The F2P model and regional pricing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StepUnique, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    i think what we have to remember early in the games developement , the then head of the studio announced/suggested some things that made the then sim community , (who were waiting for gtr²'s succesor) , to run screaming to every forum and kill the then game dead in the sim communities eyes... the initial game at that period and its design has long since been buried , and with the new sector 3 structures has moved forward in leaps and bounds , although this being sometimes slow due to the original design coding , has and is being worked past ... but as we all know our community can be very fickle and verbal , and take a long time to come back ..

As for costs .... that arguement for me any many others is just pointless, as nothing in game is that expensive and im not forced to buy anything i dont need (and if i own a gt3 audi , all i need is an adac skin to run an adac race )

for me between the physics /ffb and immersion i enjoy this sim the most

Andi

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    For someone whos just now getting into the game its not too expensive. But for people who have been around a while it can get pretty damn expensive. I for one have spent far more on r3e than i could dream of spending on any other sim (minus iracing).

3. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    how many cups have coffee have you bought in that time and how many can you still drink from ... it for me is not a relative arguement , if the game is that expensive , then stop ; you wont die from not having it....

this is the arguement i find the most sucky , when we are these days capable of spending the sums we do for hardware.. graphics cards that cost more than my daily drive etc

Andi

4. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    I wanna have the game and will continue to purchase content that im interested in and that is not a problem at all. It just annoys me when people claim r3e to not be expensive and of course id like it if the prices were a little more comparable to the likes of ac, acc, pc1&2, rf1&2, ams and what else may be out there for far less.
    And regarding coffee and hardware you might be right for the majority of players but i have not bought a single cup of coffee during that time and overall have spent 4-5 times as much on r3e as i have on hardware :)

5. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    R3E isn't expensive, end of story. I've got all the content and I'd guess I've spent less than €100 on it. Compare that to a "boxed" game like cosies F1 or dirt rally 2, they are €50 and what you get is a closed game (or worse very expensive DLC), at least R3E is constantly evolving. I see the cost of content as a mute point anyway since most players are doing so with a good few hundred € of sim gear at least. AC is/was cheaper and yes it has modding but it doesn't have the feel of R3E. I've got pretty much all the sims from the last 10 years and R3E is the only one that consistently gives me the feeling of actually being in a race car (AMS is pretty good too). Add to that most of my driving is single player since I just don't have time to commit to a league and public server racing isn't really worth bothering with, R3E gives me the opportunity to race what I want, when I want.

6. StepUnique

StepUnique Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    That's true, it's pointless to YOU, because you're unaffected by regional prices, which is a huge thing and help sell other games on Steam. The issue that doesn't affect you isn't really an issue, right?

7. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    R3e sure as hell aint cheap. And the constant evolution is great and maybe worth paying a bit more than your typical 50 buck game. And if i was anywhere near inside 100€ you probably wouldnt here me complain much but it has not always been possible and still is not possible for everyone to get it that cheap period.

8. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately that is really a problem, but not only limited to R3E. The Problem with regional pricing would be, that a Studio doesn't earn the money it would need to keep the business running, as they still pay their Bills in €UR - on the other side, the company would lose a potential customer from a foreign country if it is to expensive.
    I don't know where you are from, but for example if one is living in Turkey, he had a tremendous inflation last year. He would need to pay 4-5 times as much for the same content, as his currency has just lost it's value compared to €UR or USD...

9. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    How much would you say it has cost you and over what period?

10. StepUnique

StepUnique Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Are you really comparing the hardware I use for studies, for work, finding useful information and learning with a racing simulator, that probably doesn't even teach you to drive? You're really ran out of arguments I believe.
    Can you please let me decide, whether I should play it or no? Thank you. As a new customer that had to face this strange business model I wanted to point out the obvious reason for this game being not popular as its concurrents.
    It's not about what you've spent on it, it's about that players outside EU, UK and US have to spend the same amount, but the purchasing parity power of their currencies is lower. Once again, if it's not an issue for you, doesn't mean it's not an issue for others.

One of the criteria for attracting new players is also the number of the current playerbase. I.e. if someone new sees that AC is played by more people, he would naturally assume it's better, even though it can be a false assumption. So it's just a vicious circle: high prices for regions outside EU - not enough players. Not enough players - not enough people buying the content - high prices to compensate. High prices - not enough players and so on.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  11. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    250€ over 3 and a bit years

12. StepUnique

StepUnique Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    That's exactly what I'm talking about.
    Because of the high pricing and absence of the regional pricing, the playerbase of R3E is mainly consisting of players from EU, which couldn't care less about regional prices. So it's seems very unnatural and pointless to them what I'm trying to convey here. I'm mainly getting bombared by the comments of the players from EU.
    You're not doing yourself a favor, your support of the current business model is just the way to ensure the low playerbase. This racing simulator could easily have from 2000 to 3000 users each evening. It's not the price alone that's offputting for me, it's also this small playerbase. If Race 07 had at least 1000 players, I would still play it.

13. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I get the point about confusing price structure, and yes it doesn't help that it's not until you are part of the game/community that you learn about how vrp let's you buy content more efficiently.

The regional pricing thing though, how do you want that to work? The game is produced in Europe so wages, lisences, overheads etc are paid by the studio in euro. Therefore the pricing structure has to be based on the euro. They can't simply give away content at a loss to other regions just because they have unfavorable economic conditions. You've got to see it as a product that is to be exported. If a bag of apples costs €5 to produce in Europe they wouldn't then export them and sell for €1.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    ca. 250 € with 8100 VRP on stock, last buy was Audi TT RS in May '17.
    Shop says I own 96 % of content, Premium Pack would cost 3580 VRP.

15. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    35€ for 4% of the game sounds like a good deal to me :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. StepUnique

StepUnique Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    The regional pricing is working well for any other games on Steam and I don't see how it cannot work with this game. As I said in my previous posts, you're not giving content at a loss by selling it in other regions. You're amplifying the number of copies of the game sold, that otherwise wouldn't exist. Supply needs to meet the demand, if one outside EU is not buying Premium pack for 50 €, he would for 30 €.
    And why am I targeting the Premium pack? Because it is the complete game and the best offer from all of them, even if one doesn't need some content. The buyers must be rational, so they will target Premium pack. I'm not willing to spend 250 € over 3 years, if I can spend just 50 €.
    Your example with apples is not working here, because apples need to be produced, those are material goods, you cannot just copy-paste them. Meanwhile the Steam keys can be generated in infinite amounts, there's no restriction, so the fixed costs of Sector3 Studios are unaffected by the number of copies sold.

17. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Actually, 35 € for the stuff released within tha last 2 years as new GT3s, GT4s, WTCR, Porsches, BMW 235 i, FRUS, FRX17, FR3, 13 tracks ... isn't that much. Calculation of discount is ridiculous anyhow.

18. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It might not be a physical product but it still has a cost to produce, it will also have a projected sales figure and a pricing structure worked out accordingly. Put the boot on the other foot, do you think people in Europe would be happy paying twice as much as others just because they can't afford it? As has been pointed out playing a game is not a requirement for life and even so you only actually need 1 car from any class to play. I can't see the issue to be honest.

19. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    That indeed doesnt sound like too much. But why does the game think you own 96% of the game then? :D

20. StepUnique

StepUnique Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Reducing the prices outside EU would boost the sales, not hurt them. According to you, EU players that have all the content are racing against non-EU players, with 2 or 3 cars and one track bought. Do you really think they will enjoy or stick to R3E? Nobody is going to enjoy the game that way. It's an ADDITIONAL sales number, not a sacrifice.
    Ha-ha, now you care how much people would be able to buy the same content you own for less, how cute. And the fact, that now players outside EU have to spend a bigger part of their salary, than yours on the same content doesn't bother you, right? Congrats, I just discovered the real reason behind all this criticism.
    How do people buying games from Steam even live with that knowledge, that someone is buying the game for less?