Bug The Punishment Factor

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Maddawg, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Maddawg

Maddawg Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Actually I don't think its a bug. I think it is deliberately built into the game. I just wish it wasn't so radical. I know why it is in the game, I'm sure it is to punish rammers and crashers. I'm all for that. It is present in Single Player Mode and is more than annoying in that it only takes a tap to the rear bumper of the car ahead and its game over. My car ALWAYS ends up backwards on the track or nose to rail. So from being second, I end up last. Is it possible to not make it so radical?? Its hell when I've driven 4 laps at Nordschleife and lose it on the last lap. Its is so annoying I just close the game and play pCars or rFactor, that's not what I want. I want to continue playing and buy cars and tracks in Raceroom but lately I just rage quit.

2. Henri Puustinen

Henri Puustinen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    Do you mean that when you touch another car from behind, you loose out and crash out?

3. Maddawg

Maddawg Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    That's it. Frustrating as all get out. Just the tiniest tap and its over.

4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Were there very many AI cars in the session you're referring to?
    Kinda related: Is your system more or less performing "on the brink", i.e. do you utilise all processing power there is?
    Finally: Did you experience the infamous "magnetic contact" before (your car weirdly "sticking" to the opponent car for a second when there's contact)?

It's definitely not intended to be a punishment. I can happily play bumper cars, quite heavily actually (depending on the car class, but the olden times Touring Cars f.e. work as I'd expect them to).

• Like Like x 2
  5. Maddawg

Maddawg Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I usually run 12 AI cars, 18 max. I have the video settings at default. No, I didn't experience the infamous "magnetic contact" either. Its interesting that It always ends up off the track and backwards or against the rail nose first. No matter how much steering effort I apply its always the same. I'll check my replays and post. Thanks Christian.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    The infamous autospin . I reported that a long long time ago. I gave up a long time ago racing the Ai. I wish it was working but .. as i see in many thread the Ai still not worth spending time with.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well, I don't think it's an AI issue. It's not just me, look at Georg's videos of races he's done against the AI, we don't experience the same thing. (Which is a pitty cause that means we cannot reproduce it reliably. Same thing goes for the magnetic contacts, in my total playing time I've had 2 of those, and they happened over a year ago.....Maybe they are a punishment after all...^^)

So I'm still looking for a common denominator, that's why I asked those questions, cause I thought it might be connected to the processing/computing load.

• Like Like x 1
  8. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I dont think you are giving the AI enough credit without trying them yourself. As Im sure most of us know, many people that report issues with AI in any game, dont drive all that smart :p So, many issues can be avoided simply by giving respect to the AI and treating them like a human opponent.

The AI can be quite good. Just give the NSU at Karlskoga a go. Or the Audi TT cup at Sonoma WTCC. Or the DTM 16 at Paul Ricard WTCC.

All those are fantastic.

Hopefully soon the AI will be a bit less aggressive and more aware of the player, so this will be yet a further improvement.

Frankly, I do think that is a universal issue. It's just... some people dont put themselves in a position to have this specific (albeit rare) problem. If you dont drift out wide on corner exit into an AI car... or side swipe them on a low speed straight, you arent going to notice the issue.

And as you point out in Georg's vids... how many times does he scrape the AI or bump into them in a bad way? I can usually count on a single hand how many times that happens. Zero.

So, should he drive in a worse way, Im sure he would have the same issue. :p

9. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well, yeah, but there are contacts now and then and they play out as you'd/I'd expect them to. Just chose Georg cause I know he does AI videos and couldn't come up with another example from the top of my head. ;)

The thing is you definitely won't find magnetic contacts or inexplicable "spin-outs" in his (and many others' incl. me) yet there's another group of people who do experience this behaviour and we've seen video proof of it happening in situations where for me (on my machine and many others') it wouldn't have happened.

So there's gotta be sommin that triggers this.

10. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Just the Roberts getting their own back for previous misdemeanours!

Roberts never forget! ;)

11. Maddawg

Maddawg Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Demo of my so-called punishment factor. Sure, a lot of these are my fault but the cause should not justify the resultant. At least 60% of the crashes end up nose to wall or backwards on the track. Notice the entry into the wall. At a 45 degree entry angle and steering away from the wall it would seem that odds are the vehicle would continue forward, not reverse itself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. testdriver69

testdriver69 Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    lots of bumpercar but strange physics there indeed
    for example: @0:38 left turn, you overtake on the outside and touched a car with the far back left of your car.
    in real life your car would spin counterclockwise because you lose grip at the back getting kicked
    here you spin clockwise headfirst into the rails ?!?

1:10 seems magnetic,

walls most def have too much grip on impact

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  13. DaniloE31

DaniloE31 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    @Maddawg : sorry mate... but most of the times it looks like you just heavily crash into them, so how can you expect to not get involved in a major pirouette? ;)
    And some other times maybe you're just too heavy on the gas and oversteer into the barrier...

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  14. Racki

Racki Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    @Maddawg I see many driving errors too. But my experience is also that the lightest touch results in an absolute spinoff.

I had many tries with DTM16 on Nordschleife yesterday and really tried hard to give them space, protect the line and all other tips you guys have mentioned here. I am currently Leaderboard #9 so I guess I am not completely off in terms of speed and line.
    I go with level 112 and the AI is lifting gas in Hocheichen where you can go with full throttle (even wing 5). Therefore I am much faster on Flugplatz but overtaking there is immensely risky because the straight has some light kinks and the AI follows the ideal line. A light touch when I am already beside them results in spins. Even if I manage to pass by I have to cover the very inside of every single corner entry. The lightest gap will be used by them to put their nose in and then I am completely fired off with spin and crash. Of course leaving a gap open is my fault but the punishment like you called it is really hard.
    So after all I think the competitiveness of the AI, which is very welcome does not match with the collision physics. Looking at scenes in TV especially DTM there are touchings with carbon parts flying around many times.But these do not cause so massive spins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    exactly this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    0:38 and 0:55 beg to differ. I've had that happen before many times. Completely off the throttle and the car spins in the opposite direction to what would logically happen.

Something with the collision system is super effed up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yep, some prototypical magnetic contacts in that vid. Some not so good driving as well, sorry to say this @Maddawg ;)
    But I'd sure as hell like to find out why those happen, and why they don't happen to everyone or everytime.

Only thing I can assure you guys of is that we bring all these things to the devs attention, hopefully they'll find a way to fix or at least improve on the contacts.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Looks to me like Maddog is deliberately driving bad to show a point, that being said, yep had many occasions where the outcome is the total opposite to what would be expected from a collision or even just a panel rub.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Maddawg

Maddawg Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Yes, as Not Lifting Off noted above, I was showing worst case scenarios. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Maddawg

Maddawg Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Adding a footnote: Suddenly I am in love with Raceroom again. I'm not sure exactly what is going on, but as of Wednesday morning there has been a complete turn around in performance. Tuesday night the game was as shown above in my YouTube vid. Slippery track, catastrophic crash occurances about 70% of the time. I use Nordschleife as my test bed. So, Nordschleife, ADAC cars. Wow, car handling, unbelievable. Rear end banging, paint trading yes, but recovery, very manageable. Grip, unbelievable. Aw, somethings wrong, I must be in Amateur Mode. Nope, still in Get Real mode. WTF? Lets try some other disciplines. WTCC, always been a bitch, those FWD cars. Nope, great performance. Alright, lets try Group 5 cars and the Zakspeed. Nope, great performance. I don't know what to think. I have changed my centering spring stiffness from 60% to 50% but I can't believe that would affect the magnetic contact (nose to rail/backwards to track). RR hasn't made any new downloads, so I'm baffled.