too much grip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by XXVI Sol, Apr 22, 2015.

1. XXVI Sol

XXVI Sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I enjoy this game's totally engaging driving model,still there is one thing that could make it even more fun and realistic.
    In my opinion some cars should break traction much easier when accelerating and when braking hard,it is unrealistic to fully press the gas pedal with 1st 2nd gear on the exit of a turn and driving wheels stay bolted on the road.
    This doesnt apply to all cars most feel proper ,like the gt3s the gt2s(after update) the silhouettes,the g5,the wtcc,the dtm
    the ones that i think are overly friendly are the gt1,dtm92,classic touring,the m1 and all the prototypes

• Disagree Disagree x 6
  2. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Except for DTM92 you're talking about old content that still doesn't has been updated to the new physics model (maybe the M1 is, but not sur about this).

About DTM92, I don't feel the same as you, but it may depends of the car you drive, some can handle better than other.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Richard Powell

Richard Powell Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Are you on 'get real driving' model? Cause every time I put my foot flat on a corner exit those DTM '92 cars get very loose.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    Too much grip ?

I don´t think so.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. XXVI Sol

XXVI Sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I drive on get real and have differential power very low 10-20%,still,for the cars i mentioned, its very hard to start a drift or spin out even if I try.To me it feels like get real has low abs and low tc

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    Some classes have abs and some not. You can be sure that the tcs if off if you set the used preset to 0.

7. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Watch out: for cars that have TC you may set it into the car setup.
    By default some TC setups are high even on the lowest level (it can be around 50% on level 1).

The first thing I do when I need to do a new setup for a car with TC is to set the 1st level to 0%, (and +10% for each level above). I never need more than 30 or 40% of TC.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mike Demers

Mike Demers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    it will be hard at those diff levels to get it drifting. its almost an open axle at those settings. Try the M1 on one of the competitions running now , I think the diff is set at 100% by default and that car is basically a drift car.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    You could also try locking the diff on power, going very high on the rear camber (is that right?) and generally making the rear suspension stiff (or is it soft? :confused:), that should make breaking traction on the rear end much easier (drifting easier).

• Like Like x 1
  10. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Some prefer their dtm 92 to be more like their woman "very loose" ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Good god, I would do anything to have more grip...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    only old content has problems with too much grip but my 92 dtm bmw definitely doesn't have too much grip.

13. Richard Powell

Richard Powell Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    If the DTM 92 cars were women:-

1) Mercedes 190 Evo:- Take her to fancy parties and she makes you look good, she's an elegant lady of fine manners but somewhat of a cold fish.

2) BMW M3 Evo:- Mercedes younger and naughtier sister. Bangs like a dunny door.

3) Mustang:- This 'lady' has bigger biceps than you, she can chop wood and scare away debt collectors with ease. Lots of fun in a 'tie you down and hurt you' kinda way.

4) Opel:- "No-one ever looks at me". Always the one left without a partner at a dance. Willing but socially inept.

5) Audi:- More fun than a barrel of monkeys, she's a real party girl. She's also a real bunny boiler (remember 'fatal attraction'?). Forget your anniversary and she'll cut off your penis while you sleep and put it in a jar on the mantlepiece.

• Funny Funny x 16
    • Winner Winner x 3
  14. GroovyMotion

GroovyMotion Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Too much grip? Tell that to the drunken DTM 92 'Stang AI's that think that their rear tires are powered by KY! o_O:D

15. Birddogg66

Birddogg66 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think a lot of Hardcore Sim Racers put too much emphasis on the desire to have as little of grip as possible. I am one to think it's a fine line and it's all about how grip retention presents itself and grip loss prevents itself. Technically in any scenario the equation in RL is an exact science for one group of variables to the next where the rubber meets the road equations. Where in RL the different elements can be proofed while the virtual has a large margin for error. I am not one to say make things over grippy or over slidey but to find realistic balance with real challenge. How hard the car can be driven has the most to do with immersion with enough grip loss to keep it honest without WTF grip loss situation in any type of real abundance.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. yusupov

yusupov Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    did anyone read OPs post??

"This doesnt apply to all cars most feel proper ,like the gt3s the gt2s(after update) the silhouettes,the g5,the wtcc,the dtm
    the ones that i think are overly friendly are the gt1,dtm92,classic touring,the m1 and all the prototypes"

17. yusupov

yusupov Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    oh ok i just noticed dtm92 was in the latter category...OP is on drugs afterall nvm :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    If you have too much grip, or you find it too easy..

You're not going fast enough.

• Agree Agree x 6
  19. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Tell that a Simrookie and he will punch you right in the face o_O
    Seriously, guess the experienced ones who are doing this for a long time forget about their beginnings.
    Like an answer to this at DTM 14 where I just joined a race at Spielberg (horrible btw.) one driver managed to spin his Merc right at start which I actually consider as absolutely impossible :)
    But 15 Yrs ago that would have been my standard procedure as well...:D

• Like Like x 3
  20. Öberg

Öberg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    I dont agree at all, my problem usually is getting all the power/brakeforce down without breaking traction ^^

GT1?!?? That Saleen S7 doesnt get loose for you? I have vivid memories of trying to ice-skate it around raceroom raceway..
    DTM92 is no problems what so ever to get the back end loose, specially with stiffer car settings.
    Classic Touring BWM E30 is straight nuts too.

Ofc all this is just subjective opinion so its pointless to discuss really.

• Agree Agree x 1