Triple Screen Support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lino Carreira, May 10, 2017.

1. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I'm pretty sure I read it several times though, a quick search brought me to a triple screen topic where @Georg Ortner wrote this (january 2015):

It being a "low priority" doesn't mean we think it's not important.
    It simply means there are a few things on our to-do list that are even more important.

Rest assured that we hear your feedback and wishes.
    But we can´t grant all of them at the same time.

I think that you will agree, that R3E has moved into the right direction over the past months.
    Please keep being patient, and i´m sure you won´t be disappointed. :)

----------

Close enough for me.
    If it is true that the actual R3E engine can't support triples, why not telling us that ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    VR was a Raceroom request and implemented so quickly the "Soon™" tag was not required.(There's a first time for everything :eek:)
    I know S3's Dx9 engine has been customised to within an inch of its life but triple screen support is possible, Dev's have told us so on more than one occasion, so no cop out there i'm afraid. :rolleyes:
    Imo without getting the word from Raceroom, regarding the necessity for TSS among their Inuit community, we will all have to wait 12 months plus for the migration to U4 and its native ability to fully support Triples with minimal work. (why do the job twice)
    No chance of remembering the results of the Triple Screen poll conducted a while back (no chance of remembering what I ate for Breakfast, did I eat Breakfast? :confused:) but I'm confident there are a lot of Multi screen users out there that don't get the full benefit of their rigs in Raceroom and what a shame that is, :( now if I was a Dev, I'd be miserable, unable to sleep at the thought of many users being unable to view the full potential of their wares, due to the omission of something so small and trivial, that it warrants the team to abandon their intended weekend jaunts and pastimes, knuckle down as one and knock out TTS by Monday!

:D:D:D:D:D:D Middle of next year at the earliest, move along, nothing to see here! :(

• Like Like x 3
  3. switchface

switchface Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for replying.

When you say it seems pretty straightforward, does this mean it would be relatively easy to add if the devs were able to spend some time on it? If so, I think I speak for many when I say this is a high priority for me, so if its a relatively straightforward addition, I'd love to see it happen. I have triple 46" projector screens and right now my side mirror is about the size of a volleyball!

4. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Add me to the list of folks that really want to see triple screen support. It's an absolute must for competitive play online and I'm puzzled why it hasn't been implemented with even basic locked 45 degree angles much less full adjustability. Come on Sector3. Do this please!

5. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    That's my sense of it. Though one lesson I've learned in software development is that even something that seems to be easy can end up being a complicated mess.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. switchface

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Yup, I'm in the same industry, so I'm with ya there! I know for us, some changes that are easy might not be implemented if they are too low on the priority scale and our queue is full with more important items.

We appreciate your candor - I just wanted to (re)convey that this *is* important to many of us, so if this could be an easier fix, we'd love to have it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Adding it is likely not a problem, they already got the logistics for multiple eyes for VR.
    However getting it to run well, when VR is already at the edge CPU wise, is the bigger work.
    As well as exposing setup UI etc. (Don't have the nice in-game apps as AC).

It's always the proper support and fulfilling expectations that costs in the end. That's why you may not start on that task unless you know you can go all the way (budgeting/priorities etc.)

Looking at flags, we finally got them but it takes tweaking to get better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    VR support brought new customers to this game. Adding triple screen support isn't "content" that we would have to pay for and that is why it is less important. But this calculation is wrong because triple screen users like me would start to buy new content again. I think the money from former customers is as good as the money from new customers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Kitsune Magyar

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    Without going into too much detail, if we put someone to work on triple screen we also need to consider what we lose by not having them work on something else. The benefits of one thing comes at the cost of not doing something else during that time. It's not that triple screen isn't important, it's that we also have a handful of other important things that we would love to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Well, that ship has sailed for me, since I bought all content, confident - a bit naive maybe - triple screen support would be implemented. By now I have serious doubts about that.
    Being able to play offline was also promised two years ago and guess what...
    Please don't take this personal, especially since you are the guy trying to answer and therefor well...look at your signature ;)
    But I need to say that lacking this support is really frustrating. In my mind it should have been implemented BEFORE VR ever was...
    I know, it's new and WOW and it probably (surely) means €€€, while the other is "only" a service to existing customers.
    But R3E is at this moment my most expensive sim (by far) and it is lacking a lot, sadly, therefor not being the best in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Kitsune Magyar

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    Believe me, I understand. I'm a gamer too. :D I'll mention it but as I said, we also have other things we want to add that a lot of people want.

• Like Like x 5
  12. switchface

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Once again Kitsune, we appreciate you listening and being involved in this discussion. I love that about S3.

You are correct, there is an opportunity cost to everything. Does it make sense to put up a poll for users to vote on or does that only open up a shitstorm? For example, if triple screen is down the priority list because the developer is instead working on a new camera reply angle and a new flag animation for the crowd, I'd obviously vote for triple screen (I'm sure thats not the A/B, but you get my point).

13. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    This has already happened.
    Nearly one third of participants uses triple screen and would like to see these improvements.
    But VR flushes it all away.
    I think we really have to wait for Unreal Engine, to get triple support at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Polls on forum imo is not representative. The market pressure for VR was greater than for tipples. The workaround is that you use realistic fov and don't angle the monitors so much.
    I also recall they fixed HUD for tripples so elements stay on center screen. So it's not like they completely ignore it.

As for fun/money that is always highly subjective. Enjoy life, don't question every dollar spent. The sums here are not that huge compared to cost of living etc.

I disagree about you saying they broke promises, imo they didn't say they would deliver x by y. That said I sometimes wished they just collectively quit their jobs and got hired by the more independent/financial enabled teams ;) to get out of the priority trap. Then again this is the only title with strong focus on mostly official racing series/content... That comes with a price I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Agree

Disagree. That is not a valid workaround. If you are familiar with triple screens in other sims, you would know that.

I don't see what they had to fix for that ? It's not like the complete one screen image is stretched over three monitors... It is exactly as in pCars, where the HUD elements can't be moved over to one of the side screens, they all are on the middle one.

You are partly right, they never said they would deliver x by y, but that they would deliver x as soon as other things on the "whish list" were done. Some of them two years ago...come on...

I don't question every Euro spend, if I would, I had not bought all content and I would not have 5 sims with all their DLC. The amounts spend on software are marginal compared to the hardware costs. But at a certain point I do expect something in return.

Maybe (surely) not the place to discuss here in this topic, but I just noticed (have not bought it yet) an AC DLC with 10 (ten) race cars for around 8 € (inluding all liveries), it comes with a huge update with several new elements, higly improved AI, wind etc... Note that I am far from being a AC fan, but it is worth noting...

I might add that I do appreciate you elaborating on your disagreement ;) while there is another member who seemingly disagrees with a lot of my posts, but seems to lack social skills, or at least fails to point out where he disagrees (though the content are all facts)

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  16. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I remember that comment, it was Sonat who talked about it and he said that they are looking for ways to have some kind of offline usability. As far as I'm aware nobody ever said that there would definitely be an offline mode at some point, simply because they cannot make such promises. After all they don't have the final say on what gets implemented and what doesn't.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  17. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Which might be the biggest issue...

18. DreamsKnight

DreamsKnight Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
  19. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    That's obvious.
    But polls are fun and can give a hint to the devs.;)

20. switchface

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    My screens are fixed at their angles so that workaround does not work for me.

In regards to the HUD, I like the new HUD improvements, I just wish I could drag them and move them to my liking (like in AC - which I hate btw). There are a number of cars that I need to zoom in the view a lot, remove the on screen hands/wheel, but then I can't see the gauges. Being able to drag the HUD somewhere would eliminate this issue....but again, its only an issue because I can't get the right look due to triples not looking right.

• Agree Agree x 1