Question Tire temperature

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by higsy, Jan 30, 2018.

1. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I've been watching my tires temps for the front and they seem quite low and get the occasional notification from crew chief that temps are low.
    I'm driving gt3 (usually porsche) and on track after a few laps you would think temps would come up.
    Am I losing grip because of this and do I need to make setup adjustments etc..
    Happens at various tracks.. red bull. Hockenheim..nurburg.

I'm using pretty close to stock setup with no changes to camber.

2. Nir Tal

Nir Tal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    From my experience, the tire temps in R3E doesnt make any difference... so i just dont pay attention to it during races.
    I didnt feel any different when the left side got cold and right side got hot cause the track has more left turns than right turns.
    Amuse me to see drivers zigzaging on the quali outlap to "warm" the tires for the hotlap...there is no effect to it.
    The only thing that matters is if u are on the first lap (if its quali outlap or race first lap) or not. In the first lap their grip is always lower then the rest of the laps even tough their temp can be higher in the first lap as they were pre-heated.

3. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    The tires do heat up - I've been racing WTCC 17 at Knutstorp and by mid-race I'm getting lots of warnings from Sir Crew Chief that my fronts are too hot. He tells me they are over 100 degs while rears are in the 80s.

Having said that I have noticed no difference in performance but it may take greater skill levels than mine to do so (I tend to blame myself when I run off the road rather than the tyres... although it might be the tyres losing traction cos I'm struggling a bit on this very turny track).

4. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    if you have a bug to report in crew chief, please report it so it can be fixed, instead of making vague grumbling noises

• Like Like x 4
  5. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
  6. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    What are you talking about? Does it, or does it not work correctly?

7. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I'm still mystified. You're happy to use your time to hint at crew chief bugs but you're not happy to use your time to actually tell me what this bug might be, giving me the chance to investigate and fix it

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  8. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    I think overheated tires loose some grip - noticed it in GT3 race @ Sachsenring (which is only track on which i managed to overheat them). Don't see much difference if they're cold though (911 GT3 Cup)

9. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Bruno, I understand that above you were simply joking, but all this is really uncalled for. We are spending a lot of time to make sure everything is correct, helpful, not annyoing etc (although we're considering adding features where CC is saying incorrect stuff, for fun :)). So, comments about something being annoying without any information might be funny, but to us they are mostly irritating. Let's just move on here, enjoy CC if you do and don't if you don't like it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    What the hell is this? I spend an absolutely massive amount of my free time and energy making something that's as good as it can be, and give it away for free, and take requests for names and features, and update the app continuously improving and polishing. You use this app, yet are suggesting that I'm only pretending to be helpful.

Your attempts at "humour" are utterly pitiful. Humour is making people laugh. You're just being a dick.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Did someone just made it to the list?
    There should be some kind of troll badges on the forum so we know which posts we should avoid reading.

And on the topic. I noticed with gt3 cup that grip levels drop when tyres are cold or hot.

12. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    The Porsche is quite gentle to it's front tyres so they have a tendency to run a little cooler than the rears. Optimum is around 85, which is what they start off at. However if they drop down in the mid or even low 70s, you'll still have enough temperature for them to work well. The real problem comes when you get over temperature, then the grip starts to drop off much more dramatically.

13. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    @Alex Hodgkinson is there a list you could post with optimal temperatures for each car or car class ?

14. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    All GT3s and the Cayman: 85
    All others I believe are around 90

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the answer Alex and for getting back on topic. In gt3 cars I dip into the 60s on the front (rear is fine) as far as temps go. Would you suggest a setup change to increase overall temp?

16. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Well, it's a good indication of what's going off in terms of balance. Low temps at one end of the car would imply those tyres are being underused. If you're happy with the balance, you probably don't want to change anything and accept that front tyre wear is going to be quite low. If you want to raise the temps, try increasing camber and stiffening the front anti-roll bar at that end to work the tyres harder.

17. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    How much is the impact of hot and used tires to laptimes?

18. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Varies. Grip lost due to tyre wear with the GT3s should be equal to speed gained through fuel burn.
    Overheating tyres will cost you more time and cause you more problems than under-heated tyres. Wear increases and grip decreases as the heat builds, which causes more slipping and more heat generated, and so on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1