The future of Raceroom?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by playlessNamer, Sep 13, 2018.

1. adrift

adrift New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @J-F Chardon you have some good ideas there [and I recently started playing DCS too :) ]
    So, as you can work out, 1 way to get around the reluctance of developers to be in the spotlight would be to rather just publish a Roadmap. Roadmaps certainly have their pluses and minuses, but they at least give the community hope/knowledge that certain advancements are coming. 1 problem with roadmaps/press coverage as well is that the interested community is going to gravitate toward the product that keeps showing the most advancements. Although, I have more than 1 racing sim (many), but I think user engagement is a key focus as well to keep players coming back to the platform. Maybe it would help to have a press campaign manager. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. kendoslow

kendoslow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    If you're shy, why not consider an audio podcast, link pictures and/or clips to here and that would maybe bring more visitors to the forums.
    Just a thought.:)

3. Racki

Racki Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    I can see that there has been much more communication in former days to announce planned features and content.
    However some people took those announcements far too serious and were very upset when dates were postponed. Typical internet bashing followed.

The communication was changed then to not announcing anything until it was finished. This seemed like a logical step.
    However this resulted in a loss if momentum for the product itself. You could say that there were only few seats booked in the hype train.

I was hoping that the userbase of RR would increase but it shows roughly the same numbers as a year before. Taken into account that we are in the begining of a golden age of simracing I was really hoping for more.
    On the other hand take rFactor2. Studio397 had a really tough time after taking over a product which was far away from being competitive. Nowadays they have player counts which are 10 to 20 percent above those of RR. They do have a strict monthly roadmap by the way.

When ACC will be released next year we will be in a timeframe where also iRacing will have the long announced day/night cycles. When we take PC2 also as commercially successful simracing competitor I fear RR will be falling behind dramatically in terms of track dynamics, endurance options, match making, eyecandy and last but not least public awareness.

Just my personal thoughts...
    I still believe Sector3 have some aces up their sleeves :) (ooops corrected typo)

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  4. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I hope you meant aces

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Racki

Racki Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    ooops :rolleyes: stopping the pictures in my head now.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Mike G

Mike G New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I sure hope so.

I'm new to the sim racing world. I was lucky enough to get the others during last year's holiday sale along with Raceroom. I goofed around with all of them until spring came along, which is usually when I put away the games until the days get shorter in the fall.

Despite their shortcomings, I found (and now find) myself consistently coming back to R3E and RF2.

R3E just works. The AI is the best I've seen, the cars are a blast to drive (although the WTCR cars hate me for some reason), and the controls and excellent FFB were a breeze to set up. RF2 might offer a better pure driving experience, but R3E is the most fun and enjoyable sim in my games library.

Although I agree with a lot of the suggested improvements mentioned in this thread regarding graphics and dynamic track conditions, I hope that Sector3 never takes the fun out of this sim. "First, do no harm."

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    There is one thing I do not understand.
    Other sims don't go to another Engine. They close the first game and make a new one so that you have to buy a new game and the community have to settle in another online racing corner.

Only iRacing and R3E is now years on the market and give the players more and mpore options and would to a conversion to a higher DX and/or another Graphics Engine.

Is that correct or does R3E close their doors any time and we have to go to R3E2 to see those news?

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    @FormelLMS : retail games with distribution deals that come at a fixed price have a finite life expectancy in sales. Once your product is shipped, you have a period of maintenance for patches, usually a solid DLC plan in case sales are ok enough to justify it, and then that's it, you have to move on and get the next title shipped.

iRacing or RaceRoom, or DCS World since we mentioned it, are different. They are services with continued development. As long as sales are good and partners are involved, it will always continue progressing.

• Love it! Love it! x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Many thanks for your answer.
    It's because there are many people moaning that R3E don't have the newest graphics engine or DX12 and so on where I think: Okay, let's buy a new Pcars every 18 Month and pay every time 80 Euros with the DLCs. So the 150 Euros invested in R3E since beginning 2015) are not that expensive anymore (with about 450 Hours playing now....).

And what I really like on your sales system is: We don't have to learn alle the things new all 18 Months. So we can concentrate to the driving.

• Like Like x 3
  10. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    That really sounds like a great Idea and could bring back some life to the Sector3-Youtube-Channel. ^^ Maybe hold everything a bit loose to not raise expectations to high. I can definitely understand that not all of you want to talk in front of a cam or have fun in doing an interview - it's not my cup of tea neither. So maybe just pick the format that fits best to the topic you want to feature and to the Team-Member that is working on it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    To make the devs more relaxed in front of the camera then let's them drink a beer before ;)

12. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I have an idea, I'm not shy, J-F Chardon you tell me the info and supply me with the evidence, then; when I've made sure all is as expected, I will release the information to the world, dancing girls, Tigers, Elephants, laser light show, rock band, all in a very tropical location, by the beach, more dancing girls, boom!

What do you say?

• Like Like x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  13. J-F Chardon

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Let's talk in private. I want final say on the rock band. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. BreadedVirus

BreadedVirus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Whatever the future of RACEROOM, from what I’ve sampled so far it’s very promising.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. SylverFyre

SylverFyre Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    UE4 can be demanding, but it doesn't have to be. It has been built to support games run on phones and web browsers up to high spec PCs. It's only as demanding as the developers of a game need/want it to be.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. BreadedVirus

BreadedVirus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0

Being new to RACEROOM, I truly hope the game will continue to progress.

Thank you for such a great game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. almkicker

almkicker Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I couldn‘t have put it in better words... Thanks Racki.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. J-F Chardon

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Alright, let's do this. Today I'm home to catch up on some test driving in the beta, and I thought it's probably a good opportunity to jump on a stream and talk about one of the things that will come in the next patch and deserve a fair bit of explanation: the driving assists. I'm keeping this somewhat confidential for now in case the stream goes bad and I just press all the wrong buttons. :p

• Like Like x 10
  19. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    J-F any VR improvement in the next patch?

20. J-F Chardon

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    If you mean performance improvements, I'm afraid that won't be before a while. We're investigating how we can improve on that but that will not be coming that quick.

If you mean other kinds of improvements like certain things being difficult to read on the HUD or things like that, please let us know and we can look into that much quicker.