Bug Triple Screen: Setting Low FOV causes cones to disappear

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by MattStone, Jan 19, 2019.

1. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I've noticed recently objects popping in and off the screen even tho I've got the improved object culling option set to 1
    Here are my launch options
    -triScr 70 1 52.7 29.5 1.9 52.7 29.5 1.9 48 52.7 29.5 1.9 48 1

Now if I launch the game with a 0 at the end or with no number at the end the objects still cull at the same point on the screen!
    The objects appear/vanish around about the middle of my two outside monitors

I'm not 100% sure when this started happening but I think it was with the December update

Any suggestions to get that option working again or is this a new bug?

2. Der Kiebitz

Der Kiebitz Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    I have still no problem with this option after the patch with my triple.
    But I had this problem one time, because I forgot to enter this lauch-options additional in SRS.
    So it is important that you have this entered in all "lauchers" you have in use for the game.
    Do you use such?

3. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I just open r3e via steam icon
    I’ve entered the launch options by right clicking the stream icon; selecting properties etc etc. Same place i’ve always entered it!

I’m not at that pc at the moment but next time I game I’ll adjust the other parameters like the screen height and see if that change is picked up. If that doesn’t work it means r3e is now grabbing those parameters from somewhere else but in saying that the other parameters are displayed the same as it always has since I set it up about 3 months ago..mmm

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  4. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    UPDATE...
    To make sure it was actually reading those parameters I set the the screen height to a extreme value and started the game and it certainly changed the view in game.

It's just the object culling switch that isn't working

Just to be sure to be sure; maybe my expectations are wrong but if I use Stowe circuit as an example; The cones vanish about in the middle of my outside monitors

5. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Ok a bit more testing and I have discovered this.....
    I'm not sure if the cones are controlled by the object culling switch...I would love some confirmation of this as this is what I was basing my whole problem on!

What I did notice is that if you lower the FOV to .5 the cones vanish in the centre of my outside monitors.
    If I set the FOV to 1 the cones only vanish just before the go off screen.
    So the lower the FOV the sooner the cones disappear on screen

So this raises two questions
    1. Are the cones controlled by the object culling switch (they are definitely not affected on my system!)
    2. Why do the cones disappear as I lower the FOV...is this a bug or a problem my end???

6. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Because they are disappearing at a set point which is not connected to FoV. If you were to set your FoV higher than 1 (if it was possible) then you wouldn't see them disappear at all, because that point would be out of view. If you set it lower than 0.5 the cones will disappear "sooner" because that point in your view is closer to the centre.

7. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I've changed the title of this thread as the culling switch is working

I wonder why they would they do this? It's strange then that the developers don't set a vanishing point for the cones where you can use the 0.5 without having them disappear.

What you are saying is what is happening for sure but I'm not sure I understand. So pardon my ignorance but doesn't it mean that when reducing the FOV means you are bringing the scene closer; so you move forward of the vanishing point of the cones when it's set to 1? eg I can see 8 cones at an FOV of 1 but when I reduce the FOV I now should only see 7 cones!

I would think that most gamers; especially if they are using triple displays; would use an FOV lower then 1.
    Even when I was just using a single monitor I'd always have the FOV set at 0.7

So is there a way that I can edit a config file or something where I can change the disappearing point of the cones?
    It just looks so bad and spoils the whole illusion

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019