Question Thrustmaster wheel data gathering

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by ravey1981, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I was becoming happier about this lately, because the issue only happened once or twice since I set steering rack to 0%, but now it's happening frequently again on the oval banking at Daytona.:( I also tested @ravey1981's latest custom profile, but it's present with that as well.

2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Yes I have flatspots enabled on that profile as my wheel is behaving itself. Just an update on all this, unfortunately no particular patterns have emerged from the data everyone has given. Still totally in the dark as to the root of the TM problems. Not good.

3. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    It's a relatively rare issue on my wheel as well, so I totally get it, but still, I can reproduce it from time to time and there are a few car/track combos which can trigger it quite often. In my case, it's not even the flatspot effect, that works fine. The latest example is WTCR-Daytona, when the car leaves the oval part after T7 or before T1. This increasing sudden lateral force starts to shake the wheel until I hit the reset FFB button.

4. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Yeah there's no denying it's there on some wheels, and it's reproducable, but there is no reason it should be happening. If it were a physics problem for example it would be there on all wheels. And then you have two seemingly identical wheels, one has the problem, the other doesn't. It's so very random that there isn't even a starting point in trying to fix it. Some people disable flatspots, others disable collisions, some delete usb devices..but then those fixes don't work for others.

There has got to be a key to this, and I hoped by collecting data I could find it, but if anything it's worse, as it just confirms how random it is. I don't know what to do next to be honest....

5. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    This appears to have gone to another level after today's update, well with the FRJ at Knutstorp in the comp, undriveable, FFB just turns the wheel willy, nilly. Going through the right hander, through the dip and it violently throws in opposite lock for no reason whatsoever, tried 10 times to put a lap in and when I did manage to pre-empt the FFB it gave me an invalid lap when going along the start/finish straight. :rolleyes: 10 laps and not one clean enough to qualify. That's a fair few months now these TM issues have ruined RR for me, that, along with the fps waywardness, 170fps today by the way, be 30-40 tomorrow, how can I possibly enter any race when I don't know if I'm in control of my wheel or RR or whether I'm smooth and slick or driving a slideshow, WTF is going on? :mad:

6. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Interesting, since the WTCR and the F4 got updated to the current suspension model, I'm no longer able to reproduce the issue I described before with either, even though it was particularly easy with the Tatuus earlier. I certainly hope it will stay this way.:)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  7. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    God damn, this issue ruined my league race yesterday as well. Motorland Aragon, all kerbs and astroturf, had to finish the second half of a race with my wheel shaking furiously.:confused:

In the meantime, TM has just released a new package (2021_TTRS_1, Driver version: 2.10.47.0, Firmware version: 32) for support of their new Ferrari wheel, I upgraded and see if it makes any difference, because it can't be any worse than the previous one.

@ravey1981 one question/suggestion though: I use RR almost exclusively in multiplayer and I never experienced this issue in single player. Could it be that it's some sort of netcode issue instead of FFB issue? Because basically every occasion I remember was in a middle of a tight battle, I never had it while practicing alone for example.

8. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Issue is both in Multiplayer and Singleplayer

9. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Yeah it's annoying and unfortunately it doesn't seem to be able to be fully fixed right now. There are some changes going on behind the scenes to the underlying code which hopefully will stop these TM problems for good. Just hang on in there for a while. Sorry that I can't help more, no real patterns were found to pinpoint the problem so it's back to building from scratch which takes a while.

10. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Defo both Single and multiplayer. If I set everything to zero, hitting a kerb still tries to break my wrists and multiple rogue usb devices are still being created every time this occurs. Maybe an upgrade to the new Fanatec DD wheel would work, all donations to PO Box 420! :D

11. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    But of course, I ended up spending ~90 minutes driving around Aragón exclusively on the green stuff, shaking the car as much as I can, locking the wheels at every possible opportunity and now it's nothing, works like a charm.:) Must be something I only do in multiplayer events, but I can't figure out what.

Btw, is the FFB frequency bound to the refresh rate like it was in rFactor/AMS1 originally, or it works independently in RR? I don't remember.:oops:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  12. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Racerooms physics refresh rate happens at a constant 400Hz. The FFB refresh, however is CPU load dependant. If I remember right, it's usually even higher than physics tick rate but in any case would stay above your graphics framerates.

Oli

• Informative Informative x 2