The Project CARS thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ::SKRO::, May 7, 2015.

1. Montag911

Montag911 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    wo ist die fahrspur der autos im regen??? kommt es noch ??
    Where is the lane of cars in the rain ??? Is it still?

2. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    It is probably warmer here then.
    Latest build:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Apart from the fact that the Nordschleife is closed during winter months (just like any other race circuit I guess, #realism) will there actually be racing in such conditions, in mp and/or against the AI? Or just hotlapping, which is what we've seen so far?

4. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, that looks like the snow we have here in north-west-Germany most of the time... :D

@Christian Göpfert: Hm, I guess for some Events it will be used - but we'll see... it's nothing for serious racing-Leagues I guess. But as project cars aimes all sorts of users that niche must be filled, too. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    @Montag911
    No, it's dynamic. It's obviously more visible on longer races or accelerated time. It depends on temperature and the amount of cars at the track and also if the track drains faster or slower.

@Christian Göpfert
    I don't do solo/offline/career but I don't think there will be unrealistic events like that. A special "event/invitation" would be passable IMO... it would depend on how absurd it would be :D

But I don't see any reason to try in the virtual world what we wouldn't IRL... Actually, me driving a P1GTR IRL in a sim is as unrealistic as it gets. I'll never drive one IRL :D

/edit
    Ninja'd
    and
    :facepalm:

6. Joseph Mitchell

Joseph Mitchell Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    does this game have the ability to let users create their own liveries?

7. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, thanks for the responses. Really just wondering if they are trying to create an AI that also works under such conditions...

8. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    In pCars 1, you could use 1 (one) custom livery per car.
    Don't know how this will work in the sequel though.

9. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    From what I have picked up there will be no custom livery support, but then again they do have real life liveries this time and more liveries overal.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Sometimes they try to replicate sims IRL too... :p

• Like Like x 3
  11. Montag911

Montag911 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

12. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Gülden a good collegue of me is a very cool typ.

Was working together with him. Never had so much fun while working.

13. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    "Steering like a boat" redefined. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    @Montag911

Your answer got inside the quote.
    Instead of answering you, let me show you the physics part of it. Go here

These videos aren't even the more recent ones.
    Here's a more recent video from an in-game WIP time lapse (just one example)

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Just in general:
    Some people act like hypocrites when it comes to racing Sims.
    First they praise sims that have "only" basic features and another time they talk another sim down for not having the last little details, despite this sim has more details and simulated components than any other sim ever made to this day. As if it wouldn't be worth to play it because it's missing one or two minor visual details.

@Montag911 I don't know what you're trying to achieve but what you complain about are very little details that just have no priority. Like the trails the tires leave on the rain.
    Developers have a performance budget for their game, so they can spend it for visual details or for simulation fidelity. That's the reason why leafless trees were dropped for winter because it took too much performance. Also for having 60fps on 4k on consoles they would need to drop livetrack 3.0 or simplify it heavily. They didn't. Simulation before visuals! For some other (visual) things to achieve they would need to drop livetrack fidelity by 50%. Best visuals is not their goal. Livetrack 3.0 processes 1GB of date every minute btw.
    They have no more performance budget for eye-candy, so don't expect every little detail being implemented, and some may be reduced or simplified. But they are doing their best to please both the simulation guys and the graphics nerds. But priorities are set to simulation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    that sounds not very much, a bit more than 256 kb per frame (at 60 Hz), or 64k float values... are you sure it was not per second?

17. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    it's very much if you consider it only processes "simple values" and not any visuals or so. I don't know at what frequency livetrack works, so we can only speculate. 1GB of basically textfile per minute... sounds a lot to me.

18. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, but if you consider that that should include every bit about every inch of the track at any given moment...Guess it depends on how fine the mesh is and what info it actually contains.

19. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    it's not every inch. it's small patches (I don't know exactly how big they are, maybe 10x10cm?). And 1Gb is just a rough estimation. With lots of rain and lots AI and big track it certainly can be way more than 1GB.

Info contains afaik (and what I could see from the debug screens, which are gone now since a month or so) rubber saturation and location (where and how much), temperature, dirt/mud/gravel saturation and location), rain saturation, racing line (for the rubber and drying line..

for a lap around Nordschleife this would mean that 6 to 7 GB data was processed during one lap. If that's not much, then I don't know what's much.. that's an 8th of the whole game size. 1 single lap.

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I guess we outsiders tend to underestimate how many data blocks are being pushed through the (V)RAM by an average application. Just take an average DDR3-1600 RAM module. Those have a theoretical data rate of >12GB/second per channel iirc, so 1GB per minute is nothing.