Triple Monitor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lino Carreira, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Lino Carreira

Lino Carreira Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Kinda sick and tired of seeing a stretched image on the side monitors, is this that really hard to implement ?

• Agree Agree x 8
  2. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    It`s more important to add new content ^^

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    It's not hard, but retro fitting a renderer designed for a single projection is work. Where you had just a single image before, you now have three… which if not done well adds a lot more cpu cost as well. Once they go dx11 all that can be cleaned up and using hardware features to keep it efficient.

4. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I find that using a lower FOV (.5-.6) really helps to reduce the stretched image effect. It's not as good as proper triple screen support, but it helps a lot and I hardly notice it now.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. RRCRoady

RRCRoady New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    @Sector 3
    Any news about triple screen support? A racing simulation without real triple screen support in 2015... thats a no go ;)
    Please let us know, if and when you plan to implement this feature.

Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    It's not just R3E...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. uodyne

uodyne New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    R3E love (I have purchased most of the content), but since I have 3 monitors, use only RF2, AC, iRacing. If it is categorized as a simulator, you must have support for multiple screens.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I wonder when triple screen turned out as synonym to simulator? :p

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Many of us run triples, the distortion doesn't really bug me unless i'm focusing on it. Would be nice to see it fixed but that's about the extent of my worry on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Same here. By using a FOV of .06 and scooting the seat back about half way it seems to really reduce the warping/enlarging and I barely even notice it. Yeah, I really hope they introduce proper triple screen support soon, but I'm not going to let it stop me from enjoying everything else on offer.

You could also argue that even though AC has proper triple screen support, it isn't a simulator as it's missing many necessary features, has not-so-good AI, a lackluster offline mode, and the track environments are sterile and boring. But that doesn't mean we can't enjoy the good things it offers.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I'm not spending anymore money on sims that do not support triple screens properly.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Alex Bonner

Alex Bonner Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Isn't the stretching just part of having 3 screens? I have always had it in all games and just accepted it as the norm.

13. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    It is unless the game has proper support to render 3 screens separately as their own perspective. If it's all based on the center perspective (like most games without proper support), everything on the side screens gets streched out.

14. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    No. In older games like GTR I think it was normal. But in newer ones like AC and iRacing there is a menu where you can put in your screen size, screen angle, distance from driver's eyes to screen, bezel width, which lets you adjust everything and get the perfect perspective without any stretching/skewing/warping. S3S have said in the past that they plan to introduce this to R3E at some point, but I haven't seen it mentioned in a while.

15. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Good point. The more i think about it, I can understand the guy who has the fantastic simulator rig, trying to get everything perfectly realistic, who might be put off by lack of proper support. It's a shame he'll miss the great gameplay like you mentioned, but part of the hobby for some is trying to make a totally realistic experience with their setup, so I imagine the warped screens could be bothersome in that case. For me, i still need alot more upgrades to my cockpit before that ruins it! Still, when they fixed it in ETS2, i was pretty impressed with the difference.

16. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Yep, nothing wrong with their opinion and I used to be bothered by the warped screens too until I figured out how to minimize it. There will always be sacrifices when it comes to realism in a sim rig, personally I'm quite happy to make this sacrifice in order to enjoy all the great things that R3E does offer. That being said, I still look forward to the day I won't have to make that sacrifice anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. uodyne

uodyne New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    True. pCARS, Burnout Paradise, NFS,...

LFS (c) 2003-2015 (not DX11) ;)

But if most users (with 3 monitors, of course) it seems good so it's no problem for Sector3.

// Procar and GT3 tested, I love it!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  18. Paulinho Boni

Paulinho Boni New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Agree!!
    And about create our skins? It's very important to live broadcast...

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. RRCRoady

RRCRoady New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hm... we are talking about simulations ;)

20. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I think that's the point he was trying to make, that regardless of how accurate the physics or sounds or setups or tire model or graphics are, the true measure of whether it's a sim or not is solely decided by how it renders on three screens. And since R3E doesn't render three screens separately then it has to be lumped in with crappy games like NFS and Burnout. o_O

But, if you only play it on one screen, then it's a full-on sim! Makes sense, yes? ;)

/sarcasm

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015