The Despair of the Raceroom Penalty Points System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheJackal, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    That would be the rammer´s dream though.
    There´s no golden bullet and even in paid content servers you get people doing crazy things. I find it is sometimes cheaper to take a track limits violation and skirt round first corner or lap hotspots unless I am really far up the grid as it is easy to lose 12 or more points in one big pile up. The first 2 corners at Red Bull Ring are usually enough to put a few drivers out or on the limit. Same with Portimao.

If you make it through the first lap with no contact incidents then you have cash in hand for later in the race when other drivers can´t defend their position because they are on the incident limit.

2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    No, I'm not. After over ten years running racing clubs online, I think I know what I see from a minority of self-entitled alien drivers, thanks. I never said all fast drivers have that attitude and most certainly don't. But some of them absolutely do, and when you check the replays it is them that cause the incidents they have with "slow" drivers by acting like buffoons in their desperation to get by. They then blame the "slow" driver afterwards for not getting out of the way, as if they have no right to defend their position in a competitive race.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jirbun01

jirbun01 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    i mean about me

4. geoffers

geoffers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Maybe, but they would only be able to do it once, then their car would be out of action.

5. MakeMeLaugh

MakeMeLaugh Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    The current system is a "better this than nothing". First, there should be a difference between contact points and off track points. Another point would be not receiving incident points for getting involved in accidents that you were not part when it started, like ACC does. Slow downs need to be looked at as well, I missed my braking point at the bus stop chicane in Spa, went back into the track like you should, around the yellow wall, side by side with the pit straight, lost tons of time, and still got a slow down. To be honest, slow downs never actually work properly in any game, so just get rid of it and manage incident points better in my opinion.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  6. ggnoredo

ggnoredo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm new to R3E and I think incident point system nothing but a joke. Someone hit me from behind, I got incident points, went from 3rd to last and I lost rating. This is not fun either fair

• Like Like x 1
  7. Matthias Zlusch

Matthias Zlusch Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Well actually you all should think about this:

What happens when you get hit from behind or elsewise in real life racing?

You and your opponent have a broken car and an expensive weekend. This is what Reputation and safety rating is about. Instead of money you loose rating. It doesnt matter whos fault it was. its expensive and frustrating. There are no insurances in real racing. You need to pay it from your pocket and you wont get anything from the opponent. Maybe a sorry if he is a nice guy.

BTW, i come from iRacing and i can tell you the System in Raceroom is very fair in direct comparission. You can have much more incidents to keep your Reputation high.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  8. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    I can see why the system might look controversial. But a joke? No. What you describe is how it's supposed to work. It's not made to give fair judgements for incidents, what it does is evaluate how safe you can drive and uses this safety rating (called "reputation") to filter out the most unsafe drivers from the main batch of servers.

Why is it more fair? Genuinely asking.

9. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    As far as I thoroughly understand why the reputation system works this way at the moment (seems to be the only possible option without developing some costly advanced AI) I don't think it's a fair analogy when it comes to deliberate rammers.

What happens when you get hit from behind on purpose by a rich daddys son who has nothing to lose in oppose to you and your racing car you were saving money for in the last 3 years?

;)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  10. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    You report to stewards and they ban him from racing?

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Matthias Zlusch

Matthias Zlusch Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Thats it, and you can ban such individuals in Raceroom too. BUT this thread is not about purpose rammers.

I just wantet to give another look how a reputation system works with my words.

I just mean you can have much more incident points than in iRacing before loosing reputation.

12. Stelcio

Stelcio Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I think the system works well in principle. If you're a good and fair driver, you will usually get less incident points than others and will maintain that high reputation easily.

I think it could use some tweaks though, because right now it's even too easy to maintain a high reputation IMO. To the point I don't feel safe having a ~80 Rep driver behind me, especially on the very last lap. Having over 80 Rep allows you to enter every single server except for top split weekly race and maybe I'm making too much of it, but I have an impression that some of those ~80 Rep drivers are gaming the reputation system and using every bit of their excess reputation to gain some extra positions unfairly. At least whenever I had a shady interaction on track - one that warranted a suspicion of malicious intent - it was usually a driver that oscillated around that 80 Rep. If someone was really reckless and simply bad, they usually had much lower reputation.

So I think bumping the reputation requirements on ranked servers could help a lot without really hurting any fair drivers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    I agree on principle, I also feel the rep system is very generous now, but first I think they need to address how disconnects affect your rating. Being disconnected on quali>race transition and getting -9 rep would be much more harmful with higher rep requirements.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Stelcio

Stelcio Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I think leaving the game shouldn't hit your reputation at all in such cases - you're not ruining anybody's race that way. Just write it down as DNS or DNF and call it a day, just like real racers have when they fail to finish a race due to technical issues. A hard hit to the rating will probably repel quitters and even out across the board for random disconnections, since everybody will get one once in a while. And it won't lock anybody from any races except for weekly splits, at least not at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  15. race70

race70 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I fully support you. For disconnections, incident points should not be awarded at all. I'm not bothering anyone, I'm not damaging anyone. If I wrecked the car badly, what's the point, me, of continuing the race? Moreover, the races are short. As long as you get to the pitlein, while you are repairing, there is no point in continuing the race.

16. Stelcio

Stelcio Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    We asked and we got it. New 85 Rep Elite category hourly race on this week schedule. I'm curious to see how it will turn out.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1