run at - while keeping their "cleverness" for doing overtakings, brakings, and cornerings.

One of the things were AC is less convincing for me. But in general the AI for me is a challenge. I use to run at 88-93%, depending on car class.

So, how you see the AI, depends on your own driving skill as well. For some average driver, the AI is good, for experts, an AI always will be deficitary. But that is true for other sims as well, including Raceroom. The only thing I liked to see in rF2, was the AI. But I bet even that one will be seen as deficitary by some drivers - very good ones.

2. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    AI is always set to 100% for me (can't remember after 1.8 or maybe even 1.7).
    Why AI's is stuped ? Because he is can't overtake slower road cars during lap or two, but ... After i'm overtake this car, AI's immedatly overtake this car too

3. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Maybe you pull the other with you, splipstream. Cannot say.

Maybe indeed ask this in Kunos forum, its an interesting question. Would like to know how others see it, and whether or not there is a technical answer. I know that the AI at 100% is 2% above default, and thus already handles track and car and physics perfectly, with superhuman precision (although 1.8 shud have implemented some artifically human margin of errors with their handling of traction). So what you see there could indeed be an artifact from that old problem we have had months ago, and that I usually called "car-trains". An Abarth 500 forms the locomotive, and ten Ferraris behind link up like waggons and get pulled by it... This old bug is no more after it had lived a miserable life for many months, but maybe some artifact survived.

Describe it in Kunos forum! Its too specific for this place here, I think. The answer will not be gotten here, I think.

4. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I tend to agree, the adaptive AI in RR - I did not like it earlier last year, but somethign has been cnaged there, and I now use it a lot, it works surprisingly good. But earlier last year, the AI was capable to present even more action and sprurised during a race event, that was before some change in I think early or mid summer last year.

However, the AI in AC has gone very long way, and regading the player vs the aI, it now often is really good. From my skill level, they are fast as hell, I have to tune them down. Stefano said some months ago he cannot keep up with them at default level, too.

But for the race as an event, the AI in raceroom seems to have the egde over AC, yes. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. rbn

rbn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Personally I find the AC AI better then the current R3E AI, it has improved quite a bit.
    I am not talking about raw pace or AI aggressiveness but they just dont smash in the player' car that often.

Some track/car combinations really make me cry in R3E, they are just to dumb to avoid my car it seems.
    If you stick to the ideal line there a probably oke, but I go wide once a while then they just smash in to me and not avoiding my car.
    Also very annoying if you pit at 50% of the race and get wrecked in the pit entry by the AI.

AC seems to be a lot safer towards the players car. Sometimes maybe to save... could use a bit more aggressiveness.
    But better that then having to restart the race every first corner.

So for me AC AI is less frustrating.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. gp20

gp20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    R3E AI is bad.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. Muca

Muca Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I have to agree. If I stay on ideal line they will never try to pass me. A few days ago I tried Assetto Corsa for the first time in 6 months. GTR3 is so much fun now. Tyre Version 7 is very good and the AI is fantastic compared to R3E, I finally can brake like in multiplayer. The downside is the AI is way too slow even at 100%. They are several seconds per lap slower than me with default setup and I am your joe average. Second problem is the BoP, it doesn't exist.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Paul a.D.

Paul a.D. Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
  10. Paul a.D.

Paul a.D. Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
  11. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I say as Morpheus in Matrix: "One cannot be told or shown what VR is like on a 2D screen, you have to experience it through the lenses of a VR headset for yourself to understand it's awesomeness" ;)

12. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Now then chaps... Who'd like to try and entirely untested version of Crew Chief for Assetto Corsa?

This is a work-in-progress and is still being actively developed, and it's not my work - I'm just incorporating the work done by the very clever sportcorp into my code base and packaging it up. We need testers to help squash the bugs and be sworn at :)

The update should be automatic, and will add a new folder called CrewChiefEx to where-ever you installed the app (C:\Program Files (x86)\Britton IT Ltd\CrewChiefV4 or whatever). You need to copy this to your Assetto Corsas Apps folder then enable this in-game Python app in the regular Assetto Corsa apps gui (or something like that - I did say I haven't tested it yet :)), then select Assetto Corsa from the app's game list and watch as it sets fire to your house / works perfectly / somewhere in between

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to, please - lack of crew chief and editable AI skills are the two main drawbacks I have with it. Not sure how much time I can devote to testing, but happy to give it a shot.

Will have a look later.

14. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I have done betatesting in the past, and know how much time it can need, but cannot afford that time now. But if you want just some feedback and subjective opinions in a non-systematic manner, count me in.

Nice to see that this app is happening!

15. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Oooops, seems events went much faster than my reaction! Congrats for release. Thanks for make it happen, guys!

16. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Well.

17. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    The full announcement by Marco.

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/marco-massarutto-on-ac-console-update.125972/

Not just smooth graphics and screen tearing have been solved, but also issues with several wheels, rebalanced and additional difficulty levels. And more tunings and additonal features are coming later.

Some people think it was a rough start, any maybe it was for some - for some more, for others less. However, a start is not the whole race, nor its ending. The journey has just begun. I'm following Kunos now since several years, and since netKart. They sometimes needed time. But they always had their deeds where their mouth was. Always.

What strikes me, is this: I use to frequently - not often, but just on a regular basis - consultate maybe half a dozen internet media platforms dealing with racing sims, which I learned to respect over the past three years or so. And all of these 5 or 6 channels have given the console versions a good and warm greeting. State of things cannot be that bad. :)

P.S: Crewchief app n AC works quite good, btw! Get it, its a must have in raceroom and I would say it is a must have in AC as well. AC, suffering from a more sterile atmosphere than Raceroom, even gains more immersion from it, maybe.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  18. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    AC has received another of those few real must-have mods out there, a track of such an outstanding quality that it deserves to be mentioned here and to make sure nobody misses it. The team around Darren Blythe from simHQ has - after two years work! - released their version of VIR Virginia Raceway, and I tell you, this track is so damn good that you could swear it was a commercial pro release. They have gone as far as to model the whole place and infield perimeter as well, all the non-race-essential infrastructure, and plenty of trackside objects bringing the place to much more life than you are used to in AC. The track includes all versions and variations, and drives and looks gorgous. A nice idea is that they have hidden some codes on posters scattered around the track, to encourage people to take some time and manually explore the place (free flight in replay) and by doing so learning to appreciate the beauty of the place and the complexity of work that this projects has culminated in. With those codes, a couple of features and hero objects get unlocked, which are stored as locked exe files in the installation folder, and cannot be triggered without these codes - once you have them, you can install these things, for example the famous oak (so no, it is NOT missing at all).

This is a tricky and quite dangerous track to drive, there are many corners, it goes over ups and hills, and it is very narrow. You either love it, or you hate it. I was made by this version to love it. Its great - especially with the cars categorized in AC as "sports cars", "small sports cars".

Two videos, the first illustrating the track in AC, first in cockpit, than from trackside camera, and the second to compare to iR's version - the simHQ team really got extremely close to that quality in IR .

LINK - VIR in AC (okay, its one of my favourite cars, the BMW M4, but you might want tio jump the first 35 seconds)

LINK - VIR in iR

A bonus: yes, this also is VIR! :) LINK

Its all free. So don't miss this track! Its superb.

VIR might be a goal that Raceroom also wants to set its eyes on... Certainly a worthy addition to the track list. I imagine the 1992 and classical touring cars there - nice dream!

P.S.
    Unlocked all boni now. The kart track is swerious fun with the Lotus 25, up to 10 cars can be on track, the aI handles it.

And this is not just visual detail: the map shows all what you can drive on: the racetrack, but also all the public traffic roads!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  19. Alexander Dornieden

Alexander Dornieden Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    Was practising at Spa with the Ferrari for the GTC championship by Virtual Racing. Here is my fastest hotlap so far....

Hope you enjoy :)

20. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Found this on RD:

[​IMG]
    Jockey

Assetto corsa now days:

Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console Console

+ QuoteReply
    • [​IMG] Agree x 13

:D:D