The dark side of the race

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ocaso Dorado, May 28, 2015.

1. Ocaso Dorado

Ocaso Dorado Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I have been trouble to race at sunsets since some sectors of the circuits are too dark and I lost the trace line, or push me to go slow, or make hit other cars, this is more frequent when I come to qualify from noon time to sunset time. The headlights seems that don't have any effect and there are not any lamps along the road that makes clear these dark sectors...

I wonder whether the developers are planning to set night time, which definitely the lights are gonna be essential. In the other hand, the stop lights of the cars barely shine, it would be cool if add more reflections to the stop lights when cars are braking:coldsweat:

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Jona777

Jona777 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    Just recently was racing at Zolder, being it with the prototypes, and i did found it a bit dark also in the race and was trying to flash my lights to see better in certain corners..

So hopefully some bigger light-effect coming from the headlights is something which can be implemented.. ( Normal light stand - phare light stand )

From the devstream it got clear they are currently working on/with different moods.. And that evolving time of day is something that still takes more time to implement :)

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  3. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    As far as I'm aware, headlights don't actually illuminate anything, they look more like a texture than a light source. Basically an aesthetic touch. Dynamic headlights would be a nice addition but I guess it's well down the list of priorities, especially with the lack of night racing. Then again Reiza has done a respectable job with their headlights and night racing so why not?

I really like the light flare shader in rFactor and Stock Car Extreme so maybe something similar can be done in R3E? It looks quite effective and makes the headlights look less flat. I'd also like to see some more control over headlights i.e off(default)/running lights (where applicable)/on/flash. All cars running with headlights on all the time isn't realistic.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Ocaso Dorado

Ocaso Dorado Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Yeah well... The lights are very important when some sectors are that dark... However, It would be nice to respect the road lights, based on real world tracks. When I watch American Le mans, I see some tracks have really dark sectors, but of course, the car lights iluminate the path. Also the rear lights are very visible from distance when they are just passive, I mean when brakes are not pushed.