The new FFB, mostly great!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Munty, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Munty

Munty New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hi there.

I was eager to try out the new FFB on the day of release and I was majorly disappointed. I had a bit of a rant about the FFB on the day, I think it was deleted thankfully. The next day I realised I had a fairly major problem with my wheel base, so off it went for fixing and I got it back a couple of days ago. Cor blimey, how superb it is! I can drive cars that previously were completely beyond me, actually feeling where the wheels are is incredible. Absolutely brilliantly executed sector3!

Just one thing, well two...
    a) There's no brake feedback. Certainly with irl ABS you feel the judder of the system when active in the wheel, you feel this also without ABS when you're right on the limit of grip. This would be a great addition and fairly simple to add.
    b) AM2 has a feature where it puts a hard limit on the degrees of rotation, if you set for wheel for a maximum of 120 degrees you CANNOT push your wheel past this point (without force). In RR if you push your wheel to the end of the selected rotation range it get's spongy, you can push past where the wheel should stop. Especially in setups where you would have a small range this feels really odd. A hard stop would be great. Please have a think about it.

(And the new GT4 Mecedes is lovely, when do we get to drive it in the wild?)

2. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Regarding a): there IS some slight stutter already when reaching the edge of grip. It's not as pronounced as the slip effect on the old ffb. I used it myself, but it was quite misleading as it already happened although the edge of grip has not been reached. However, I don't think it's something to be added back in 'fairly simple' due to the purely physics based ffb approach.
    Point b): that's implemented in raceroom, too. When driving an open wheeler for example, I can not steer beyond 180° each side. The softlock blocks the wheel at that position making use of 100% of the wheels force.
    What wheel do you use and have you set the wheels driver software to default values? I'm on a T300 but the softlock also worked on a TMX and a G27 I had before.

Oli

3. Munty

Munty New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, it's a Fanatec DD1. I don't get any rumble when I stamp on the brakes in an ABS car at all, I've played with the minimum forces, tried everything but it's not there. And I don't get a stop at the end of rotation at all, more a progressive force. I have the drivers page set correctly for the game and I've had all the sliders up and down. Strange.

4. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I've never ever felt anything through the wheel in real life when abs is active. The brake pedal, yes, but not the wheel.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Munty

Munty New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I guess it depends on the car and the setup. But the point is providing all possible feedback to the driver, the more immersion the better I reckon. Anyway.....

6. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    You just want fake effects. Fine. Say that then, but don't pretend that ABS is felt through the steering.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kuku

Kuku New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Abs can be felt in very small abouts in some cars depending on how direct the steering systems is ( generally older cars with softer bushings etc. but it’s more just slight micro zig zag of the wheel as the brake releases and bites . generally you won’t notice as other things more important have your attention at that time .. and there is more sensation of the abs system vibrating through the pedal.

that said , just because you don’t feel it irl doesn’t mean it’s not a valid piece of force feedback.
    At the end of the day all FFB is fake and is part of a system designed for toy wheels in front of a screen, some just have more expensive toys to play in than others.

The new r3e system is reasonably informative , but does miss a couple of tricks .
    I’d like to see some improvement in subtle drive traction info as there’s no warnings of wheel spin oversteer in powerful cars with no tc.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    The core idea for this FFB rework (besides the overarching goal of making it a 100% physics-based model) was to demystify the setup part of it. With the old system there were dozens of in-game sliders and settings, augmented by even more settings hidden away in the files. This led to people (feeling the need to be) spending hours over hours adjusting values, often ending in frustration or wrong assumptions.

I think that goal has been achieved now, there's basically two settings you might need to dial in, all the others are there to cover special use cases really. It's too early to say whether or not we will (need to) reintroduce some immersion effects and if so in what fashion, but we're monitoring user feedback and will try to improve upon the solid foundation we have now.

As of now a fairly large portion of users appear happy with the new system as it is, so I think (and hope) the multitude of settings won't make a comeback. Overall they made things more complicated than need be.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  9. IndEnt

IndEnt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Yes, as far as the setting options are concerned, it is now really good and tidy - I only miss a bit of feedback in the FFB about braking and acceleration forces that affect the steering (similar to rF2) - but all in all, I already have a very good driving experience with the actual FFB ... (except for the GT1, but they don't have any new physics yet - maybe the FordGT?)

• Agree Agree x 1