The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Kunos confirmed that the upcoming console patch will include the very nice road track Black Cat County, which has three variations, and the Maserati Levante. Do not underestimate the fun this SUV can bring. I found it to be great fun to drive, and very satisfying. All the slower street cars in Ac can be great driving experiences, and be used for close bumper-to-bumper racing.

The first of three Porsche packs for the PC seems to include a Spyder 918.

2. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Much as I started to appreciate AC a lot, I personally find no joy in either of those.

Looking forward to finding out the contents of the Porsche packs though; seems the first one will probably have the 918 and 1974 RSR in, the 2017 Panamera has been previewed a few times too, which I could not care less about so I'd guess it will be the free car with the first set.

3. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    So what do you reckon guys, with rf2 going dx11 and having vr support along with more content will it start to rival and maybe even take some of ac customer base?

4. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Don't think so. Most people that do not like rF2, surprisingly refuse it not due to the old looks , but the way it feels to drive it, me included (surprising I say because it is often claimed rF2 is amongst the elite regarding physics). These visual changes - not to mention that they will need some longer time to implement - do not affect this driving experience, so I expect the base crowds of both titles staying what they are - and where they are. People right now prefer the one or the other titles due to different reasons than looks.

rF2's development cycle was too slow and there is too little content, and thats why they are lagging behind. AC excelled in its development format and is more modding-friendly, and thats why it is in the lead.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Tom Shane

Tom Shane Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    rF2 drives and feels good. If they manage to put more polish to it, use new graphics engine, deliver new slick UI and keep creating new quality content, it will certainly find more users. Count me in.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Mihai

Mihai Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Maybe some will come to rF2 but it doesn't mean they will stay. Maybe some of you will bash me but, we are talking about different degrees of realism here between rF2, AC, PCars and R3E. I'm not denying the realism of the last 3 but compared with rF2, are accessible to more players who don't want or don't have time to learn/adapt to rF2 driving style.
    Some will stay, some will go.
    However, is to early to talk about how rF2 will look in the- near, let's hope- future.

7. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    well let's see what happen. A move to DX11 does not necessarily mean, that it will look better or any different. If they want to go into VR they might just want to have the additional capabilities that DX11 delivers especially in terms of Multithreading.

8. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    AC chief Stefano seems to have no clue about Fanatec wheels specs (btw: Fanatec uses AC on their public rigs during the Sim Racing Expo, go figure)

Watch from 33:30 (plus minus) He speaks about missing FFB in sim wheels (including Fanatec) and how nice it would be to have this feature.
    My old fanatec CSR wheel bas these rumble motors to produce the effect he is talking about, as well as my actual Porsche 918 RSR and the Formula Carbon... and Stefano does not know !? :rolleyes:
    How sad is that... Maybe he should play a little less guitar and read some manuals in his free time.
    Not that he cares, since we (Fanatec owners) have to rely on third party software to get our rev lights and LCD screens going, along with the rumble motors on our pedals.
    This clears things up for me, now I understand why AC "support" forum is marking these issues as NON ISSUES...they just have no clue....

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Tom Shane

Tom Shane Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Why would he care about one specific feature of not-so-mainstream wheels, when he can play guitar in his free time? If every wheel would have it and it would become a standard, he would most likely make it work in AC, I bet.

10. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Actually there are several photos scattered around at Facebook and so on that show that they are using - amongst others - Fanatech wheels in their development offices as well as during presentations. Every studio needs to use wheels of all the kinds it supports. And I bet they know quite well what default effects which wheel has, and what not.

Maybe somebody once again misunderstood what kind of physics and effects Stefano indeed is talking about...!? Or thinks this forum and thread is the right place to settle a private score and turn personally derogatively or hostile against a developer?

One can make critical remarks one wishes to make without turning to this kind of derogative tone that only gives the impresison that one has some personal thing to settle with the developer.

The video is 13 months old. I myself do not have the habit to watch videos that old of games I do not like or have no interest in. Instead I would have left the whole game behind since that time.

11. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    And while I am at it: the missing LEDs on Fanatech wheels thats ome people have - is due to lacking or broken driver support by Fanatech, and/or individual installation/reinstallation problems. ;) Do not expect Kunos to fix stuff and do the homework that is Fanatech's. Studios can do that if they wish, but they certainly have no obligation to do so. Where it were Kunos' part in the past that LEDs did not work, Logitech LEDs for example, they made these working. My LEDs initially did not work and I had to use Fanaled, the mistake was with Kunos and they implemented it later, long time ago.

P.S. Also check this thread. Again it indicates Fanatech driver problems. One year old.
    http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/fanatec-driver-issue.109310/

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  12. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Tom, I think you may have misunderstood my post. It is not that I (or other Fanatec users) want the rumble motors to work, since they are alive when using Fanaleds.
    They also work without Fanaleds or other third party support in other sims...
    My point is that it is a supported wheel/base (they are using them them too, along with other brands) and they fail to know the specs (mainstream wheel or not, it is not that I am the only one using it).

13. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    which is exactly my point in case you missed it. They are using them and while ALL the wheels functions work in every other sim without further interference or help from third party software, in AC they don't.
    Well, then probably all Fanatec owners misunderstood, also the ones that attented me to this video.
    And Skybird, last time I checked you were either the owner or moderator of this forum. You started this thread, but it does not give you the right to tell others what is allowed and what not. My post was informative, without bad language. I feel the tone you are using to me borderline offending and it is not the first time either.
    I got the link to the video from another Fanatec owner and did not check the date. But it is of no importance anyway since the rumble motors in Fanatec wheels are present since several years, even my old CSR Elite (4 or 5 years) has them.

Now here are two possibilities:
    You either are:
    - misinformed (I like to believe this is the case)
    - writing BS
    For starters: NOT ONE Fanatec wheel (without third party software) has the rev lights working in AC (just in case you want to imply that I am missing something). And including a smiley after suggesting that I am doing something wrong is not cutting it either.

Second: it is not only the rev lights, it is also the LCD screen that shows gear and/or speed and more info, it is also the two sticks on the wheel that can have up to 12 different functions that are not recognized. If this was Fanatecs fault, they would not work in other sims either, but they do...
    Third party software is needed to get them to be recognized in AC.

Third: I contacted and got answers from both ENDOR/FANATEC and FANALEDS about these issues and they both point at Kunos.
    As a cherry on the pie, there is Stefano admitting it, when asked during one of his shows. I did not watch it (I never do) but his answer was posted on a few forums. I don't remember his exact words but it came down to the point they could try to change something in a code, but they chose not to, because it was complicated and it could trigger other issues...
    Clear enough ?

Nothing new here. It is not Fanatecs newer firmware that breaks the rev lights, it is each time KUNOS updates something. Have you even read the last post in this topic ? I guess not...

14. WuWu

WuWu Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Who needs soap operas when you have this thread? ;)

15. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I'm glad you're enjoying it :D

16. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    Let's think of a good Sergio Leone Western:
    Who's the good one, who's the bad one and who's the ugly one?
    Lol, fitting to Italy.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. WuWu

WuWu Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    The ugly one definitely has to be automobilista, it's like real life: it has a personality, but nobody cares and it sits crying in a corner about how pretty project cars is.

When assetto corsa drops by with it's entourage, mayhem ensues, everybody is calling everybody names and assetto proclaims itself to be the best ever with italian flair, inspite of what anyone thinks. Meanwhile R3E is just observing all this and going about it's business.

Despite all their differences, nobody dares to mention the abomination called iracing.

Edit: Everybody forgot all about Rf2 (And so did I), DX11 or not.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  18. Pfalzdriver

Pfalzdriver Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    Not entirely correct. :)
    Both sticks are recognised by AC, you just dont have a chance to assign any function ... unless you use 3rd party software, like joy2key. Thats something Fanatec-Users (like myself) are complaining about since 2013, and Kunos isnt able to fix this.

19. Tom Shane

Tom Shane Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    It's not just for Fanatecs, On Thrustmaster wheels (and I can imagine other ones too) you can't assign direction pad buttons too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    The decision to limit the available commands for button remapping in the hardware options, certainly is questionable. But the problem here is the key mapping options design, not lacking support for the hardware. My Logitech wheel is affected as well. Its the only reason why I need to use Logitech manager software for AC (the only game where I use this crappy piece of Logitech software), so that I can assign keyboard commands to the wheel that the game options do not list as remappable.

Some more options were made available recently, however, since they were needed to be available for remapping with a new car.

However, Kunos design decision in this regard indeed is worth to be criticised. But precise aiming when criticising nevertheless is recommended.

Note that Logitech wheels can behave strangely different between games. While I cannot use all buttons in AC if not using the Logiotech manager software to start the game, in raceroom the wheel works arratically if I wopuld use the Logitech software, it works flawless if not launching the Logitech software. What is broken here, now? AC? RR? Logitech Manager, old or new version? My rig? I have stopped trying toi make sense of it, and opportunistically have come to run the procedures needed to get the wheel working flawlessly in a given game.