Thoughts on new physics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SunnySunday, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    sonoma is a dusty track ?

just joking , ill run some tests and see if we can confirm it

Andi

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  2. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Lol. I was thinking more like ice.

Wtcc layout btw

3. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Based on what I felt and seen from the recent GT2, GT4, and WTCR 2018 cars, RR team are heading in the right direction. Glad to see real drivers involved in this project rather than the computer nerd developer who never seen the sunlight from his bedroom.
    I will ask a silly question...... How far are we from GTO, 1992 DTM, and Group 5 cars improvements if not a secret?

4. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Would like to think all tracks have different levels of grip simply by location and surrounding area before taking into account surface used, time of day and weather (ooops ;) )
    Physics conversations when talking games is a shitty subject, we all have hugely different expectations of how we expect a car to feel (many variations of the same theme). Add the controller variables into the mix and it gets really interesting ;) What feels good to me with my wheel and config may feel like shit to you with yours, the simple process of changing a rim on a fanatec base can totally transform how a game feels, the same using a modified controller profile, the variables are endless and unless we are all using Alexs contoller and config file we only really have our own setups to tell us how good or bad the game "feels" which probably in a lot of situations is a long way from how it is meant to feel, way too many variables, mostly the game feels good occasionally not, sometimes its my fault sometimes its the game, hey ho, first world problems :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    The problem with that, it might require lots of work and not sure if this is possible at this stage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I admire people who can drive FR-J because I am so bad with it .........spin in every corner unless I drive 20km/h

7. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Keep trying, its a stunner once you get the hang of it. 4 wheel drift through corners feels brilliant.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Do you mind me asking what pedals do you use in your sim rig? I've learned heal and toe technique on a set of HE Ultimates and it didnt take too long. Really enjoy it now. The brake pedal is very stiff and perfect for heal and toe. I could not do this with other pedals.

9. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    That's true for FFB... it's very subjective, but I think FFB and physics are not the same thing, even if they do overlap a lot.

I can adjust the FFB settings in rFactor 2 and Automobilista until they feel like mushy crap trough my wheel, but the underlying physics on those games will not change becouse I changed the FFB settings.

On the other hand, physics are all about real data, and that should not be subjective, since the laws of physics are not subjective either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    No argument here, physics dont change but the interpretation does, the only way we have to judge the physics in the game is by car behaviour and how that is relayed to the end user and it always comes back to the controller, its settings and car setup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. benoityip

benoityip Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Logitech g29, and it's plastic gear shift.. pedals are ok for me. It is the lack of feel that I give up on it. Real car is much more communicative to heal and toe

12. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    No offence taken what so ever and no need to apologise! It's great to ask these questions and bring up these topics, and I hope I can give assurance in my answers and explanations.

If you would like to upload some videos of you driving several cars I'd be very happy to look over them and give you a few pointers.

• Like Like x 1
  13. benoityip

benoityip Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    It is a characteristics for sonoma track. First two corners are very crucial. You need to choose a racing line that is more stable, took me a while. I use stock setup on gt2 BMW m3

14. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, that's it, hard to do with Logitech. A good set of pedals will allow you to enjoy heal toe.

15. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    Forgot to mention, but I've always wanted to see this car in Raceroom... and I guess you would like the opportunity to work on it as well...
    Just sayin' :D

16. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I understand that feeling but I’d reorder the words in your sentence to this...
    “the driver that has the best abilities fucks up the least!”
    ...and that’s racing

If you push your car beyond the limits of your cars setup or your limits as a driver.... you will fuck up...every time.

The best drivers know where that limit is and don’t push past it and hence don’t fuck up as much.

It’s why a fast driver will always be fast even if they are running in a race with fixed setups...they know the limit of the fixed set up

But a driver that has the best abilities also knows how to setup their car to increase the limit of the cars ability which will always make him even faster. A good setup could save up to a couple of seconds off a 2:30 track

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  17. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    As far as I am concerned, Any car is welcome as long as it feels right and communicative. Of course, it must sound incredible as it always does in Raceroom :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  18. dungbeetle

dungbeetle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    If you haven't already, try the FRJ around Knutstorp Ring. It's an amazing roller coaster ride.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. dungbeetle

dungbeetle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I'd certainly be interested to know which wheels/configurations are used in development and testing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. GrimeyDog

GrimeyDog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Have you looked at track temps and time of day between the 2 tracks??? That can make a huge difference in Grip...I also drive the AMG GT3 Merc with default set up.