The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    What AI settings are you using if you get from back to front after a couple of laps? I've not really gotten to test it much yet and it appears that it's still too easy to make places at the start, but if I have the AI difficulty set to 90-95% I end up around mid pack. Seems I need to play more with aggression as cars behind are still a bit too timid and reluctant to attack me (unlike current Raceroom, but like Raceroom a couple of versions ago), but certainly I can make it difficult to work my way forward. I'm not the quickest though and I can see that better drivers than I would have no challenge at 100% probably.

2. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Maxed out (100% both difficulty and aggression). I usually take 15 to 25 opponents depending on the track.
    One track where I don't succeed in getting into the lead (5 laps-16 cars) is Vallelunga Club. There is always one or two that manage to stay in front... But that is probably just me not liking that track...:D

3. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I did a trackday setup (endless practice) with AI skill at 95, range 5 (gives oyu the AI drivers varying between 100 and 90), and aggression 85. Magione, small sports cars. What I got and saw I could not differ from events at just any oublic server trackday event. Some cars were much faste rthna me, others much slower, they poicked fihts with each other everywhere, some cars messed it up, two cars spinned out, and me and one or two other cars rubbing dorrs while moving through turns and corners was not rare.

I must admit I start to rate this as an AI being amongst the very best out there.

However, in faster, more sensible, cars like hyper cars, fast open wheelers and the like, even GT3 cars, I would recommend to tone down the aggression. The aggression slider influences the aI to take risks and move over the sidelines in its move to overtake, and if thne it moves over the curbs or bumpers and the car is a sensitiv eone and at high speed already, it can end up in disaster. So the more aggressive, fast and sensitive the cars are you have in race, the less aggressiveness you may want to use. Slower cars and sportscars I use with up to 90.

I have had many situations now where I could not differ the AI from a human. Of course there still are the tpyical problems with the aI as well, that every AI has, especially being to slow in corners. Aris explained what happens there, and one can see why it is so difficult to solve:

I expect that it basically is the same core problem in other sim'S AI.

I honestly cannot say that Raceroom has a clear lead in the AI department any longer, like before 1.14. Stefano scored impressive achievments there.

Of course, saying this from the perspective of a non-alien driver. AI will never be a challenge for really superfast drivers. But i see it from the perspective of the huge crowd (which includes me :) ), the probably huge majority of ordinary drivers. And for them, both RR and also AC now offer very good and entertaining AIs.

This afternoon, I will test and compare Audi TTs on shared tracks and in both sims, to get a comparing impression under more "standardised" conditons. :) The Audis in the update I like very much, the two TT cars feel incredibly similar in both sims. I launched the Audis first after the update - and thought it were Raceroom's cars (handling- and driving-wise).

edit: P.S.

Michael Hornbuckle put it short and precise why the AI sometimes goes suicidal in overtaking when the aggressiveness is high:

"The whole point of high aggression is for them to want to overtake so bad that they don't care what part of the track they are on when they think the opportunity presents itself. Lower the aggression setting and they will show a bit more patience before trying a move."

Also, Aris said that the AI skill is not just influenced by the range slider, but also by time passing during a race. AI drivers can go through cycles, start with high performance, then fall into a little performance valley when for example tiring, and then get a boost again after having had a "nap". Or the other way around, stuff like this. the perfomance of one AI driver does not remain static over the full race.

I
    have not seen the feared car trains, or singleline trails as Aris called them, since 1.14. Not even just once. And when I kept an AI car behind me for some time, often the cars behind that AI car suddenly attacked, and overtook us both. I also have many situaiton of ovettaking-reovertaking when I behave stuoid or end up being too fast in turns, overshooting a bit. The AI attacks when it sees the chance. And it will not just fall back and snap when you overtook it: it stays in your neck and strikes back as early as possible if its hardware allows. Also, it stays beside you, if you are not fast enough to finish the move, stubbornly, on straights, and in turns and esses. They just do not give up now, if they must not. Grrrreat!

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  4. Lino Carreira

Lino Carreira Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Really dont agree with some opinions , at least for now .... graphics, handling , FFB and even sound that had Raceroom miles apart from anything else isnt like that anymore.... but thats an opinion ofc

5. juan Fafian

juan Fafian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    ac= lifeless game managed by an egocentric capricious bald man.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    An extremely successful egocentric capricious bald man. ;) :)

7. Patrick van der Meulen

Patrick van der Meulen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Just like that other chap named Ian Bell, although not bald as far as I know. Doesn't to bad either... ;):)

And we all can debate for hours and hours, but at the end it always comes to your own preferences. Some like this, some like that. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong. ;)

8. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Agree to that.
    BTW: Ian Bell may look like a Wookie, but I believe he is bald too...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    well, define bald... ;)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    It seems a bit epidemic;)
    upload_2017-5-20_18-39-25.png

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  11. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    You should see me. Bald as bald can be. :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. Patrick van der Meulen

Patrick van der Meulen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Then I saw older pics when I Googled him. From some hair ago... :p

13. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    BTW, bald men have 20% bigger brains. Thats where the offside-rule is located.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Or it's just involvement in simracing that makes people lose hair.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    The SimBin/SMS Ian Bell was always more or less bald, even on pictures dating back to SimBin days.
    [​IMG]
    Actually I think you might have seen a photo of another Ian Bell, who is also a game developer and the creator of the original Elite game series, one of the first games ever to use 3D wireframe graphics and a first-person view:
    [​IMG]
    Tho I guess it's safe to assume that he's lost most of that top since then either...

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
  16. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    The samples it self aren't that bad in AC. As the Fonseker-sound-mod shows, they can be better. But that alone doesn't help that much as it still sounds a bit syntetic - like playing different samples for different situations. pretty much noteable while watching a replay of an Group A BMW M3 E30.
    In addition - Revving the engine of a car while it is standing is rediculuos...

17. nickyjj2011

nickyjj2011 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    i never owned assetto corsa until a couple of days ago i think the patch with ai has transformed the game, the ai are very good.
    went back to raceroom and got rammed of the track as well as the magnetic field bug. i love raceroom but it has some issues that could do sorting out..

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mmaruda

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    The AI in Raceroom requires a certain way of navigating around the track to be appreciated. If you leave them room and don't defend your lines, they will crawl up on your side and at this point they are the ones expecting you to make a smart choice and leave them room. You know, like every simracer making complaints about AI not being aware of the player. :) So basically, they just use the same dirty sneaky overtaking manoeuvres that a player would and they expect you to respect their presence. So when they do crawl up on your inside, you need to make a tough choice of either fighting, provided you still got some power in those wheels, or to back down and let them pass. That is racing - if someone is faster then you, you let them pass or moneys go down the drain on repairs, not to mention hospital bills. That said, they pinball collision physics don't really make trading paint a viable strategy.

The AI in Assetto is still not there. As I said earlier, they are crap a driving old and powerful cars now and a lot of the whole battling for position feels like it's for show. They take forever to actually make a successful move.

I did play a bit of Grid Autosport today and the AI there is on a completely other level than what you see in racing sims. There is battling going on across the whole field and while the game hardly makes a point to encourage clean racing, the collision physics and damage are on a whole new level compared to anything in the realism category.

I think that all this talk about FFB and tires among the community throughout the years have put some of the crucial aspects of simulating a racing environment completely on a side track. So it's 2017 and people get hyped about an AI update to Assetto, which is still light years away from stuff that arcade games had for ages now. Grid Autosport actually has driver characteristics, you can hire better team-mates, which actually are faster and take better lines and in each race the dudes from Ravenwest will always come in top 3. Meanwhile, Assetto's best is this random variation mechanic that certain drivers might slow down or go faster after a few laps.

19. nickyjj2011

nickyjj2011 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    hi mmaruda
    thats what i mean pinball collision physics you mentioned i dont really have a problem with the ai. its the collision physics which are way off. maybe the ai is a bit aggressive but i think the slider idea would be great. the current aggressiveness of the ai when racing open wheel cars doesnt make sense. on touring car yes its good. but i slider idea would let us decide on what we race.

20. mmaruda

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Give it some time and practice. Once you are able to find an AI setting that suits your driving and run at a more or less consistent pace, you won't be hitting the AI and they won't hit you (most of the time). If you run a clean race, pinball physics aren't an issue. :)

• Agree Agree x 2