The new adaptive AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paradox Agi, Apr 18, 2016.

1. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    That's the direct opposite from my experience.
    Usually the AI staggers through the slow corners. First section of Nürburgring, Druids, La Source, hairpin at Suzuka etc. etc.
    All are usually where I out-brake and overtake the AI.
    Though granted, it's rare that I race open-wheelers so that may be the issue. I'll give the F4s a whirl and see what I can find.
    But as for Zandvoort Club, that's not the fault of the AI. It's practically impossible to overtake on that track, even against human opponents.

2. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I'll try to demonstrate it with a video later. Their mid-corner speed is too high in corners like turn 1 and 3

3. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    And just to show that the post-patch AI isn't all doom and gloom, how's about 4 laps around the Nordshleife in the TT RS?
    Couple of things I'd like to point out:
    First, up until this race I had driven the RS maybe once.
    Second, in case it isn't painfully obvious from the video, I'm not a Nordschleife connoisseur. I can drive it without crashing (well....usually) but that's about it.
    So both my lines and my braking-zones are anything but predictable, and yet the AI manages just fine.
    Yes, there's a bit of rubbing here and there, but the 3 times there is significant impact it's due to me ramming into them, not the other way around.
    Occasionally they brake harder and earlier than I anticipate with fairly predictable results.
    Fair warning, lap 1 is rather un-exciting. You may want to jump to around 7:45 to get to something with a little meat on.
    But keep an eye on the mini-map. After four laps the entire grid is within maybe 10 seconds of each other. :D

Incidentally, the whole thing sprang from me trying to find a faster way to get the AI up to speed on the Nords, since I didn't really fancy doing 8 training laps of 7-8 minutes each.
    Which is eminently possible, if you don't mind doing some editing.
    The AI you see in the race has had a grand total of 2 training-laps to adjust. :)

4. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I thought AI would only "learn" during races.

5. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Correct.
    Probably poorly phrased on my part. When I say 'training' laps, I simply mean race-laps where the AI has been allowed to run without interference by me.
    I let the AI do its thing, while I poodle around in the back. All I'm looking for is the grid average lap-time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    is there somewhere a tutorial of how to efficiently train the adaptive AI? how to setup a race? there are a lot of information here, but scattered in various discussions :( do we have to train the AI for every track and any car or is valid for every track and car combination? thx

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    I still find the AI a lot more aggressive in adaptive AI. Is it that I train them poorly? :)

I must admit I show very little patience with them and if they are too slow I'll shove my way through most of the time, I don't find them quite as eager to bang my doors if I set the AI at a level I'm comfortable with though, but if it's placebo or whatnot I don't know.

8. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, you are saying the AI are too aggressive? :D
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  9. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Page 4* of this thread seems to have most of the good stuff.... *not 3 as I originally put.
    AFAIK, if I race a GT3 car at Silverstone, then that sets the AAI for all the GT3 cars, and also helps set a baseline for any other tracks I haven't raced at yet.
    If only I could do more than 3 races in a row with a single car type, but at the moment I am like a kiddy in a candy store.:)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  10. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Probably, yes. Mainly it depends on how you go about it.
    Although if you're running Adaptive with your old AI file, that explains it. The post-patch AI is faster (a lot faster actually), so if you're running with the same levels as you did pre-patch, you'll get shoved aside because you're too slow for them post-patch.

11. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Time of day: WE ATTACK AT DAWN!

12. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0

I'm desperately trying to find the time to do a new PDF version of all this info, but for the moment this'll have to do.
    Apologies for the somewhat meandering style of explaining things. :D

• Love it! Love it! x 3
  13. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Make that page 4.
    And a lot of that info is wrong. :D
    Well OK, it's not wrong as such. The method does work, it just happens to work for all the wrong reasons, and there is an easier way to do it.

14. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    That's why I'm hoping you can do a PDF to speed things up :D Not got the time for a 54minute video unfortunately :(

My concern is reading through this thread and not doing it correctly and therefore wasting precious hours figuring it out, an Official Tutorial would be preferred but I'm sure that would've come by now.

15. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Can't blame you. :D
    The problem with doing this as a video is that X interacts with Y which in turn affects Z.
    So I keep getting side-tracked. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Supermini

Supermini Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Here are my notes from the video. It was like taking an online course.

Before starting, you can delete aiadaptation.xml in your C:\Users\[Name]\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\Player1 folder. It's also recommended to do this after each game update that affects the AI.
    1. Pick a car-class.
    2. Pick a short track (e.g. Brands, Hockenheim Club, Monza Junior, Norisring, Suzuka East).
    3. 15 AI drivers, standing start, enough time for 2 laps, qualifying on.
    4. Qualifying: don't qualify yourself (only need to qualify once for each car-class/track combo).
    5. Race: give AI 15 second head start. After 2 laps (i.e. 1 flying lap), Esc > Restart. Repeat until AI leaders' lap times are faster than yours.
    6. Repeat steps 2-5 for 3-4 short tracks.
    That will give the AI good data to draw from, for any class and on any track. Now you can start racing the cars and tracks you want.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    awesome, thanks for sharing. Sounds like decent procedure! Gonna test this now right away :)

Do we need actually opponents for the training?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  18. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    That's a resounding YES. Without AI on track, you won't get any AI entries written.
    The zero-opponent race can serve a purpose since it will add player lap-times into the index-file, but that's about it
    Personally, I find it easier to simply edit the file manually with the desired lap-times, but a zero-opponent race has the same effect, it just takes longer.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jimortality

jimortality Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    You look older and more sensible that I imagined lol

20. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    If I look more sensible than you imagined, I shudder to think of what you may have been imagining. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1