News The March 2019 developer notes

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Youll have to find something else there :D

2. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    Use your imagination ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    With all the talk of new stuff let's not forget how bloody good what we already have is. Inspired by today's 12 hours of Mugello (we really need that track by the way) I just did an endurance race with GT3 and TCR cars at Imola. Absolutely fantastic racing, the AI never missed a beat, had to drive like my life depended on it to go from 6th on the grid to 2nd place. Going through the slower cars while battling with the other GT3 cars was epic! God I love raceroom!

• Like Like x 4
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    This is sadly almost impossible to remove such a loud noise from the original material. I already filtered the GT3R recordings to death in order to get the engine more audible, but here the transmission is covering such a large range of frequencies that it's really hard to keep an acceptable balance.
    Again, with this car, only some multisource recordings would allow to get the engine and transmission sounds splitted.
    Another option is to cheat and use some generic Porsche engine samples (or from another close model) and mix it with the actual GT3R transmission sound.
    This is a common practise in the game industry but I'd rather avoid to get into these extremities, unless it's decided internally.
    Now, the current sound is damn close to the real thing. It is at least totally accurate with the recordings we made, and while I agree that the transmission noise is quite annoying and that it's missing a proper ramp progression in the game, this is how it sounds into this car.
    For sure, the YouTube videos might tell another story, but keep in mind that the recordings conditions are totally different and the cameras often emphasize or mute some sounds due to their internal audio compressor.
    The typical case with the GT3R is that the transmission is so loud in the cockpit that the camera will mute that sound as much as possible to keep the balance with all the others sounds. The whole audio will then suffer of a huge lack of dynamic, with audible volume and balance variations. Therefore, this is probably not the best source to make a sound in a game.;)

And finally, if some others studios managed to record that car properly, I don't think we failed with our own recordings. We only recorded it in the best way we could at that time, and it might be totally different from the method they used themselves.:)

• Like Like x 9
    • Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  5. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Your job must be rather frustrating then because all we can compare your work to are such videos :D

6. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    He he , no worry, I'm used to it and I'm ready to take responsability for my lacks and mistakes :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. RacingSym

RacingSym Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    best Sound imo would be engine 40% Transmission 220% Sound Volumeno_O

8. EsxPaul

EsxPaul Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I appreciate the detailed explanation, Anthony, and also the massive amount of hard work you have no doubt put into making R3E the best sounding sim there is :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  9. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    OK, I am going to ask a terrible and stupid question that might open a can of worms but it is for the good cause:D......My Friday plan is to have a long waited friend over my place to try Raceroom on my rig for the first time and wondering whether the BIG update will happen this Wednesday, Thursday or Friday or not. If the answer is yes, I may have to postpone catching up until the third party software is/are updated, etc... Don't want to ruin his experience with Raceroom (I spoke so much good about RR :D). just want to make sure that everything works well that's all

10. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/maintenance.7817/page-2#post-174649

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
  12. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Depending which extra software you use there is no guarantee they will be up and running straight away though. I use crewchief, simhub and second-monitor at all times Without any of those I don't feel RR is complete....

13. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    there are a lot of the external app devs working on the changes ; dont forget as testers we use stuff aswell , so we test when possible the updates aswell ; im not saying everything will be updated on the day of the patch but there will be a few that will be ready or not far away

Andi

14. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I am runing Crew Chief and Z1 dashboard. I presume Mmos doesnt need patch

15. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Z1 is already released in a new version. Though unclear whether it's an upgrade or a re-purchase, since I've never used it myself.
    I would assume CC is ready either on launch-day or very shortly thereafter.

16. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    I can only speak for myself, but while the change is breaking (as the current version of apps which are depend on the shared memory will 100% not work correctly). It is more of a reorganization thing with some new fields. It is not like sector3 decided to change name of every field and every UOM they use for those fields :D

For me the adaptation, without using any of the new fields, was a sub 30minutes job, so I expect all actively developed apps to be updated shortly after the update, if not before.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Are we getting the cockpit exposure fix for the Porsche 934 RSR this time around that we were suppost to get last time??

• Like Like x 1
  18. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone know if the new update is going to change our settings e.g FFB, cockpit view, advanced settings, sound settings, etc...?

19. G.Deurwaerder

G.Deurwaerder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0

as far as I know this has only happened a few times, so I hope not :mad:

20. totalgamertb21

totalgamertb21 Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    "We usually push the update to the Steam content server around 15:00 CET, give or take."
    I don't know about you, but our clocks have already gone forward over here.