TIP: mklink use for changing simbin user folder (saving ssd space)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rik Fast, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Rik Fast

Rik Fast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    R3E uses default the [ user/my document/my games/simBin ] directory and for most users this will not be a problem. But many of us use SSD drives as a primary boot drive and the space on such drives are limited.

The simbin folder can grow extensively in size because of the many saved replays so it it would be nice if S3 could let us change the default location, but momentarily this is not possible. A solution is to use the windows mklink command.

Copy the SimBin folder to another harddrive
    Delete the simbin folder at the default location [ users/userx/my document/my games/simBin ]
    Open a command window ( cmd in windows ) and use the mklink command: mklink [[/d] | [/h] | [/j]] <Link> <Target>

Example

New simbin location: D:/SimBin
    Old location C:/users/UserX/My Documents/My Games/Simbin

Command would be:

mklink /j "C:/users/UserX/My Documents/My Games/Simbin" D:/SimBin

Now windows creates a virtual SimBin folder with the content of D:\SimBin (reference), R3E thinks everything is still on the same spot and workes 100% the same as before

Tens of GB saved on the precious SSD :)

Hopes this helps some who are in need of saving the gigabytes on the SSD

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  2. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
  3. Rik Fast

Rik Fast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    I know that but i don't want the whole my documents folder on another location, i want just the space hungry simbin folder. And for those who want that too this is the better solution :D