News The March 2019 developer notes

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Nano 10

Nano 10 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    From Race Department (not me)

I bought all the content 2 weeks ago because I like the game and this news sounds really nice but I think that the AI should get an overhaul. The other day I came back on the track on a straight and car behind was still a while back and a couple of seconds later he rammed in the back of me at full speed. So he had no idea where I was and that I was going slower. There was plenty of room to pass.

besides what I said are facts:

it is not contemplated to improve the AI in the roadmap
    the bots have another physics compared to the player
    it is tested with gamepads

It is not opinion, it is information.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    so yoursaying im lying

i dont own a game pad , all i really test is Ai; thats it ; im not a hotlapper etc, i rarely race online ;i dont bop test the cars , but once the bop is set i run test races with Ai , single class ;; multi class, sprint endurance i feed back to the devs , i post bugs , i offer an opinion and suggestions

im not saying the Ai is perfect , but its good , in real life shit happens , drivers make mistakes etc , this will happen with the Ai aswell , as with everything its imperfect , nothing is perfect

Andi

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  3. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Plot twist: nano only plays multiplayer.....

• Funny Funny x 5
  4. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    the Ai is under developement all the time , stuff being added , tweaks , how they react to stress, how they defend etc
    so once again you are wrong

wow , with this one for once , you scratch the surface ..; you are correct , the Ai dont run exactly the same physics package as the player does
    now in your opinion can you think of any reason why this is this way , why it is needed to be this way

Andi

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    I don't think any sim uses same physics for AI and player since that would kill any CPU out there. Actually I think there was patch some time ago that made closest AI driver to a player to have enhanced physics or even the same

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Doesnt assetto corsa use the same physics for ai or is that just something they mightve had planned at some point?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nano 10

Nano 10 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    1) in which part of the roadmap they say they will work on improving AI?

2) in this forum

Christian GöpfertTopological Agitator-betatester

Can't say I've noticed excessive dancing under brakes...and that's with my ungraceful gamepad. Wouldn't happen to have any video of what you're experiencing?

Regarding clutch/transmission: Not really involved with that kinda stuff (gamepad warrior), but there were some changes made in the last patch and I think I've read talk about those introducing some weird behaviour, so I'm expecting some further refinements in that regard shortly.

I did address this in here either, admittedly in a somewhat vague manner, but that's mostly because I don't even know what that clutch talk is really about ( no clutch pedal on my gamepad [​IMG] ).
    I'd still like to see a short clip of what's going wrong.

3) The Ai dont run exactly the same physics package as the player does

Totally agree, they move so fast that it has nothing to do with a normal racing.

I recommend watching a race on TV and a repeat of a race in Race Room and you will see how the bots move in a totally unreal way.

• Disagree Disagree x 7
  8. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    so we have a tester that uses a gamepad ... have you asked yourself why?
    because we have end users who have gamepads

to say from this 1 instance that the Ai are only tested with a gamepad , shows two things to me
    you dont read
    and you dont think beyond your own prejudices

As for all of your other arguements , there rests only one grain of truth , the Ai physics .....
    so maybe you can answer my question to why you think they are that way?

so lets make this clear

your wrong
    your being arrogant by sticking to a dead arguement that is used to cover the fact that you have some very bad habits when driving ; off line , wandering around the track etc

So ill ask you if your going to repost to think very carefully about what you say , and to at least have the respect to answer my questions

Andi

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    No, you're thinking of the number of ticks they use. The physics stay the same.
    (Or at least I'm pretty sure that's the case.)

Nope, they use a similar AI to rF1 (like rF2 does as well). Or at least they did last I checked.

He's not going to listen no matter how many arguments you bring to the table. :D
    Either ignore him, or ban the bugger.

10. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    i believe my last post suggest the direction im heading in

Andi

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. SylverFyre

SylverFyre Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    All sounds great, but I have one quick question.

I play in VR and it the game runs well on my PC, but I drop a load of performance with the game menus open. Will the in game web overlay have the same performance hot as the menus and, if so, will we be able to turn that off?

I'm presuming the engine doesn't like transparent plates as we still don't have over-car driver names in VR and I assume there's a reason for that.

12. Neil Bateman

Neil Bateman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    Obviously with all sims the AI are never and will never be perfect, yes occasionally the AI does something stupid, it happens, but in my experience in general when i go back to the replay its normally always somthing i did that caused the AI to have to react, i know for sure i race the AI completely differently than i do online, i take more risks and pay less attention to everything going on and that normally ends up with me losing out. When i make the effort and show patience and respect for the AI the racing 90% of the time is perfectly fine.

13. Adam Jonas

Adam Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    And in replay mode, you still won't be able to see replay time and/or lap count. I think so many of us waiting for this basic feature more than 3 years now.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. Robert Wiesenmüller

Robert Wiesenmüller Esports / Events

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 0 / -0
    You can see the lap count. Assign a key for “Cycle Replay HUD Elements”

• Informative Informative x 3
  15. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    When we talk about the AI having different physics to the player, what does that actually mean in practice? I assume they still have the same minimum braking distances, acceleration and cornering ability. Or can they do things that we can't? Not on a wind up here, genuinely interested.

16. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Indeed, I'd love to be able to watch a replay with a full TV style overlay.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. totalgamertb21

totalgamertb21 Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I never actually knew what that stuff meant, thank you Robert.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Afaik this feature is still very WIP and performance optimisation is one of the things being worked on.
    However, it is not meant to become a replacement for the regular HUD but rather as an invitation for creators to implement elements in a variety of ways, to enable people to get creative with the data and info the game provides. It will always be an option, not a mandatory requirement.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. RacingSym

RacingSym Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    R3e is my first real Sim. I played all the years Collin, GT and Project Cars. Since gt 4 or five it was ps3, i drive with wheel. So with pcars i heard about real simracing. And i have made my decision and choose r3e because of this amazing, incredible sound. So damn fkn close to the reality.
    I wanted to learn and have some training before i drive online races. I started with the Ai. I through its almost impossible to finish even one race. Oh back then i had agree with You!
    But i also read and watched videos about race driving. I learned very quickly that i do so much wrong. Even the breaking, shifting, also the line wasn't that good. Basically my driving was awful.
    Today i really enjoy the AI. You Can also push them. In time some of them will do slice errors and You Can overtake. The only thing what i still miss. That they do not know the risks of overtaking, where a attack will end almost in a wreck-party. Everything else about the AI is quite solid.

What I want to say at the first place:
    Today i know the most crashes with AI was my mistake. And the car instability when rubbing each other comes from some points you have to concider!

Its all about the power and position of the impact, Line and setup. When they try to overtake, when cars almost flying. These dangerous corners. That Corners where great and well experienced drivers will not try to overtake like the Ai is doing. Its way to dangerous.

Driving with a very aggressive “quali” setup. That means the Car is always very unstable, have the most possible, less down force. Its very quick turning. A Hit in a setup like this will end spinning.

The last thing is. I have done a mistake and iam not even close to the racing line, also to fast, ofc. In situations like these a touch will spin a race car. Even the real gt cars. Because the Car reach almost a point of max force. So it barely can hold on track on its own.

Today still not one of the fast drivers, May never become. But i got some Experience. Learned my part about driving techniques. Now iam drive safety. Sometimes even top 5 in Online Races. Mostly about 10-20-25. its about the overall Pase of the Grid.
    When I do some training. Like right now for the ALN-Classic. I do it both online and offline with AI. Online because training and racing are to different things.
    Everytime when I drive with Ai. Iam surprised how great they behave. I enjoy them a lot. They are not Perfect thats for sure. But still one of the best out there in Racing Games.

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    IDGAF whether the AI uses different physics, as long as their cars don't behave like they weigh as much as a M1A1.