The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    okay that's interesting about the force feedback. My settings are probably are totally off. I didn't change much in AC, lowered the overall fan to 80, min force to 2%, and the other settings up to 10%. Can not remember the names at the moment. Do you mind sharing your settings for the CSW V2? That wouldbe really interesting. So far I've driven the Porsche GT4 Cayman on the Nordschleife and I was deeply impressed. I couldn't stop smiling while driving :) adrenaline 100% lol
    The Force feedback was great, so dynamic, detailed. The interiors in AC are the best. Nice materials, modeling, animations of the wheel, driver. Sure, newer graphics engine.
    This is really great. But for driving I prefer the hood cam since my TV is a bit far away. Anyway, I experienced the Nordschleife in AC different than the one in Raceroom. I had the feeling I could really experience the elevation of the track, feeling and seeing.

2. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    So do I, although it is said and written that both tracks bought and used the same dataset. If true, then we see the differences of the physics engone in action here, with Raceroom cars generally havign the tendency to "liay heavier" on the track, and being grippier. AC physics are a bit more agile and dynamic, complex. I replays I think to see the cars moves more in AC where it works less in RR, but that might be subjective an impression and distorted by memory.

Its two different games, after all. In the end it would be surprising if they were feelign exactly the same. Wouldn't that mean they are the same game then? :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    The settings I use are mentioned here (post #235) https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/ffb-guide.55/page-12

The only thing I ever change is the individual FF multiplier per car. I get a FFB feel that is close to RF2/AMS, in some cars even better. But don't forget FFB feel is also personal. What I like may differ from what someone else likes and vice versa.
    For instance, several cars in pCars give me better FFB info than AC, but for that you need to adjust a gazillion sliders, sometimes hit & miss. But once you succeed, it is also rather good, though not (yet) on RF2 level imo.
    I use only cockpit view, wheel and arms disabled, triple 27" screens about 54cm from my eyes, FOV 0,9.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I jumped back into ac last weekend after the new update after rarely touching it in the last 2 years and could not believe how terrible the graphics were. The inside of the cars look good but monza and the overall look was rubbish. I reckon now that rf2 is in dx11 it looks better.
    Is there some way to make ac look more polished? Screenshots look nothing like in game footage.
    Cheers

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Agree. Cars in AC are really nice looking but all tracks are dull, lifeless.
    RF2/DX11 is now very close to RL, except the car interiors... :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    yes, a little bit of polishing the rf2 interiors and it would be stunning. It has gone from the ugly duckling to now holding its own in the gfx department.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    I respectfully disagree.
    Which tracks should I be looking at to have my opinion changed?

The tracks all seem dull and uninspired, especially compared to R3E. The game just seems too dry.
    Yes, dry. It is the best word I can come up with.
    I'm not knocking the game;I am a fan, but recently it seems to have lost it's gloss, even in DX11.
    I accept that it could be me.

8. F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Not as dull as the ac tracks I reckon. You can't beat r3e atmosphere but rf2 tracks look visually good now, the official ones, to me sepang is stunning now

9. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Play with the PP filters, or download modded PPF. I use Natural Graphics PPF mod, and even an old version. Take note that time of day also has a huge influence on overall looks, low sun adds more gold and orange, noon has this certain radioactive radiation look of things. Finally, weather. I vary it from light fog over clear and scattered (or however it is called in the English menu, i use German), to light clouds at best. More clouds look unrealiostic and easiyl too dark, also it messes up reflections. Some combinations with early or late time of day work especially good. Try for example Nordschleife with light fog and then 0830 or 1700 hours - chnages the looks and feels completely and meets the Schleifes atmosphere perfectly.

The track environment however in AC is less atmospheric and a bit sterile, compared to Raceroom. It just is like it is. It has been worse in the past, and is better today. Still, the looks are solid. Maybe not absolutely top class, but really, solid. Their newer tracks tend to be better in looks, than those that are there from all beginning on and were done already many years ago. It all got a visual overhaul one year ago or so.

I strongly recommen to check for the creme de la creme of mod tracks. Its your loss if you skip this or look down on it because it is not default content. There are mod tracks that are looking better and drive as good, as Kunos default tracks. I did some recommendations some pages earlier.

All trackwork and development, from A to Z, is done by just one single guy in AC. Not two or three - one man only.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  10. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    I trawled back to page 62 before deciding I ought to do some work, if anybody wants to continue looking from there.;)

Circuito dei Baluardi is on my "shopping list" now though.

It was actually RF2 tracks I would have liked a heads up on. AC has some excellent tracks, and a much easier UI for finding them:). (Once they are in the game.)

I really should stick with one game, one car, one track, and try to actually develop some skill, but between R3E, RF2, and AC, I am like the small child in a big sweet shop. (That last was in a fake German accent!)

Edit : it was on page 69, But Skybird kindly replied below already. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I think you guys are comparing apples and oranges. RRE's strength is that all tracks are first-party with very detailed tracksides. 99% of AC's and RF2's mod tracks are not in the same level of detail. Hence the yucky empty feeling of them.

But lighting-wise and generally, AC looks very good, and while I don't own RF2 yet (waiting for the DX 11 full release) it's looking very much improved. I love RRE, but they are starting to seriously lag in the lighting/shading department with the DX9.

12. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    As far as my skill level is concerned, I would say that R3E is probably the sim that taught me the most about driving and racing. Ever since the FFB update when I managed to fine tune my settings I am able to drive the car sort of on edge in a competent manner. And the AI, though frustrating actually taught me to not be as @Skybird put it "a ballistic missile out of control". I guess before touching raceroom, I thought that AC is the be all end all sim, but some guys in an AC online lobby told me to try it, because "it's good now". From that point on, I have a quite critical look at Assetto, especially that I realised how a game, despite inferior physics model can be more fun thanks to a more complete FFB and full series of vehicles instead of 1 or 2 per class.

My problem is that no game at this stage feels complete. CARS is probably the most feature-rich out of the bunch, but the FFB is just not what you would requite. AMS lacks some polish and the content I am interested in mostly (except tracks, thank you Patrick Giranthon). Raceroom still needs tires, some AI improvements and few other features modern sims boast. And then there is Assetto... It would probably be a perfect PC answer to something like Gran Turismo, but it lacks what Gran Turismo really shines at - a career, where you earn money, upgrade your car, take part in various challenges, earn licences and so on. And after that you really see the stuff that other sims do better - AI, FFB, weather and night races. Thank the powers for the JDM pack so I can Takumi my way around Akina. But yeah, depending on what you want to do and what conditions you expect, you are forced to play all them games and this really is a pain.

My hopes are with Project CARS 2, as I see here and there that the problems the first game has have been rectified, but then again, this is the world of simulation games and racing games at that, and it seems that the car genre is cursed not to be able to deliver a product that takes a step backward for every step it takes forward (I am looking at you Need for Speed series).

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    And I am glad of that.
    I would rather have apples and oranges than 5 varieties of apple.

The only shame is that the skills are not 100% transferable, as the physics are different.
    Well, that is what I am blaming my lack of progress on.:D

14. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Do not forget what I said about the curbs there. The curbs and too much aggression in the AI can turn this track into a death trap for the AI. Pick reliable, stable cars, street/spoprts/small sports/Japanese cars, and tune down the aggression, then it works fine. For me at least.

Go for Virgina, Barbagallo, Grobnik, Kareliaring, Riverside, Mills Metropark as well. Use them with cars matching the track characteristics. Especially VIR is a musthave, Barbagallo maybe too.

And if somebody ever offers you Bilsterberg (the author sold it to the real world track owners and so had to withdraw it from public download pools), make sure you take the offer. >>The track is a blast to drive<<, . Big loss for AC that this track is no longer available. The track owners seem to use it for their tracksite simulators only, not distributing it beyond that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    This is exactly how I experienced it. didn't know that they're using both the same data of the Nordschleife. With AC I could really feel the bumps and the elevation of the track for the first time. I haven't done anything on the setup so the car were super agile, light like you said. I could bet that the layout is not the same. Entry, first left turn towards Hatzenbach, and Raceroom I have always the feeling that the curb on the inside has a slight imperfection so thatthe radius is not constant. In AC I experienced the first corner as perfectly smooth. At Kallenhard there is a similar situation with the inside curb, turn to the right. Again, in AC I had the feeling that the radius is smooth. Anyway, your description about the differences of AC and Raceroom is a good observation.

I saw a post about Bilsterberg? Such a small test tack. One cannot find it any longer in the Internet for download? It's nor far away from where I live :) I've never been there but a friend of mine has been there on a track today.

16. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Circuito dei Baluardi in the Mini, err Abarth Esseesse is the living re-incarnation of the Italian Job!

Yes, it could possibly be improved by Charlize Theron sitting on my lap and nibbling my ear while I am driving, but otherwise....

It blew my bloody doors off!

17. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Is your wife aware of these "driving" fantasies of yours? :D

18. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0

This is what Bilsterberg was like in AC, the last available version of the mod. When Kunos shut down the mod sections of their forum summer last year, the author was so angry that he stopped modding and sold the track to the real world track owners who seem to use it for their own simulators at the track, at least thats what I read somewhere. The work was quite advanced already and probably only some visual improvements along the track's sides would have been added later on. It drives well and the AI can handle it well. It is fast, has a great flow, several challenging passages and "insivisble" corners, and is a bit of a rollercoaster.

I would like Sector3 and maestro Hummler taking on this track, but I fear the license is not available.

But, dear Sector3, could you at least ask for it, just to be certain...? :)

This is the real Bilsterberg. To my eyes, the mod recreates the ups and downs nicely.

19. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    It could be your settings, or monitor, or...
    As a good example, try out Oulton Park. I can easily believe I'm actually driving there. There are many others, bad ones too even after being adapted to DX11.
    R3E tracks very well made, full of life, but looking a bit more...well...like a computer screen.
    But tbh, I only have a few dull uninspired tracks in RF2, whereas they all are just that in AC.

20. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    It's like someone took the best bits of the Nordschleife and shrunk it down into a manageable circuit!

I will. Maybe the contrast is too high. I played AC tonight, and that looked a bit more washed out than normal. I recently rolled back to windows 7 (accidently!) so maybe that is the culprit somewhere. Long weekend just around the corner, so I can play with the settings a bit more.

Yes.
    Although she would have suspected Rachel Riley or Emma Willis. :cool: