The weakest UI and HUD in the market

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by unrealnoise, Jun 15, 2018.

?

What do you think about the UI and HUD in R3R?

1. very weak

6.3%
  2. weak

27.8%
  3. satisfactory

31.6%
  4. good

25.3%
  5. very good

8.9%
  1. unrealnoise

unrealnoise New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I like the raceroom. I paid all tracks. But the UI and HUD are weakest I have ever seen.

Did you see the simple iRacing HUD? It isn't a complex stuff, but I love to use that. Readable and very easy usable.

Did you see the upcoming rF2 UI? This could be the best UI what I have ever see in my life. Modern, nice, colored and clean.

I don't understand why didn't get a better UI and HUD. The R3R is not a new title, but I can see a long time ago that it is not imporved. Nothing happened.

Ok, I know that I can use some dashboard app, and I like these too, but it's not enoug for me.

I pay for R3R but I will like to see that it will be improved so many way.

I like the AC HUD too, Kunos have so many good idea. Example: We can see the times of all cars on the small square. (Do you know what I'm thinking... yes, the small squares what are green, purple depend what kind of your speed on the track.)

And another boring for me that when I finish any session, I don't see any statistic. I'dont see the session best sectors, I don't see really nothing. It's very annoying in a sim racing title.

So many years ago when R3R is released...
    But I'm litle angry when I see that iRacing come AI soon, rF2 will better and better, we get the ACC in this summer, and I hope that we hear more infos about Simbin's GTR3...

These are very good stuff, but I don't like to see what happened about R3R some way...

Sry for my bad english, but I wanted to write these things.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. AlexBlob

AlexBlob Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    Because making a new UI takes time and money, and will take resources away from other parts of the game, It's not S3 main priority I don't think, the UI is there and working but they have other things that need to be worked on right now. Its another one of these "wait and it will some soon"

• Like Like x 1
  3. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Interesting, my R3E was for free, I only pay for the content... ;)

But about your topic - all the UIs of the various racing games have the strong points and their weaknesses. Bottomline R3E has one of the better UIs for my personal taste. It isn't ultra modern, but it is intuitive and does it's job. For instance rF2, imho has one of the least intuitve UIs so far.
    About the HUD - one of the first things I switch off in my games is the HUD. I have an external SLI and all other information is cleary presented on the car's Motec displays. So I could not bother less ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    I voted satisfactory because it's nothing fancy and it could be prettier but it does the job and it's very intuitive.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Voted satisfactory too.
    Visuals: I like the clean and bright style, but I'm aware it's not everybodys preference.
    Mechanics: The UI has some good basic ideas, but in it's current state it also has too many flaws, it's just too cumbersome to not get annoying at some point. Testing WTCC liveries or any other class that sits on page 4 of the car selection is just a real pain f.e. ;)
    The HUD has some shortcomings, but overall I'm o.k. with it. Could be improved for sure tho, which will be happening at some point. As @AlexBlob already pointed out, UI development is a bottleneck, but there's plans and ideas for improvements in the long run.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Certainly don't love it, specially in VR. The bright side is that the data displays in a lot of cars these days makes the UI somewhat redundant anyway, and racing without it in VR is such an immersive and enjoyable experience.

I certainly wouldn't object to an overhaul of it though, ideally something as easy to personalize as ACs.

7. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Personally, I don’t miss anything. Driving in VR, the only HUD object I turned on is the positioning bar on top. That is what I’ve turned on in iRacing and AC too. Everything else breaks my immersion. All the infos I need are displayed on the cars display and for everything else I’ve got Crewchief. So for me there is no need in overhauling it and therefore I couldn’t vote...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Definitely weak. There are some aspects that really need to be improved, like right now. I couldn't believe that in a racing sim where everything is about times, there's no such a thing as... times. I mean, you are having a nice race, trying to keep the best pace you can and at the end of the session BOOM, main menu, nothing more. No statistics, no laptimes, just nothing. Come on, it's such an obvious thing it should've been added years ago, seriously. I know Sector 3 may not really be the one who plays cards in this game, but I still don't get Raceroom entertainment not telling (or rather allowing?) them to fix some basic issues.

The same goes with a multiplayer chat box. The floating chat in the game doesn't make the job at all

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Florian Wexxxx

Florian Wexxxx New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Its fascinating how many people think this game has an acceptable UI. (67% satisfactory or above)

Ok, lets say you join a server and during the session you want to know more about the server/game info.
    In the box you have a button called gameinfo - spielinfo. Click it, all you will ever see is how long the race session will last + track temps.
    What about server status, ping, the session times of practice/qualy (is it ghost mode?) and race (1 or 2 races/mandatory pit) ... is there a warm up? What about track rules, insta punishment for 1x track cut? (yes people want to know that) Maybe its possible for the server host to give more information, "advertise" a league that is currently running, how to report a player to admin, basic race rules that are expected from drivers on this particular server.
    At the moment you have to disconnect the server, click it again in the browser and read the rules, when you join again all your laptimes are gone too. Might as well remove the button in the menu. That stuff can be added with in a day, no idea why the devs make it so hard to acquire basic informations. Seriously open up rfactor1 or GTR2 and an look at the UI, now over 10 years later we have a lot less information and it makes a lot less sense ...
    What about the issue that chat is in the center top mid of the screen? Yellow is hard to read btw. Its basically the center of attention, you have to read all the dumb stuff people post sometimes (no option to disable it). So distracting at times, if i remeber correctly it also shows who join/leaves the server in the same color/position. The fun stuff happens later, other screen boxes get layed above the chat or even mirror. You or another driver gets an offtrack, you get a warning other messages appear above these ...
    Join a multiplayer race, sometimes track cut rules are very harsh so 5 people get penatlys at the same time. Watch these message boxes appear over the center mirror and chat for the next 30 sec. Good UI right?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    You can see these infos before joining a server. When I am on the server, why should I want to check it again?

Imho that is not part of the UI. The interface from my understanding is what the player uses to make selections, alter settings, etc. But you are right, the placement of the messageboxes is annoying.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  11. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Guess we all got your point after the first post, no need for repeating it 5 times ;)

So you say you don't race against the excellent AI, just because the game does not show you your best lap time after the race?!? I dare saying you don't care much about racing then, just about hunting for lap times...
    But yes, I too would like to see the best lap times after a race. Also I would not want the replay to stop immideately after crossing the line - makes screen recordings look stupid.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Florian Wexxxx

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Why is the race session time info posted under gameinfo at all, if we know this already by reading the server info before joining the server? The average driver probably doesn't recall all the info, imagine you drive for 10 min during practice and forget how long the qualy session is. You have to leave the server to check these informations, rejoin to lose all your times. Its standard in AC/pcar2/AMS atleast.

13. Florian Wexxxx

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    We can go on, lets talk about the mandatory pitstops in this game from the perspective of the average user.
    What is a mandatory pitstop, can you find this information in the game?

Does the game tell you, that you have to change atleast 2 tires? What is when you pit and only change fuel, do you know after you exit the pit that the action was "wrong"?
    Its possible that you get DQ from the race, does it tell you the exact reason so the driver can learn?

The game should detect that you never ran an event that required a pitstop, gives you information about the required steps you have to take, hotkeys you need to assign even ... thats not easy considering the UI. (thats like 5 clicks if you know all the menus)

The multiplayer browser info does not give the full information that you have to perform the mandatory pitstop in a certain time frame. It only says mandatory pitstop "on" but not between 10 -30 min.

At racedepartment we have to tell people every other day what you have to do, also remember when you needed a PHD for the entire pitstop procedure? (its easier now yeahh)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Totally agree here Florian. Though I rather blame this on the non existent manual than the UI. There were a lot of things that I discovered spread over various threads here by pure coincidence and thought "ahh that's how it works". Other games are more intuitve in this respect.

15. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Wohooo why so aggressive?
    First of all, I don't follow your posts, so no idea where you explained why you are unable to post your opinion in a single post like everyone else.
    Quite amazing how much you seem to hate this "rather simple racing game" with the "simple and stupid AI algoritms", "Adolf censorship" controlled forum and useless UI. Allow me one final question - why don't you simply stick to your beloved iRacing, if everything is so bad here?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  16. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    The UI is ok, it's no ground breaker, but I'm more interested in racing than watching numbers on the screen, it's not the worst UI either, rfactor 2 is just as close, they have a straight line for a track map..:p The only thing that most racing sims should have is a decent relative position box showing other drivers in front and behind also colour coded for different classes such as iracing/Pcars 2 use...dam did I say Pcars, that hurt..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  17. kendoslow

kendoslow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Yes, yes yes. Really need this for multiplayer multiclass races.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    The UI in the menus etc are just as clear as others (clearer than AC's for me, for sure :p ). The HUD ingame isn't the most informative in terms of times but a lot of people in the community use CrewChief to tell you the sector times of you or your opponents. I have it turned off completely anyway, all I need is crewchief / the car dashboard if it has one.. and if it doesn't have one it's most likely not that important (NSU TTS comes to mind)

A relative box would be nice though, to see when multiclass opponents are closing in/approaching.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    The saddest thing is, all these features won't be applied "soon". I wish Raceroom entertainment had more active players, employees and budget to be able to polish its sim in these basic areas instead of keep adding new content. As fixing old things won't bring any income (at least in short term), that's totally understandable. And the company needs that short term income in order to function

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    The way I see it, the main reason for the UI not being updated is that it wouldn't make much sense to change this or that feature or aspect incrementally. So if we get a new UI/HUD it will probably be a complete overhaul, which just takes much more time than piecing things onto the existing system.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1