Time of day and impact on lap times

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tobias Münch, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Tobias Münch

Tobias Münch New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Im curious if the time of day has an impact on track performance? Is the cooler track temperature at sunrise/sunset simulated and impacts track performance. I just practice in sunset conditions and am not able to match my laptimes from noon time. My pase is roughly half a second off pace at Spa.

I drove more than an hour to adapt to the conditions but still... - not even close to noon lap times.

Any ideas?

Thx, regards, Tobias

2. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    According to what previously was stated in this forum it doesn´t have any effect at all, so it may just be coincidence. Maybe it is the better vision at noon?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    To the best of my knowledge, this is (still) the case. Track temperatures stay the same regardless of the time of day.

I would also assume that the different shadows might simply put you off a little bit. I can relate very much. ;)

4. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    There was a story about Jean Alesi crashing in a race. He was adamant that the car had a problem because he had braked at the same reference point every lap. What he had forgotten was that his reference point was a shadow on the track and that the sun was slowly setting.

• Funny Funny x 2