The Project CARS thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ::SKRO::, May 7, 2015.

1. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    That would be great, that really bothered me.
    I use only cockpit view, but I tend to use the look back button frequently, which makes the difference very obvious.

True, but I managed to get used to it.
    When using the look back view, are you now seeing the thrunk and/or aero parts (spoiler) like in R3E, or just an "open" view like before?

2. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    dafuq... today was a 33GB Patch/Update incoming for Project Cars 2. It's usually 3 to 5GB.. but today... wow...I'm very curious now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Interesting to read your thoughts sbtm ... I bought into pC2 early again as I did for pC1, but only in the last 2 or 3 weeks had a chance to properly test it as it did not work properly with my AccuForce early on plus I wanted to wait until the VR was properly implemented which it is now and is brilliant. I am really impressed and the FFB is phenomenal on my wheel, I am using the preset Raw which is recommended for Direct Driver or high torque wheels. My preference in FFB has been rF2, AC and RRRE in that order but pC2 is superior and I think in part due to the way the tire model and new Livetrack system works. Sound is another area shaping up to blow all else away, including RRRE which I have long considered the best. People with a grudge against pC1 for whatever reason will probably stubbornly refuse to see or accept that pC2 is a new beast that is soundly superior in every respect. But for most sim racers they will be very pleasantly surprised later this year and it will be a huge seller, the problems of the original will be a distant memory, imho. :cool:
    ps. Forgot to say, the physics have been overhauled and few cars I drove so far felt amazing with much greater sense of connectivity and feeling what the tires and suspension are doing by compare with pC1. I hate to say but I went back to back driving couple of same or similar cars in AC, R3E and pC2 and I just wanted to stay driving pC2 as the driving feel & physics of how the car reacted just felt so natural without being either easy or improbably hard. The other big plus for me is that the motion also felt incredibly good & totally in sync with the FFB which to me says the physics are tuned & working correctly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
  4. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    There was a window of opportunity for anyone to buy into the pC2 beta back in June 2015, it went for about 3 months if memory serves me. But no, there is no way to enter beta now and you have to wait until release later this year. "Septemberish" is stated but more likely to be close to end of year as they released too early last time and bugs hounded them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I was just reading and I assumed you signed here-
    http://www.wmdportal.com/projects/project-cars-2/

But I see that's not the case. Are you getting build updates? How close to finished does it look to you?

6. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    The build updates daily during the week (mostly) as the game is still heavily under development and a big part of that is the car physics so it is still early to judge anything completely. But there are already some incredible cars, both from the original game with new physics plus many new unseen cars some of which have never been driven in any sim I know of. The selection of new & old is great and one thing I was mightily impressed with is how Livetrack works, from the track rubbering in dynamically to how water pools and then dries, not to mention the incredible 24hr day with seasonal changes and dynamic weather including snow & blizzards. Plus there are new tracks like Long Beach, Fuji and Daytona to name a few. But as stated we are only allowed to talk about what is already information freely available in the gaming press etc. As Ian Bell has stated, it will be finished when it is finished and I only know what is already out there, september being aimed for but really is uncertain and all of us want the release to be only when it is fully complete and ready to roll.

• Like Like x 1
  7. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    You have sold me! Has there been mention of a championship mode for offline racers? It was lacking in the first one and really killed the replayability value of the title for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. nickyjj2011

nickyjj2011 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    dont really care for the graphics in this game, although they do looking very good, i just want a game that is racing and everything that is included in that.. pitstops, damage simulated, 24 racing, retirements great car handling, physics flag system and bug fixes.

9. neil

neil Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Thanks nice to here things are going ok and get some insite. How is the ai atm, is there anything that is maybe not working so well?

10. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    To me graphics are really not the top priority, the feel of driving and that I am immersed in the belief it is as real as I could imagine is most important to me and great FFB contributes to that. However the graphics, together with the new sound system, in pC2 are absolutely incredible and the graphical improvements are progressing steadily as far as I can see. I assume you have only seen video or screen grabs but they only show you so much really according to whatever build and pc specs.

Re the AI it is still being tuned but so far I find it to be much improved but again, still early days and it will be highly tuned before release as I know there is a team of people working on all the different aspects of the many individual AI personality physics that will be in the final release.

11. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I faintly remember reading the same kinda comments during PC1 development, and yet somehow they managed to spoil it in the later pre-release stages, so I'm hesitant until there's a "final" product on the shelves.

Not to slag off SMS, the same thing happens with loads of games. For me it's always been Pro Evo Soccer with that same weird thing happening over and over each year. The game was brilliant during some stage of development, but the final release never managed to live up to that and lacked in one department or the other.

But I certainly wouldn't mind if your predictions came true, outstanding competition always raises everybodys game in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  12. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    The way Ian Bell himself treated his customers on the pcars forum made me feel sick!
    He was behaving even worse than the trolls. And upon that starting to develoup a sequel before they even fixed the bugs of the first one... .
    I will not support a company like this with my money.

And like Christian said, I heard great things from the betatesters of pCars 1, and it sucked big time! :mask:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    What did he do? Could it possibly be worse than Stefano, the "God" of AC fans, flaming and cursing a user on their forum who dared questioned the physics? Lucky for us Sector3 are so nice and friendly :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Was all a storm in a tea-cup in my opinion. The game was quite good but not as good as most folks were expecting, which shouldn't be a surprise for any game really. Some players were pretty brassed off at some of the bugs (fair enough - there were some howlers). Ian Bell fought his corner when folks slagged off him and his team.

Dunno why anyone was surprised on either count really. Games never live up to hype, the SMS team worked their arses off, the product was pretty good (but not perfect), their boss defended them and their product vigorously online.

I'm looking forward to PCars2. The original was nearly great and I'm hoping the sequel gets a bit closer to the pre-release hype and expectations

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    For me, pCars did not "suck" at all.
    I am still enjoying it, though it certainly has not the best physics, granted... but I can live with them, as can I with FFB which is really not bad once you get it tuned it (though it as way too complicated - but has been changed for the sequel).
    Lots of nice cars, a LOT of tracks.

As far as I'm concerned, it met most of my expectations, even surpassed some of them, on the other hand lacked some things I would have liked to see.
    To make up for some of the shortcomings we also got a lot of free content afterwards, which was a nice gesture IMO.
    I'm not one of the thousands of people that already pre-ordered the collectors/limited/ultra edition, but I'm sure I'm going to buy as soon as it is available on Steam (especially since it has proper triple screen support) :p

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
  16. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    a point i cannot agree 100% .. most of the cars I drove in pc2 lack this.. "oomph" in the sound. But true the sounds are 300% better than in pc1 and I think the finished product will make it even harder for @Anthony Monteil to stay on the sound throne. But competition is good for us customers :) I really like the different tire squeal sounds in PC2. But overall I wouldn't say they are superior (at this moment) to everyone else.

FFB is very good but not my favourite one in this genre.. even though I only have a T300 belt driven wheel I use RAW most of the time. sometimes "informative", but "immersive" is far from driveable for me. But it's like day and night when compared to PC1 FFB. It's very very good and not complicated. Heck, even R3E FFB menu is complicated compared to pc2.

It will be a great game, that's for sure, but I still have my problems with it. Not with the physics or so (they're amazing) but with the content. It's just not enough race cars for me... I don't like racing street cars so a huge portion from the content is nothing interesting for me. But that's my personal problem.

I think PC2 will be my second main sim beside R3E (until GTR3 is released hehe), although I think I'll stick to R3E in the long term. R3E always had the best long time motivation of all racing sims for me.
    But I'm excited what pc2 will bring to us multiplayer-wise etc.

No chance that they will fuck this game up in the last months.. I mean.. something must go very very wrong to make this happen.

And the first thing I will do after PC2 is out, is signing up for WMD PC3 :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. neil

neil Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    There are about 120 race cars in pcars 2, that is more than r3e no?
    Personally as a petrolhead i like the variety of cars, i think its great i can get in an xj220, then race a gte car & then rally around in a classic rallx or a group 5 for me its a dream, I like this in AC & wish there was more variety in R3e tbh. I do like how i can jump in to a championship in r3e & all the right cars are there, I think this is where pcars 2 need to work on, so if i choose to race group 5 cars there is enough to make a championship as i think there are more categories in pcars2 so those 120 are spread more thinly. I hoping the DLC is well thought out in this respect & don't release yet more gt3 cars at the expense of touring cars for example.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I wonder how often that sentence could be heard around the offices behind Batman Arkham Knight or Mass Effect Andromeda or The Division or Mirrors Edge Catalyst or CoD InfWarf or...... ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    @sbtm - The sound platform in pC2 is totally new system from pC1 and I agree your comment some cars lack atm. However that is because not all cars are redone or updated yet, the system is still being updated & refined. I love R3E race sound above all else but what I heard in pC2 in surround sound is top shelf imho. I also prefer race spec to roadcars, many awesome LMP cars new & old in there plus the GT3 cars are a joy to drive.

Those that choose to get hungup on the past, well good luck to them but maybe reserve serious judgement for after experiencing pC2. When hurtling flatout towards Eau Rouge or Flugplatz the furthest thing from my mind is some smackdown Ian Bell rightly or wrongly served yonks ago to someone who likely gave as good as they got - best advice is to toughen up princess and get on with the show or rather, the race! ;)

20. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Really encouraged by what i hear so far guys. I loved pc1 for about five minutes until i realized that the ffb and sound were pretty awful. I didn't think they'd take the ffb seriously, but it sounds like they've done their homework on this one. Really looking forward to this. Triple screen support and VR also a huge plus!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1