The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    What a noble gesture

2. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    When S3 get a sugar daddy then expect the same! ;)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Clonedemned

Clonedemned Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    T - 8 days

4. opelman

opelman Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    I Made ferrari to fly. maybe because i'am finn. :)

5. Clonedemned

Clonedemned Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    At 0:17 - they look really thrilled about your jump :D

6. TonyJ

TonyJ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    what do you think about FFB ?
    now with update R3E FFB is better than AC.
    just AC have better "slide" effect.
    but at high speed with Ac FFB if i turn fast left/right i spin out but with R3E car is very stable at high speed.

the first reason i play assetto is for graphics.
    AI is always ceashing me in turn...
    and there are not many tracks....
    mods don't have the quality for 4k....

R3E is very good !!!

7. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I never really liked Assetto's FFB, maybe the first release in early access impressed me, but that was way before I tried other sims. It gives you all the crazy vibrations and bump from the road, but isn't really functional when it comes to oversteer and understeer. With understeer it's not really felt unless you use the enhanced understeer effect which is overdone IMHO. As for oversteer, the initial reaction of the wheel counter-steering seem laggy and that is even with the input lag fix in the .ini file. What is more, once the wheel starts turning it will go all the way to full lock with max force, so once you catch it and start regaining grip, there is too much resistance in the FFB when you center it. With bigger slides, it's hard to save the car and this does not allow me to drive on the edge consistently.

I don't have that problem in Raceroom since the FFB graph update that allowed me to tune in my settings. If I was to rate FFB in sims, I'd say AMS probably wins with Raceroom being either on the same level, or pretty close. I also think CARS2 did wonders to it's FFB with the last update and it's definitely THE sim, when it comes to being able to save almost any slide based on the Force Feedback alone (though I think there is some behind the scenes magic going on that helps you center the wheel after catching a slide).

Is that realistic though? And should it be, considering we only have the toy wheel to tell us what is happening with the car? I don't have answers.

As for your problem with spinning out at high speeds in Assetto, I think you might have the FFB set too low, either in general of for the specific car. Basically, if you turn hard at a high speed the front wheels will lose traction, upping the FFB force will give you more resistance and you will be able to avoid it. Also, while I don't know that much about setups, the basic ones in Assetto are kind of crappy for some cars, since they allow for a lot of weight transfer and that will cause you to spin out with tight consecutive turns, if you aren't careful. They improved the setups for some cars (like the Ford GT which was undriveable on some tracks initially), but a lot of the cars aren't really fine-tuned for racing (most street cars). Same goes for drift cars, good luck trying to learn to drift with base setups (though they work perfectly with a gamepad lol). That said, I ran the Nord yesterday in Assetto in the Nissan GTR (the old one) and it was pure bliss with perfect control on the edge, flooring it most of the time.

All that said, there are people who clearly love everything about Assetto and can drive and drift in this without issues, so I may just be talking out of my butt or maybe there is some setting I don't know about, or maybe it's my PC who does not like my wheel and Assetto altogether. :)

8. TonyJ

TonyJ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    th
    thanks !
    it was very helpfull.
    i will try to raise FFB but it gives me a feeling that at at a moment FFB change it s not soft or smooth.
    it s hard and when i loose grip it s vibrant.
    but with low ffb it s soft i dont feel so much changement.

9. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    There are almost 300 track mods for aC. And some of them outshine the visual quality of Kunos default tracks. ;) Not a majority, not overwhelmingly many, but quite some.

FFB in GT3 in RR has recently seen significant improvements, probably also due to changes in physics that other cars so far have not gotten in RR, but hopefully will get. In GT3, FFB is very good, in other cars it still is quite good in RR. But with the subtelty of FFB effects in AC, most cars in RR still cannot really compete, GT3 excluded. Outside GT3, cars in RR have a general tendency to be more grippy than cars in AC, which makes them easier to control and thus more "pleasant" - since more forgiving - to drive. I think you interpret this as "better FFB".

The battle for leads of quality in various departments between AC and RR, has become very tight in the past 6 ore 10 months, or longer. AI was better in RR, then in AC became better, now it is better in RR again, very much so. Sounds had a clear lead by RR, but many cars, especially new ones in AC, have gotten better sound suites than was AC standard three years ago, so AC did not catch up in full, but narrowed the gap. Physics in AC were better than in RR, but now with RR's improved GT3, it has become a new open battleground. Interior and exterior car modelling is AC territory. Track visuals is RR domain. For us players, this ongoing race is all positive, for the studios - I hope they take it with a sense for sporting competition. Kunos'S Stefano recently said he is studying new technologies, for the competition has closed up, AC is the hunted, and the race is on: "We need to strike back", he said in a video with a grin. I hope that beside all economic rivalry and competition, Sector 3 has a similiar mindset. Personally, I have enjoyed this mutual pushing for better improvements with great enjoyment in the last two years. Both sims are my two racing sims of choice, and I never regretted it to share my time between both. Why choosing when you can play both? :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  10. TonyJ

TonyJ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    thx it's very nice to read things like that.
    i can feel the sim racing passion in your posts.
    in fact i like focusing with only one sim racing.
    with R3E i play dtm gt3 wtcc or fx17 or i235 or audi tt rs...
    i think wtcc is very very strong car with so much ffb sensation.
    and most of mod tracks at 4k ultra look not good..

11. bearr

bearr Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    try to increase slip effect(40-50) abs effect(30-40) overall ffb 90-100. My logitech gives good informativeness and small clipping.

12. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    This was a reply Stefano (="Lord Kunos") gave to a guy who implied that AC were so good that you would not take much time to notice the quality of the physics model, and that one needs only very shor time to get an impression of whether the physics in a sim are good or not so much.

" You might get an "instant" good vibe from a sim, but that doesn't mean you are prepared to describe the reasons behind your feelings.. you might (and most probably are) be pretty wrong.
    We are not in 1990 anymore where every racing game was so different that it had obviously a different physics behind... it's 2017, all sim are bloody good and bloody close to each other.. differences are so minimal and the entire simulated world is so complex that yeah.. you simply can't sit and judge a product in 20 mins. I mean, you could, but your output will be pretty much useless and most probably plain wrong.
    We are also talking about products with hundreds of cars and dozens of tracks, so many combinations, so many game modes.. at the very best you'll be able to judge 0.1% of whatever game is able to offer in 20 mins. "

Good reply, I say.

13. TonyJ

TonyJ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    lol i have all at 100 !

14. opelman

opelman Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    There is good tutorials how setup force. It changed my driving feeling to worst almost good as raceroom.

15. TonyJ

TonyJ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    i have tried everything.
    i conclude AC is not for me i prefer raceroom.
    car is more stable with raceroom i prefer.

16. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    We all have our preferences, and nothing is wrong in liking grippy cars for racing. If one chooses between two good sims, one cannot go wrong either way. :) It all comes down to taste regarding the little details.

17. TonyJ

TonyJ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    i have finally succeeded to configure good FFB !!
    in fact i had road and kerbs at 10 !!
    now at 100 i feel everything !!!
    OMG, it's hard to admit but FFB from Assetto corsa is better !!
    But WTCC with R3E is at the same level.
    i have compared Audi R8 lms, and Mclaren 630S GT3.
    just it misses shift effect, engine vibrations !!
    And the graphics at 4K ultra are a little less professional, i prefer R3E graphics !
    But OMG nice FFB :)

18. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Ah, note to myself: next time somebody new to AC complains about bad FFB (happens often): telling him that he should switch off or tone down all the four canned effects.

Sorry, but I must disappoint you. Yo ahe maximsed unrelastric canned effects if having the bottom four sliders at 100. These effects do not represent tyre/car interaciton with track. They just are like alight goping on when rolling over a curb. No matter whether the car shoudlk feel this given curb due to the curb'S structure, or the cars swetup, or not: the light is the same, and the effect you get is the same, always. Its unrealistic. In many cars, you should not feel many curbs, and only some make themsleves knwon to you whehn driving over the. Steep curbs should kick at your tyres, some should be so steep that it can really unsettle your car, and making it dangeorus for two seconds.

You want subtle, dynamic FFB effects that represent what actually is happening, not generic effects that are always one and the same.

Tune down to 10% or below the other effects in that section of options as well, telling by memory there should be four or so, at the bottom of the FFB options page. They are no fed back by track and what the car is doing, but are generic, are canned, are drowning the actual feedback from track data and interaction with it. Switch them off or tune them down. Many people prefer to have them off. All you then feel is from ionteraqction between chassis(mass), tyxres, and track surface. And avoiod clipping , have the overall strength set to a level that clipping doe snot occur more oftenb thnan just in form from occaisonal, single spikes. Should be a setting arounf 65-75%. Too strong FFB drowns the subtelty of the feedback.

FFB imo in AC still is superior, and quote obviously. GT3 got closer, but in general, FFB in AC is more subtle, vivid, diverse in feedback. Wrong settings can kill all that, especially if FFB is set too strong. There is a hardware setup and FFB recommendation thread somewhere in the AC forum. If not finding it, ask, and they will link you.

Many AC fans find RR's FFB dull and generic, I stronglx assume that also is due to mismatching FFB setups. RR is overly complex there in it soptiopns, it is easy to miss good settings. Think Sector3 should really reduce the number of sliders there, even more so since some names do not really explain what the slider is doing or meaning. I find it confusing.

If you enjoy driving with those canned effects maxed out, then all is good and you are fine. Just be advised that you drive with very unrealistic settings that way. Realism on these effects means to have them minimised, not maximised, to fight their drowning effects on the dynamic FFB that represents the real car-track interaction. I thjunk I have them all four at 10% or so. Or even 0.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  19. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Maybe, but the big problem with AC is that you need to go back to the main menu to change some settings. Load again, wait, test and then you have the feeling, s**t, I forgot something, and there you go.
    So, I gave up.

I also gave up because I bought a dedicated screen, but you can't say to AC to use that specific screen. It only uses your default screen and that's so annoying.

20. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I am on VR since two weeks. Racing is meant to be done in VR, I immediately understood int he firts minute I used it. ;) Its a completely different league. Blurry or not, I see no way to ever go back to screen racing, may it be single or triple. Its tweo different ballgames.

Regarding the FFB settings, I now check my settings and will post them, as a start. Gimme some minutes.