The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Alexander Dornieden

Alexander Dornieden Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    Just tested the new Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport a bit and i really really like it! Have to get used to this new car so ofc my lap wasn't that perfect. But still, hope you guys enjoy this video :)

Feedback is highly appreciated

• Like Like x 1
  2. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I would really like to know how does the 917/30 drive in AC?

Obvious powerslides aside, is it as flat and lifeless as AC cars in general are (with understeer to boot)?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. w.velgersdijk

w.velgersdijk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Hi,looks very good. At the moment i don't have Asseto Corsa,but after dit i am going to buy it fore sure.

4. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Thats either a dud of a joke, or the intent of a provocation. ;)

Assuming you already have switched off stability control in the game options (not TC or ABS), which would explain your description if being left on.

917 is a speed beast,and it easily bites. On the Nordschleife:
    Video-LINK

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  5. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    No, it's not a provocation but an honest queston and an honest opinion from someone who have never used Stability Control. No point in purchasing Porsches if they just look pretty but are dull to drive.

Re 917/30, is it as dull as the Lotus 98t, easy to powerslide off the track, a lot of speed but otherwise pretty meh. Sorry too late here for me to describe it better.

E: I'll check the video tomorrow.
    E2: please don't assume I'm an effin noob with these racing simulators.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  6. Yevgeny Lazorenko

Yevgeny Lazorenko Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +793 / 0 / -0
  7. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    It is this sort of feedback I'm looking for:

8. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Its just that I have a hard time to take it serious if the probably most agile physics experience on the market currently, gets described as offering cars feeling "flat and lifeless" in general.

The resulting driving experience in AC is what sets it apart from practically every other title there currently is. Flat and lifeless are the last adequate descriptions, I think. In numbers stuff, one or two other titles like rF2 theoretically may do this and that detail better, but the overall general result when driving is where AC trumps.

;)

On the 917, I leave it to others to assess that one, its just not cup of tea. I chased it around classic Monza with steep turns, and it was a hell of a ride, yes - but its not what I look for when seating myself behind a wheel. It surely needs a solid ammount of attention to keep it under control. It reminded me of the Mercedes C9, another car that I never use, for pretty much the same reasons: too insane, too easy to spin, too prone to loosing traction. And yes, too difficult for me.

The Moby Dick I dislike, simply that. A brick dreaming to be a ball, thats what I thought about it after the first lap.

The other six Porsches all blow me away. Each of them excels in what it does, for different reasons in every car. I wonder whether they really can keep up this level of diversity in the upcoming 16 Porsches. Two things time and again caught my attention: their brakes, and their surprising agility ( not so much in the SUV, but for an SUV, it still is remarkable). Like a combination of the best qualities from the Aventador, 488, and the Lotus sportcars' easy handling.

But then, if I focus on racing, I go to Raceroom anyway, it just handles race events better. AC is my day's choice when i am more for driving "ordinary" street and sportcars.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Alexander Dornieden

Alexander Dornieden Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    Had a pretty funny race against Jan Stange. Lots of drifts and close racing! Hope you enjoy :)

Feedback is as always highly appreciated!

• Like Like x 1
  10. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Skybird, thanks for the informative post. It must be a personal preference but for me AC feels most lifeless of them all, especially the racecars. Won' t elaborate now as I'm at work (long days recently).

11. rd.king

rd.king Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    If the people from Porsche like the physics model from AC enough to pay for it.
    Man that's good enough for me.
    For those who feel that it's not good enough, well they can go drive licensed Porsches
    in all those other race sims.
    Oh Ya ! that's right there are no other licensed Porsches in race sims.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    i think AC payed porsche ;; not the other way around

and there still exist licensed porches in other games ......

how come we forget so easily the past ......

Andi

• Like Like x 3
  13. rd.king

rd.king Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Porsche hired kunos to produce the version of AC pro that they use in the official Porsche simulators
    for the racing event centers and car shows and the like.
    With this deal Kunos was able to license the Porsche cars regardless of any exclusive contract Porsche may have with others.
    This is why Kunos is allowed to state the cars are in AC due to their partnership with Porsche.
    And if the folks that design and build the cars think AC is good enough for them.
    It's good enough for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Details of licensing deals hardly ever get made known to the public, Porsche in this case seems to have approached Kunos and offered the license, also, as Kunos reported some days ago in a special editorial on either Facebook or Race Department, they were extremely interested to offer Kunos best working conditions for the photography sessions needed to get the details for modelling the car: they had a prototype of their car, the 918 Spyder I think, set up not just in a separated compartment, but in a professional photography studio - which was a first for Kunos, Massarutto explained. Considering that interior and cockpit modeling is one of those domains of AC where it leads the pack, for a car maker it is logical only if he wants to get a 3D model for virtual marketing to then pick the studio that has a specials trength in right this: interior car modelling. Porsche asked Kunos to also include some cars that Porsche wanted for promotion reasons and that Kunos originally had no inention to create. Massarutto also said Porsche drowned them in techncial data about the cars and engineer feedback, to a degree that was also unknown to Kunos, I think they even got a good ammount of sensible information on the basis of trust. So, their working conditions with Porsche indeed seem to have been kind of extraordinarily good.

Earlier, Kunos said that several car brands are "standing in line" to get included in Kunos' simulation, and that they have more requests by car makers than they could accept, due to their own limited resources.

So while Kunos is in a comfortable position there, it still does not mean that they must not pay for licenses. But I assume that many car makers are willing to offer them a very good deal, since they seem to want something from Kunos as well for their own promotion purposes.

All this and Massarutto's obviously good connections have allowed them to land quite some coups regarding licensing, with Lambhorgini and Porsche being the loudest bombs going up so far.

I wish that track licensing would work as comfortable for Kunos as does the car licensing! But the trophy for the best track pool in the sim racing genre, is rightfully claimed by Raceroom. I wonder how SimBin did that. Some of the licenses, namely Suzuka, I would expect to have been extremely expensive.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  15. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    ok ... still doesnt take away that there are porsches in other games

Andi

16. goldtop

goldtop Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Looks like you had a great race, however (and this is not intended to be a reflection of your driving skills btw) I think the cars just look totally unrealistic: Catching full on oversteer moments like that through paddock....maybe in a well sorted M3 but in a 3.0 RSR no way! From a spectator point of view the cars resemble a couple of flymos and what is all that centre pivoting wobble nonsense about?

I was ready to reinstall AC because of the Porsche content but so far I'm not convinced. Maybe they feel better on track than they look in replay o_O

17. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Private-made mods. Porsche licensed only EA. And that is over ten years ago, a longtime deal wanted by EA to gain an "Alleinstellungsmerkmal". I do not know however how the status currently is with that. And RUFs are not touched by a Porsche license.
    At least they feel very different, each of them. :) And as I said earlier: they got a prime deal on tech data and engineer feedback from Porsche. So I would assume there had some quite good reasons why they made the Porsches the way they behave. Which does not rule out that they had this or that detail gotten wrong, and maybe correct it later. Happened before, too, and can happen.

The diversity is the fun in this package. Drive a Cayman GT4 or S (versus "sportcars"), next the 911 Carrera RSR 3.0 (versus its kind or the Yellowbird for fun), and then the 918 Spyder (versus "Hypercars") - and then you know what the term "contrast" is about! :D For a closing experience pick the 917/30 last.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  18. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    wow ... we are so trapped in the present that we can no longer see the past ...
    GTL
    GTR
    GTRĀ²

all had/have porsche cars
    ok not modern but there

Andi

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    It really doesn't matter how much tech data Porsce has given to Kunos if the sim engine itself is of simplified nature. Still pondering if I should free some HD-space by uninstalling the game or try some Porsches first (at the weekend). There's the refund option..

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Porsche DLC: worth it, that's all

• Disagree Disagree x 1