The F2P model and regional pricing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StepUnique, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    did you get a regional discount from nvidia , i just had a quick look and prices are about the same ?

Andi

2. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    This may rest in the depths of the business model.:p

3. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    id say its because you dont own every skin
    Andi

4. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Maybe the people outside the EU that want to play already pay the higher price and those that don't, don't. It's an assumption that a lower price would gain more overall income for the studio. The price is the price, if you don't like it then buy something else?

5. StepUnique

StepUnique Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Ok, maybe it's unclear, I understand.
    Someone with a 2000 € salary that buys 50 € Premium pack is giving away 1/40 (2,5 %) of his salary.
    Someone with a 500 € salary that buys 50 € Premium pack is giving away 1/10 (10 %) of his salary.
    Even if there's someone outside EU that can buy all of this stuff, it's still a much smaller fraction, there's a bigger fraction that would otherwise boost the game's playerbase. It's not an assumption, it's a fact. Otherwise Steam wouldn't work the way it does today.
    Let me introduce you, the pricing table of Steam for Assetto Corsa, a very unsuccessful game, in which EU players are complaining, that the rest of the world is buying the game cheaper:

[​IMG]

Honestly, I have no idea, how they managed to sell this game for so long with those laughable prices.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  6. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    i think your arguement about people earning less should pay less and there for people earning more should pay more is sound and just, but lets not just make it regional , im sure there are people in your country that earn shit loads more money than i do .. so how do we do it ? do i send my tax returns to steam , or maybe my unemployement card etc ?
    then the company depending on it licencing arrangements has to organise with the manufacturer to pay less of a % per unit sold of that car to keep there profit % equal , then telling the guy who did the car skins , that most of his work was sold to people from x region , so he will only get -à% of his normal wage etc ...
    its tough , its never going to be fair , but this isnt food or fuel or something that will kill you if you dont have

Andi

7. StepUnique

StepUnique Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    You can't fix that problem on an individual scale, but it's pretty possible on a scale of an economic region, I thought that's obvious.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I'm from France and I also have prices in €. Nevertheless, the issue is clear to me.

8. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    are you sure that your disposable income in percentage to your annual costs is lower than mine ? you are making assumptions , just because people live in europe doesnt mean they are rich

Andi

9. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Im liking that. Lets take the 2,5% and even without buying vrp ill get the premium pack for 2€ :D

10. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Let's leave it at that.;)

11. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I'm frankly disgusted that people in Turkey pay so little for AC. They have decent weather, what more do they want?

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. StepUnique

StepUnique Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    To reply to your post, I'll quote my own post you failed to read:
    So, some posts ago you were bragging about how 50-60 € is not a big deal to you, and now somehow you're playing the poor or what? How does this work? Ever heard of an average salary?

13. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    There's only one thing for it, we need the UN to start airdropping steam keys over poor countries.

14. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    at no point have i said that i agree with the price , what i have said all along is it is a want , not a need , and for me 60 euros is about 3 months of disposable income if no shit and fans come into close contact

Andi

15. StepUnique

StepUnique Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I'm glad you're using jokes instead of arguments, kind of speaks for itself.

The customer is you, devs are targeting customers. What you want is what matters the most and only you can change it. Right now you're supporting the model you don't like.

16. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    no, again you assume ; i think the model is correct , i dont have to buy anything i dont want ,no 10 car dlc pack for the 1 car i want , no track pack as it has 1 track i want ,
    and there are other ways of influencing a game than being a customer

Andi

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I'm not here for an argument so jokes it is.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Well this European (at the moment) exists on government handouts due to several medical issues that prevent me from working anymore. I am probably classed as the lowest of the lows in society, with an income the average 10 year old would turn their nose up at. I have no disposable income at all, in fact if Peter and Paul ever meet, I'm right up shit street. :eek:
    If I want to buy content it consists of either missing a meal or selling something. Yet I manage to own all content (few liveries short) and without ever benefited from the new pack discount scheme, all bought either individually or as a release day pack. Shudder to think what RR has cost me over the years but weighed up against time spent in Sim having a ball, I'd say small potatoes, over 6 years of making new friends, driving new cars, racing new tracks and joining S3 on the journey, priceless!
    Things cost what they are worth to you as an individual, if one feels the need to complain about pricing then perhaps one should purchase something that gives more worth to oneself, rather than ball ache to others, nothing is perfect in life, I have all the time in the world to Sim race, yet a body that only allows half hour tops before something else falls off, that's if I can move at all or stand the pain.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2