The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Pcars AI is not too bad despite they like to cut track and have a tendency to rear end you. Other than that, they do put up a good fight. I love that their AI has some sort of personality where some on the grid are slower while some are more aggressive. Those races with an AI or two constantly breathing down your neck is fantastic. It does evoke a feeling of the grid has both pro and am drivers in it to a certain extent.

R3E AI felt more consistent as they felt more like a bunch of pros that are really consistent. I think S3's AI cornering ability is fantastic as this is the only game that I am confident enough to go door to door with the AI. They also do not spread out as much as other games, including pcars.

AC AI, I don't know how to describe it, even with the new AI. It is good but the intense racing experience isn't there as it is easily found in other games. I guess it is due to too many mismatched cars in the game that made the racing really dull, other than single makes. The new AI amplified the mismatched class and asking the users to make up their own classes just show that how lazy they are. Default BoP is a must in a racing game, not asking users to combine their own classes and deal with poor car selections. I do like their variable ultra grip on corner exit where sometimes you can see the AI trying to catch their car after losing grip for a quarter of a second. Their AI's straight line behavior is probably the most realistic.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Try something like normal Monza or Imola, basically anything with a long straight that ends is heavy braking. I think I had it set to around 86 and 45 aggression. Track conditions green.

3. Cheeseman

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Probably the vintage cars are not tuned right for the new AI. The 98T was pretty undrivable for a while in early access because the AI can't control well.

Does that happen with other classes such as road cars or GT3?

4. mmaruda

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Nope. Just old stuff, which is a pain because that is what I mostly drive. Need to check how this will work with full qualifying, maybe the artficial idiots need practice.

5. Cheeseman

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    That's a bit disappointing as the old stuff in AC is probably their best cars in the game.

The 917K is probably the best classic car I drove in a game. It is like a mad german bull with terrible aero.

6. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    That was my most wanted car of the whole Porsche DLC and in the end I did not like it that much. There is a 917K mod for RF2 which is A LOT better. Still a mad german with terrible aero, but in my mind this one feels like it it supposed to feel.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  7. mmaruda

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Good brakes though.

Anyway, I managed to pull off a clean race at Monza with a full grid. AI was set to 82 and 35 aggression. I also pulled the Ford GT out of the equation, maybe that was the reason they fumbled. Still the first run through Rettifilio or whatever it's called is very messy. I suppose somewhere in there there are settings that can yield good results, it's just too bad you need to spend so much time fiddling to find the optimum and re-adjust for every new vehicle and track set.

One interesting thing I noticed also is some serious frame drops in replays when there is a lot of cars on screen at the same time. CPU and GPU were at normal percentages, but what looked weird was some really odd FMOD spikes corresponding to frame drops.

8. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Now we are talking. ;)

I ws able to replicate what you said at Monza, 717K's at AI 95 +/-5, aggression 85 and then 45. In the first chicane, severla cars could not control their braking and slided into each other, pushing each other off the track.

Looked like what I call the "primadonna-car"-problem.

I made two more race tests,m at the other end of the car specxtrum, and from the middle of it. Aggression back to 85, skill 95, range 5. Track slow (lower grip).

First I used racing Abarths. They went off and through the chicane without a single incident. Absolutely clean and smooth, and fast.

Then I set up a full field of Ferrari 488 GT3s. Aggression still 85. And again, the cars raced off, approached fast, braked clean, and went through the chicane smooth and clean.

It is no general problem with the Ai there, but a car-specific problem, and I expect that there are other cars that find such turns problematic as well. The problem is that the AI and their charcateristic ophsics do not go well together, since the cars by design are too sensible, too unrested, the are "hystericals" thgta already loose their tails maybe if just thinking aboiut "braking now", not to mention that they take even the mildest contact very queer. The lack of attitude and stability while beign very fast at the same time is th e problem. Such cars are in Raceroom as well, and probably in any other sim there is. Fast top speed and acceleration and low grip and bad stability, is nothing the ai likes. Modern F1 cars also often show this.

So it is not so much a general problem of the aI on a given track with ANY car, but with some cars. I call them primadonna cars. These cars all have somethign in common - I avoid driving them, since I already myself find them extrenmely difficult to drive, not to mention: driving them competitively.

The 717 often swings of the track and to the soutside of turns, they are just no trains on rails. They are like this. I saw that at Monza 1966 yesterday, just without these drastic consequences. Many humans struggle to master them. The AI as well.

You could experiment what you get if having zero range in AI, and aggression to 0, and skill either at 100 or 85 or soemthing, reducing variation and aggresison to the minimums. I doubt hiowever that it will cure the 717K is such critical combos when being in packs. Note that the cars slip thoruhg clean if beign alone. It is the poack racing in these turns the cars find problematic. The turn-one- problem.

I mostly use the AC categories of "sports cars", "small sports cars", GT3/GTE" cars, and modern sin gle cars like the Audi TTs or Abarths. Also sometimes the slower open wheelers that drift easily but are not as fast, even hypercars at times. With these cars, i never see such problems. I try monza modenr agai n now with F40s and Huayras, tweo more of my so-called primadonna cars. If I do not repprt back, you can assume that there was nothing to report and they raced clean through that chicane.

And after that I must see - and hopefully will not kill by reflex - the dentist. :eek:

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  9. mmaruda

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    A lot of the problem with what you call primadonna cars could be solved by changing the setup. The usual, stiffen the suspension, lower brake pressure, put brake bias more to the rear, deflate tires and so on. I wonder if the AI would do better, if they drove cars that are "fixed" like this. Do they even use setups?

10. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    This seem to be supported by random bloke in the pub, Aristotelis in his video on weight transfer.

Don't trust everything though, he also claims to be the Physics Guy at Assetto Corsa. And has a strange fetish for pushing people over.

11. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    It surely got debated, I assume, but I did not pay attention and so I do not kn ow how the AI handles setups, and what the default setups are like, and why. As lonmg as there are no pitstops in SP, I did niot care so far, and took things as they are.

The video above shows that you can in fluence cars obviously, but one should not expect to turn them into a completely different car that it never was made to be. A Porsche 717 will never be even close to the handling of an Audi TT and it sfeeling of being glued to the track.

If a car has realtievyl weak brakes, and is of a kind that it needs high refs and a bit of controlled drift to take turns aggressively, Aris explkaiend sokme days ago that this coukd make the Ai handling such a car slow. The A dfoes not know how to opvergas and keep refs up to slide, so it turns, sees the hood is not coming into the turn, and gets of the gas to catch the turn, instead of gassing up. And then the car behiond with its weka brakes ends up with having problems. See how wide the AI turns the 717, and how easily it leaves the track on the outside of the turn with two tyres. There are some things coming together that lead to the desaster you see with the 717s at Monza's first chicane.

But then, in the old days many track did not have such chicanes or tight turns. For a reason - cars were not able to take them, thats why many of the old tracks are looking dull by today'S standards. The tracks' wider turns as today matched the cars capabilities of their times. Chicanes later got added and turns got tightened to ciounter the raising risk of cars learning to rip thorugh turns at dangeorusly hbigh speeds. The historic Monza did not have such chicanes, now it has.

12. mmaruda

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Well you can make those cars a bit easier to handle is what I meant. But I agree, these don't work very well with tight corners. I wish someone made a classic version of Imola - I drive the hell out of that track in AMS and can't get enough.

Anyway, to end on a lighter note, I went back to some good old hot-lapping. Spot the flight-sim guy:

[​IMG]

And yes, I did save it after landing.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Luke Skywalker and his landspeeder are back. :)

14. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately the new Audi R8 LMS has been released in AC and we are still waiting for her in R3E :(

15. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    That's correct, but did you listen to the sound? As long as raceroom will release the Audi I can wait to get top notch sound and the original liveries and no fantasy liveries like in AC. I am again still disappointed by some parts of AC. They spend a lot effort in bling bling but have forgotten that sound is as important as the graphics. I have tested the Audi but the sound kills the immersion, after one lap I couldn't stand it any longer. On the other hand I am very pleased by the ffb, which gives me much more information about what the car is doing than I Raceroom. Currently I am enjoying the Cayman GT4 with Fonsecker mod on the Nordschleife.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Agree on the sound, it is terrible.
    What's worse is that the car is not that good either.
    No worry for the liveries though, I already have about a dozen real ones made by modders.

What I absolutely don't agree with is your remark about the FFB compared to R3E. If you feel AC's FFB is better, I believe your settings in R3E must be off... (since we have the same wheel).

Just been comparing the two TT's in R3E and AC. The ones in R3E feel like they should be IMO (I'm driving a TT myself, though it is not a Cup or VLN). The ones in AC don't. Sound is not the best either.
    As a positive point for AC: the interiors look better and on my side screens (or looking left / right) I see what I am supposed to see, while with my FOV in R3E I see the front part of my seat's head protection free floating in the air, detached from the seat...

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
  17. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    I don't have this impression.
    Kunos generally improved carsounds in my opinion since Porsche DLCs distinctly.
    But as always, it's a subjektive impression.
    Maybe not yet perfect, but far away from a dealbreaker.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0

For sure the interiors are better in AC
    Maybe S3 will rework a little bit the cars cockpits with better textures

19. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    To be complete, I was refering to the sound of the new Audi R8 LMS 2016 --- just --- :confused::confused::confused:
    There are some nice car sounds in AC, I do like the ...HISSSSS... in the Audi R18 e-tron Quattro (LMP1)... a lot ;)

20. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Modded apps.

I had tried them in big numbers in the launching days of AC, today I came down to just three that I use. First is a simple chat window, simply being a bit mor ergonomic than the Kunos default app for that. Second is Mr. Belwoskiy wonderful and still maitnained CrewChief app, a must have.

But I wonder how many people now Sidekick?

I do not want to have thosuands of windows open and being distracted and overwhelmed by plenty of number infomation. Sidekick gives me the essentials, in a small, compatc window that can be set upĆ¼ accoridng to what i want. Together with crewChief it does anything I need in feedback on informations I want during a race. More is not needed. Also, is does not break immersion. The app window can be placed anywhere on the screen. The author before did RaceEssentials, which served the same purpose, but this one is more polished.

Very good app.

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/sidekick.11007/

Considering thatRaceroom'S "app" looks a bit liek this already, if ever more functionality on tyre information gets added, i think this is the way how to alter the Raceroom app: no additonal values, but switchign displays in this fashion as Sidekick does it. Do not clutter the screen with too much stuff.

P.S. Needs to be updated afetr every new set of cars coming in, to have their tyres correctly colpur-coded. New DLC is not yet implemented, the temps for the cars are displayed, but only in grey.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: May 25, 2017