Thrustmaster New Wheel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gopher04, May 29, 2016.

1. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    From bSim Racing:

"""""To find out what secrets the new Thrustmaster wheelbase might hold, the people of Gran Turismo’s biggest community website “GTPlanet“, have now popped the question to Polyphony Digital’s Kazunori Yamauchi. Surprisingly, Kazunori immediately confirmed that the new Thrustmaster wheel is indeed a ‘Direct Drive’ unit.

Kazunori answered – “I always felt with other wheels that something was wrong – that something was off. When we actually used the torque meter to measure the torque on those other steering wheels, there were some that had a high peak but would then drop off – they would only give the torque in spikes. So we went and redesigned it so that the torque delivery is linear.

Even when you play with the wheel for hours at a time, the torque delivery will remain stable.”
    """""

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    For me it looks like a "normal" direct drive Servo, too... And for sure - as Thrustmaster has more mass-market appeal than accuforce for example, they can buy the components a bit cheaper due to a bigger order... I wouldn't wonder if that wheel would replace the T500 sooner or later and isn't very much more expensive (in a package)

But well - it's all speculation for now. I guess we will get more information on that very soon in the upcoming game-conventions...

@pixeljetstream direct drive isn't so interesting because it hast so much torque but, it delivers it constantly. In addition is reacts much faster, more direct and the ffb is more detailed - especially effects during high steering-forces.

3. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    yes @m.bohlken that was my point, the other more expensive current directe drive wheels provide 2x/3x of torque compared to something like t300/t500. Hence me wondering if targeting for less peak torque can also lower the price. Or if torque and "precision" go along (no clue about electronics).

4. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Even if these 4 chrome dials look quite stylish, but overall the wheel looks too "gamey" for my liking. But this opinion certainly falls into the category of personal preference.:p

I wonder how much Nm this new wheel can squeeze out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Bee

Bee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Mmm...the only worry i have is the heat. The motor is covered and while there is some mesh on the side i expect fans to cool the motor. i have the T500 and this is my second base as the engine of the previous base burned to death while i always race with only 60% force. But i will keep an eye on this one.

6. skswat

skswat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    They send you new in a warranty or you had to pay?

7. Stonehard

Stonehard New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    What - are you still using the clamps? Use 2 x M6, and the servo is even more stabil that with the clamp

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Yes Thx man ;)

Im construct a new desk and when it's ready im fix that wheel on the desk.

9. Tarik Userli

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Warranty

10. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Dammit! I had to pay for my replacement clamp. :rolleyes:

I found it hard to tighten the clamp enough to keep the wheel from slightly sliding around at the edge of my desk. So I always had to tighten the screw so hard that one day the clamp just partially broke. It didn't break completely but the clamp lost its stiffness so it wasn't possible anymore to have the wheel tight on the table.

I also thought about using the screwholes but didn't want to have holes drilled through my desk. So I screwed a little square timber under the desk so that the clamp just reaches over it. This completely keeps the wheel from sliding without the need to extremely tighten the clamp.

11. Tarik Userli

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    My screw is damage, just a hint for you. Buy locktite

12. Stonehard

Stonehard New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    ? I Have had mine T500 F1 Integrale for prox 4 years now. Newer any problems

13. Stonehard

Stonehard New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    i have got some TM "T700" pricing - but i cannot show them yet. And i am not 100% shure they are real.
    The pricing I have is high...

14. Tarik Userli

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    what range we`re talking about?

15. Muca

Muca Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I would guess 800-1200 Euro. I think they will be on a similar price level as Fanatec. Direct drive wheel if it is good is a better choice than Fanatec's belt driven base

16. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    If the price is going to be set that high (over 1000€), TM should also rework at least the "QR" system, which is in no way a quick release, and not very well designed either (have had two T500 myself). A bit less plastic would not hurt either.
    Fanatec QR is a few levels up. Granted that is only important if you have different wheels (in my case I switch a lot between the Porsche 918 RSR and the Fomula Carbon).
    The new TM wheel is simply ugly too (but that may be personal).
    DD may be the way to go, but at that price, I'd save some more and go for a proven Accuforce DD wheel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Zinker73

Zinker73 Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    If the new DD Wheel from TM is going to be priced above a 1000€ then they are going to have trouble selling it. People either buy a Fanatec or the higher priced Accuforce. 800€ would be the right price get into the market, though i don't have much hope that this is going to happen.

18. Zinker73

Zinker73 Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Yes, that might be true ... but looking around in forums and the ratings at amazon i would say TM has either bad luck with some of thier manufacturers or with the companies that deliver thier parts. You either get something that works for years or something that needs the be repaired x times .... looks like a 50:50 to me.

19. Jazz Forsberg

Jazz Forsberg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    People tend to post when something goes wrong on their end or when they have had problems with specific hardware. People who doesn't have problems don't.
    I too read several threads about TM and its wheels problems. But I also read very good reviews. So I finally ended with a T300rs (as I had some Fanatec pedals around) and I couldn't be happier.

Happens with all kind of hardware (makes me think a lot about mobos and people saying ASUS never again, or Gyga, or MSI... ). Sometimes you get bad luck and sometimes its just plug and play.

20. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Araleeee...

just sayin... omg I loved watching Dr Slump (that's what the series was called in Germany).. :-D

BTT: If the TM DD Wheel will be priced over 800€ i would really go for a Fanatec instead, but at the moment I'm happy with the T300.

I agree that the new wheel is quite ugly and the QR system should be reworked, but IF it will have a new QR system my other rims won't fit anymore (if they're compatible at all).

But this year I'm not allowed to buy any more stuff for simracing :( when my dragon heard the price of the fanatec CSP v3 (after I bought it) she slightly went .... berserk .. :-D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1