The Project CARS thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ::SKRO::, May 7, 2015.

1. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    You guys seem more enthusiastic than me before release :-D

2. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    So, guys, do you have a concensus? :D
    Is it good or not?

3. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Consensus will never be easy to achieve.
    Imo it is good, but needs some more work.
    I like a lot of aspects already.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I know that.
    But, your summary is interesting :)
    Wait & see, I suppose?

5. William Wester

William Wester Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Consensus? On an internet forum? :D

Depending on how you will use PC2, your mileage may vary. I hear some issues but I don't think anything is game-breaking and SMS will fix any glaring bugs in due time (I believe, they did with PC1). I think most of the bugs or idiosyncrasies are on the console version. I haven't run into anything really but I have only been testing the cars on various tracks with an occasional AI race. To me, PC2 is a VERY good racing sim with more game features than most computer sims. I'm most likely going to get some flack for this next comment but I compared a few similar cars between R3E and PC2 - for the most part the PC2 cars felt more connected to the road, R3E (while good) have a gliding over the road surface feel. I'd say though that overall PC2, R3E, AC, AMC, and rF2 all fit into the sim category - some better in certain areas and vice-versa. I like more historic cars (race or road) and the ones I tried feel great.
    Again, a gamers' FFB wheel, or game loyalty/familiarity), may effect their experience and opinion of PC2.
    With the steam 2 hour refund policy I don't know why some don't just form their own opinion by actually playing it - but, do yourself a favor and keep an open mind ;)
    Thrustmaster TX/T3PA/TH8A, 5870x1080 triple screens, i7, 16GB, GTX1070.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely right.

Nice game, Much fun to drive. Had a couple of great AI GT3 races so far. Its realy great if you compare the price to other sims. And i NEVER was able to judge over a game after a couple of hours. In the first two hours every game ist bullshit. So R3e was too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    beer goggles will always help ^^

8. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I get all the hype, but reasonably speaking? Nope. I still enjoy Raceroom more and FFB is significantly superior to CARS 2, at least in terms of settings I have in both games. The graphics in Raceroom also appeal more to me, there is no irritating pop-in, no shadow flickers and overall I think the cars look better with that cleaner look. Tracks... yeah, I still prefer Raceroom, the quality in CARS 2 is all over the place at times. Cars overall also win in R3E - GTO classics feel better, there is Group 5 with the awesome Vette and let's not forget the sounds. Raceroom is behind in many aspects, but just as CARS 2 has its absolute hit features, so does Raceroom. And it actually took me years of playing Raceroom on and off fully to appreciate it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Both in terms of FFB and the car selection is a highly subjective matter.
    I find the FFB in Raceroom the most both informative and detailed ffb of all other sims, and with the best feeling.

The carlist is really good in both. (Love vintage cars!)
    But for me, I don't give a rats ass about street cars, and SMS should have focused on making fewer cars really good, because some cars in Pcars 2 didn't feel good at all.
    And the ones that both sims have, the R3E versions fealt better and more accuret imo.

Graphics is stunning in both, but of course Pcars 2 have a big advantage here do to the dx11 lighting, day / night and weather.

Both have really good track lists, but I found the tracks in Pcars to look more constructed, they feel and looks more real in Raceroom.
    I also questioned some turns and elevationchanges in Pcars 2 that feelt wrong compared to real fotage of the tracks.

The price you gave for it was good, but after all DLC's you will easy more than triple that!
    You can get all R3E content for €65.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Just a little reminder on that... The Business-Model of both are totally different and hard to compare. But yeah - you can get the Base-Game for free + all the Content from R3E for around 63€ but future Content must be bought piece by piece (or maybe as an upcoming pack for future classes). In PCars2 you must pay the Basegame for 59€ at the moment + upcoming DLC which can be pre-buyed for 29€ as a season-pass. That will contain of 4 DLC-Packs with more or less unknown-content (for sure SMS has already planed the content). PCars2 will be supported for a year. After that there might be a successor which must be bought again to stay on track. R3E is in contiuous development. So new updates come up regularily for free.

But in the end it's good that you found a Sim that met with your demands...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    The replay sound really sucks :)
    Just heard it. Luckily most of the time i sit in the cockpit :)

The AMG GT3 in Glenn was fun, too. Hat a good race again untill my tires gave up :-(

12. Neil Bateman

Neil Bateman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    Pcars2 online rating system is a bit of a ball ache, get fairly quickly to an E rating, have 5 or 6 good clean races with the E rating and not seem to go anywhere, but next race you get punted off twice, get warnings from race director, fight back to a top 5 and drop down back to an F, so 1 bad race wipes out the good work from the previous 6 races which seems a bit harsh.

13. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    the system is still learning

14. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Rmm...yeah...but a small nuance here.
    That may be true now, but I have been buying content long before the "Essential Packs" existed. Then I bought the premium pack and right after that they began to add further content. Made a little addition and I payed close to 200€ (give or take a euro).
    To own all content (I have not bought Falkenberg-Imola-Knutstorp-Sepang-BMW 235i-Formula X17) I still need to add some 27 euro to the account.
    Whereas pCars2 (pre-ordered including season pass) costed me 78 euro...
    Btw: just checked: at this moment the Premium pack holding all content is 99,79 euro...

So that sounds a bit different, right ? :p

15. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    I have to admit I feel teased to check out PC 2 (AC is a dust catcher since I never felt the urge to really check it out) but from my own approach to my new game titles there is a certain pattern which goes:
    Phase 1. Pure Awe - all is new, shiny with a lot of new features, gizmos, new grafics that might overwhelm me, so I tend to exaggerate like a little boy who got a new Teddybear ("awesome", "best of best", "new definition of simracing" and wtf. else :) e.g.see Kolys post )
    Phase 2 The shiny coating of something new slowly wears off, after intense tests I realize that "new" neccessarily doesn't mean "better" at all, but is just part of modern marketing strategies that feed from high hopes and childish greed (e.g. see Kolys post):)
    Phase 3 a I detect bugs, glitches, inconsistencies, physics issues (old and new) that no shiny gfx appearance and sugar coating or good intention can cover - or that it is just a cheap rehash/spin-off of a previous title which mostly is followed by total disenchantment and I stick to what has proven as reliable & comforting regarding long term usage (6 months at least). Mostly my intuition serves me well when doing so...
    Phase 3b On very rare occasions I find myself convinced that the new game product is worth my money, time and energy I usually invest in.

So guess I'll wait what's coming up else with PC2 within the next 6 month, before i decide to get it (or not)

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  16. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I think you may be surprised that phase 1 is skipped entirely

• Like Like x 2
  17. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    At least when you play on a console or a potatoe (or use MSAA instead of SMAA)..

18. 2Lame2Aime

2Lame2Aime Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to add that phase 2 stops after 2 or 3 short races.

19. William Wester

William Wester Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Have to agree, not great looking on consoles but on a good PC it can look fantastic.
    Console players are also saying FM7 is a step back graphically. Something has to give when adding weather/night racing etc but again both of these titles look great on my PC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Not sure on console, but on PC Forza 7 destroys CARS 2 when it comes to graphics. Rain looks better (CARS 2 has these thick drops that no matter how dense the rain is, it looks like a monsoon), road reflections in wet look better, sunsets look better, the whole lightning thing looks better. While Forza may be more of a game, it does have a more photorealistic look, while CARS 2 looks gamey, sort of like GRID Autosport, only with more pop-in and terrible aliasing no matter the settings. Not that it looks bad at all, but seriously Forza is the best looking car game out there rivaled only maybe by NSF 2015 when you are driving in wet in the hills in these sunrise conditions. Honestly, I think CARS 2 looks worse then CARS 1 and runs worse, despite the VR crowd claims. I was getting a solid 60 in all conditions with a full grid in CARS 2 whereas in 2, I tend to drop to mid-30s in the storm while maxed out and between high and ultra settings there seems to be no visual difference, only on high I can get that solid 60 in 1080p. Forza also rules in the sound department, it's the only thing that comes close to Raceroom in terms of engine sounds overall. Maybe AC with some cars and AMS with the recent updates are close, but not overall.

That said, even as just a game, CARS 2 is just better overall, since you don't have to deal with all the crap outside of racing.