TrackIR makes it harder to drive...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mtbiker70, Feb 22, 2016.

1. mtbiker70

mtbiker70 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone -- I've been messing around in RRE for a few month now and I think I have about 25 hours or so in-sim. I'm driving with a Fanatec CSR Forza wheel behind a 32" tv (second monitor) getting pushed by an i7 core 2.95ghz and a HD7770. If I keep the AI below 16 and most of the settings on medium (a few set to high), racing is very playable....matter of fact, it's damn fun. To be honest, one of the best sims I've raced. Anyway, I am also a long time flight simmer and decided to try using my TrackIR 5 with RRE. I can't drive worth a darn using the TrackIR. I messed around with some custom settings in the TrackIR software, etc, I can't even finish on the lead lap anymore. Switch that baby off and I'm back in the top 5 again. Does anyone else use TrackIR and if so, how do you use it? Maybe it would work better with a multimonitor setup, but behind just a larger TV screen, it's very difficult to be competitive.

Any information anyone would be willing to share? Fantastic racing sim btw.

Dondo

2. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    I do...I find it helpful for single monitor.

Maybe post your trackir settings.

3. mtbiker70

mtbiker70 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Not sure if I'm doing this right. But here are the settings I was using when I decided that my finishing position was more important than using all my sim stuff... :)

I'm using a profile called Driving_Smooth. I don't remember if it was one that I downloaded or a default setting.

4. mtbiker70

mtbiker70 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Lets try it again.... TrackIR_Dondo.jpg

5. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Like you I am a convinced user of TrackIR in flightsims. But I do not see it as a must in racing.

First, try with adding a neutral zone, where mild movements of your head around the zero-point will not move the picture on the screen. You add stability that way.

Second, do not think you want settings that allow you to pan around freely. You want instead settings that are like pressing a key: a quick glance to the left or right side, to look into the side mirror or to see whether somebody is beside you, and then immediately looking straight forward again. Else oyu run the risk of suffering from a special form of disorientation that is unique for using trackIR in racing sims, and which can easily make you adding steering wheel corrections that are not needed and will get you crashed. I found anything else not working good in racing sims with trackIR.

Third, in principle you can have the above described functionality by coding two commands on two buttons of your wheel instead, look "left" and"right". That'S what I ended up with. I do not use trackIR in racing sims anymore.

6. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Agreed Skybird - so Sector 3 please give us look-to-apex finally - its the most simple solution....:p:mad:

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    I agree with the OP, but for me it isn't the R3E. For flight and space sims, TrackIR is as must as my triples. But for some reason with any of the racing sims I have, I just can't get accustomed to head tracking. It is strange as it feels so natural when flying, but it is just the opposite with cars. Horrible :confused:

I have triples, so I get enough FOV thankfully, but I'd still like to get used to TIR too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I use it. The trick is to give yourself a decent deadzone, so that it only looks around when you deliberately look left or right. You can also turn all other axises (Axi?) off - no need to look at the roof, but i find as long as I build in a nice deadzone to keep it looking straight unless i want to look around, then it works well.

Also, you just get used to it with time. In ETS2 and ATS, i use a more sensitive profile, and it doesn't bother me at all anymore looking all over the place while driving. At first i used to get a stiff neck trying to keep my neck straight

Edit: @The_Grunt Yup it's worth it - I find that trackIR still provides enrichment even with triples, depending on the game - again i reference ETS2 - i use both triples and trackIR with it and love using both together, i imagine flight sims would be similar.

Another Edit: I should mention i don't feel like trackIR makes me a better racer in any way, i just like the immersion factor. Well, when running single monitor it helps in passing situations.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  9. DawdlingDan

DawdlingDan New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I don't like to use Trackir in any racing games other than Dirt Rally, feels nice in that. Oh, and Euro Truck.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rik Fast

Rik Fast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    I use Track-IR with mostly the horizontal axes and a gradual lesser deadzone from center. Only slight tilt/vertical/roll axis. I love it! I drive not necessary faster but more consistent because i can better focus on the apex in the far, even if the cars angle is not optimal for the next corner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    I use TrackIR with default settings and it feels far better than for instance pCARS on the console without head tracking. I can focus on the apex and during the race I can glance left or right to see where my opponents are. I would not want to miss TrackIR anymore.

12. Adrian Mark Knotts

Adrian Mark Knotts New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is it possible for someone to post there settings for the Yaw, Pitch X and Y for F1 style seated position please, Thanks

13. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Do I get it right that TrackIR also tracks your head position and moves your in-game camera (x, y, z)? For some reasons I thought it's only for turning your head/camera.

Also, maybe a bit strange question. Does it work in outside views (chase cam, bonnet cam, etc.) too or it's only for cockpit view?

14. olli green

olli green Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I can totally agree here!

First, I also had massive problems with TrackIR, especially when cornering, but then I tried and set some deadzones and switched off some axis... Now it works absolutely perfect for me together with a 49" samsung ultrawide curved.

15. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Depends on the version. TrackIR5 is 6DOF, earlier version were only 3DOF IIRC.

Depends on the game. Not all sims have their exterior cams moveable.
    Besides, driving with TrackIR (or VR) in e.g. bonnet-cam is......Well, not recommended. o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Does it in RaceRoom?

Why? I'm not interested in replicating real world experience, for example.

17. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    At least some of the cameras in R3E are moveable. Bonnet-cam is 3DOF (so it can rotate, but not move).

As to why it's not a good idea......
    Well, I've only tried it in VR, but I suspect the TrackIR results would be similar.
    And it's just odd. Bonnet-cam in VR is like having your head as some sort of weird hood-ornament, while you're still driving as normal. All of your senses are screaming at you that something is horribly wrong.
    Might be possible with TrackIR, but in VR it is downright vomit-inducing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Well, in this thread people advise exactly against that - against using TrackIR as VR. And instead say to turn off everything except yaw axis and add a huge deadzone to it so that TrackIR only jumps in when you really need it.