Problem Track limit inconsistencies

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Nico Kunze, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    The track limits on (the inside of) the penultimate corner are very strict.

This got my lap invalidated but by r3es normal definition of track limits i was nowhere near going off track. So is it supposed to be like this or is this unintended?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    there are so many like that ,and many more less strict, for me its an off track ,
    was your lap invalidated or as it just off track points ?

Andi

3. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Both.
    In real life itd be an off track for me as well (boy would i have been mad if verstappen had gotten to keep his 3rd place in austin in 2017 :D) but r3e considers curbs as part of the track and usually is very consistent with that (although i mostly pay attention to it on exits as there arent many corners where id use the inside curb that much anyways)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    There are quite a lot of corners in the game where the inside kerb doesn't count as part of the track. When the inside kerb is considered to be part of the track, there usually is grass next to the kerb anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Hm not yet 100% convinced but i guess ill have to pay some more attention to it :D

6. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Changed the thread to a collection of instances where i believe my lap shouldve been valid but wasnt in the hope of them possibly being fixed :D
    Next one is in the chicane on mantorp park

This one got my lap invalidated and this time i didnt even cross the white line so it definitely shouldve been legal

• Creative Creative x 1
  7. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I don't think either of your clips have any chance of being valid. Both clearly cutting the corner. The track is the bit between the white lines by the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    In real life that is. And as long as you still have two wheels inside/on the white line youre considered to still be on the track hence the second clip shouldnt even be debatable imo.
    For the first clip to be legal one has to apply racerooms definition of track limits where curbs still are considered part of the track and you are still considered to be on the track as long as you still have two wheels on the curb. I could give you dozens (if not more) of examples of that logic being consistently applied in r3e on corner exits and after thinking about it a bit more after majuhs response a couple weeks ago i can certainly give you more examples of that rule being applied on inside curbs than the two examples i found where it isnt applied. So im still convinced that in r3e both should be legal :D

9. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I agree there are consistency problems. I'd like the track limits to be much more strict so that cuts like you have above are definitely not allowed. The game should be brought more in line with real world rules....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3dIAkY_MR7MCcYJRP3NBUw

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Will agree that r3e is very generous regarding what they define as the track and that a closer to real life approach would be preferable (if done consistently).
    But you seem to have found the strictest real life rules that i have yet to see applied anywhere in real life (although given that its by a uk association it might be used in btcc or british gt, both of which i dont watch).
    For f1 this is how its officially defined and how i know it for pretty much everything i watch (f1, f2, indycar, super formula, super gt, dtm, blancpain, adac gt masters, intercontinental gt challenge, vln, wec, imsa, motogp and more :D)
    These rules would make all the pictures in your document legal

Attached Files:

11. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    I also think that the track limits at the Mantorp chicane are a bit too strict. That chicane annoyed me quite a few times in past competitions.

The MSA track limits are completely unrealistic. The truth is that no major motorsport championship gives a shit about track limits in general. The DTM cars are permanently cutting the track by this definition.

12. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Just to back that claim up i went and tried some tracks this afternoon and the results seem to confirm that my examples of dubai and mantorp are exceptions/bugs.

All those were valid (as they should be based on racerooms definition of track limits) and it wouldve been easy to find plenty more whereas i didnt come across any other dubai/mantorp instances

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    The Nürburgring and Zolder chicanes invalidate your lap when you do that at the second apex of the chicane. It's also like that on RaceRoom Raceway.

14. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Guess ill have to have a look at that :D
    Although on the nürburgring lap i was quite extreme on the second apex already, just not 100% over the white line.
    Do you mean the first chicane on raceroom raceway?

15. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Zolder and raceroom raceway took a few attempts but are both definitely possible

Nürburgring however is another exception that ill add to this thread

Nowhere near going off the curb with my two inside wheels but the lap was invalidated anyways

16. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    I've had laps like that invalidated in the chicane on RaceRoom Raceway. Maybe it's not related to the position of the inner wheels, but to the position of the outer wheels instead.

17. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Gotta give you that i too feel like the track limits are a little strict there when driving normally but then never actually went to look at the replay to confirm that. But going into chase cam for this one to make sure i place the car right i managed to get a valid run through there

18. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Well guess im back complaining about the inside of the penultimate corner in dubai. This time already hardly using the kerb and still got the lap invalidated. This bug/inconsistency completely changes the character of the corner (and not in a good way :D)

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  19. bubblejohns

bubblejohns Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    usually id say that they're too lenient and should be tightened to 2 wheels inside the white line at all times, but with all the cars, that's a huge task to work out, and lets be honest, wont happen. but dubai is a known issue thats objectively wrong, depending on the car you can be invalidated without touching it at all, think it was the gt1 that was doing that.

20. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Which layout of the circuit is that? There are 4 to choose from.