Thrustmaster TH8A ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GregoryLeo, Oct 29, 2018.

1. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    So, I've flat worn out the shifter on my G27. Too many races with the legend class cars in this and other older games over the last 5 years.
    Thinking seriously about the Thrustmaster TH8A.
    Any thoughts on that? Pros and cons.
    It's really the only one in my limited budget. Or is it? that's another question.

Thanks in advance
    Gregoryleo

2. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    Hi GregoryLeo, my personal opinion:

+ relatively low price
    + modable (Ricmotech)
    + easily fixable
    + light weight
    + 7 Gears plus Reverse
    + standalone with USB possible

+/- long throw (Ricmotech or Noname options can change that)
    +/- choose between H-shifting and sequential shifting (necessary to screw/ no quickchange)
    +/- hardness adjustable (not really strong)

In that pricerange it's the best.
    There is no 100% realistic feeling, but it's good enough in my opinion.

If you want to change a lot between H- and sequential shifting then you should go with the fanatec shifter,
    there you can change it with one click, but it's a different pricerange already. Otherwise you can go for it.

Here is my pimped up Version ;D

IMG_20181030_001053.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    :laughing:
    Cool it’s got mostly good reviews on Amazon. But I wanted some info from people with more experience. That I can trust,,, sort of anyway:tonguewink:
    Thanks for the info. Much appreciated

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  4. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Hi @GregoryLeo I had one for a while. It was okay apart from the difficulty changing from H to Seq as mentioned above. It did however fail not long after the warranty period ended. Decided to bite the bullet and bought the Fanatec H shifter. (No Seq) I use the paddles for Seq shifting.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Barracuda318

Barracuda318 Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I replaced my G25 shifter with a TH8A I picked up for $100 and it was quite an improvement over Logitech, night and day,
    I only use it in H pattern, never it in sequential mode, like others paddle shifters work fine for me,
    while the Fanatec shifter looks to be a better choice, it was out of my price range at the moment at $199 perhaps in the future,
    with no potentiometers or mechanical switches to get dirty or break, only a magnet on a stick, and made nearly completely out of metal, it should last for a long time, and better yet, the only thing that fails in the TH8A is the small circuit board, and it is a $36 replacement part from Thrustmaster, so I can highly recommend getting one, I wasn't the least bit disappointed in mine

• Like Like x 1
  6. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    @Paul Darke
    Yah that was one of the things I was kinda wondering about. My first wheel was a thrustmaster and they were great with customer support. But it started having problems long before the warranty expired. So the question in my mind is. Has there product quality improved? There will always be a lemon or two in every thing. But how many and how often?
    @Barracuda318
    Yah at the moment $150 is a bit of a stretch for me. There's a few other things that have a higher priority to my wife:rolleyes:.
    And at the same time this is my sanity escape.o_O So I'm getting it for an early Christmas present.:D. Good to know the parts seem to be affordable.
    And as far as switching to inline shifting, I tend to play with each class for a couple of weeks and am good with my hands so no biggie.

7. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the help guys. I very much appreciate it. One last question. Sinse you guys have already dealt with this. Will the G27 still work if I disconnect the shifter?
    I had taken it apart to see if I could fix it at all. But with plastic parts and micro-circuits, not worth the effort. But the wheel wouldn’t work again until I had plugged everything back together.
    I guess I could cut it apart and mount the button pad to my rig somewhere if need be.

8. BreadedVirus

BreadedVirus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    It's a great shifter. Had mine for 2 years now and still like new.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Barracuda318

Barracuda318 Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    my G25 works fine with both the shifter and pedals unplugged
    I run the Logitech wheel, Fanatec pedal, and Thrustmaster shifter as three separate usb devices
    so far it has been working just fine, once I got it set up in each sim