The perfect start

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Moritz Löhner, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Moritz Löhner

Moritz Löhner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +621 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

since the new transmission model I never had a good start.
    If I want to start after the red lights gone the engine turns high and after a short time the car moves. That´s very strange, but there are many drivers which are starting normal.
    How are they doing this? What I have to do?
    I tested so many ways to have a good start but didn´t found a working solution...

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Try setting the clutch bite point to the lowest possible value.

3. Adam Jonas

Adam Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    Put it in first gear, rev up until the 75% of the max rev, and then you have to play during the acceleration process to avoid spinning the wheels. :)

4. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    1-depress the clutch fully (or a button assigned in its place).
    2-put the car in gear.
    3- rev enough so that the engine doesn't bog.
    4-when the lights go out release the clutch/button quickly so that you get min wheel spin without bogging the engine.

5. Flavourlicious

Flavourlicious Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    For me it changes from car to car really. With WTCC cars I use Adam's method, playing with the throttle to find the sweet spot between power (MOOOORE! :p) and not spinning the tires. But with GT3 cars I pretty much floor it with a little bit of playing in 1st gear if my setup is a high speed one.

-----

Sorry for the off-topic add-on to my reply, but I want to take the opportunity to lay out two bugs related to the starts. I wanted to post a separate topic about this but I haven't tested enough to replicate the bugs.

I always have auto-clutch disabled during starts and enable it after the start when possible (with sequential-box cars).

Bug 1 - Sometimes, when the lights go out, the car won't move at all. I have seen this bug myself a few times and I know others have had this happen to them. Sometimes the car will start after a short moment but at other times you have to shift to second to have the car roll of (and then back to first for better launch obviously).

Bug 2 - I have had this happen twice, once in a random race and once I an official race (race 2 of the second round of the TPC TM series) What happened was: The start was good, the car launched as planned but I noticed the gearbox damage indicator was lit. The gearbox was damaged as if I was racing for 10 minutes without clutching, the car was skipping and missing gears and continuing is pretty much pointless.

Bug 1 is a bug that happens pretty regularly and seems to be random, with both auto and manual clutch drivers. Bug 2 has happend twice and I've not been able to replicate it.

Once I have replicated bug 2 (and 1 maybe) I will open a separate topic about the bugs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    I've had Bug 1. It has been reported.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Yeah bug #1 is a real buzz kill when it happens. Lately i've been shifting to 2nd before the start, then back down to 1st...not sure if this fixes it but no issues yet when doing this. Can also confirm auto/manual clutch does not seem to make a difference.

8. Flavourlicious

Flavourlicious Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    I've had it happen when shifting before the starts as well. Even had it happen once when I went through all of them, from 1st to 6th and back. :p

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, race starts are kind of finicky since the transmission model got put in. Im not sure what it is either, as I have had a hell of a time getting off the line in many races. Dropping the clutch as the lights go green and I am stuck on the line for a half second til the car finally gets moving, much like Moritz. What I have learned as a work around to this is to drop the clutch before the lights go green, and if timed properly, you will be able to launch when the lights go out. Kind of a bad solution in my book, but since jump starts are in the game, this work around does well enough for me.

As for the bugs Flavourlicious mentioned. Bug 1 is known as Machwebb said. I've been hit with that pretty badly when the new transmission model got put in, but in the past few months, the frequency with which it happens has really diminished.

Something that has worked for me, is putting the car into 1st gear like normal before the lights go out, and then shifting back to neutral, and then back into 1st gear. For some reason, it has seemed like the game doesnt register the first time you put the car in gear perhaps as a bug. Since I have switched to 1st, back to neutral, and then back to 1st to start the race, I havent been stuck on the line. Maybe this will help. :)

Cheers

10. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Remember false starts aren't implemented in MP..so you can hold the revs using auto clutch, and assuming you don't get the bug, bog down or spin up your tyres, you should get away just fine when the lights go out.

11. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, yeah, Im not sure what I was actually thinking of there.... Im not sure exactly then, I just know I have had success dropping the clutch before the lights go out :p

I should probably go back to practicing now and being more observant on those things, thanks. ;)

12. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Had both bugs, #1 seems to be in GT3 predominantly and totally random, only way I found round it was whacking it into 2nd then back again, of course by then I've been rear ended and am pirouetting somewhere other than on tarmac. #2 best just leave it with auto clutch until S3 fix the issue with broken gearboxes.
    Soon be Friday then all can ask the Devs directly regarding individual bugs and gripes (could be a marathon stream) think I may request update on ridding multiplayer of entry lag, just costing me too many hot laps! :mad:

13. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    if you get the bug just assign a button for the clutch and hold it till the lights go out. fixed everything for me