Triple Screen Support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lino Carreira, May 10, 2017.

1. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    ...true, but also not an issue exclusive to S3S. I think the majority of developers are not the producer/publisher of the product they are working on, and as sad as that might be from a certain pov, the party financing an enterprise will always be the one calling the shots at the end of the day. Nothing extraordinary going on in that regard, just maybe the fact that they are more open about that relationship than other devs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    @Fanapryde I do play AC, so I know how well tripples can be done. My workaround statement was in context of VR. VR actually needed the work to work at all, while tripples are usable to a degree.
    Having the game since a long time, it's extremely frustrating how slow development pace is. But I don't think the team can do much, other than cutting ties completely and take the risk that comes along. I think they somewhat attempt that with simbin a bit. But who knows what comes out of that. It's good that there is more healthy competition.

@Christian Göpfert the situation in Sim racing seems reversed. I think many of the companies largely operate independent. AC and pcars got publisher support in end, but before that operated alone, think iRacing rfactor2 and ams are also on their own. But I may be wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
  3. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Ah, thanks for explaining. I see what you mean now. I can agree to that.
    Yes you can use triples, but it looks (and even feels) horrible, just the same as in pCars.

4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    SMS went the crowd funding route for PCars, which gives independence but puts a whole other set of restrictions on them I'd think. But we shouldn't forget that before starting work on PCars they created NfS Shift and Shift 2, both published by EA, and I don't think SMS would even still exist if that hadn't happened.

Kunos, never knew that much about them, but I don't believe for a second that they could afford to finance the 7 years of development on AC relying only on the influx generated through netKar. I would very strongly believe that there was some shadow financier involved too, certainly their ties to Fiat/Ferrari have been strong since they developed Tropheo Abarth 500 and Ferrari Virtual Academy.

ISI remain truely independent based on the fact that they've been selling their engine tech very successfully, generating income via that. To me rFactor always seemed more like a showcase sideproduct of the development of their engine (which would also explain the output speed of content for rF).

iRacing is based on the work done for Nascar Racing 2003, which was published by Sierra, and only later on established independence via their upscale subscription model. How big the financial ties with Nascar are since they announced partnership in 2009 is unknown to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nascar had gained some influence via that collaboration.

But with that statement I actually had game developers in general in mind, not the sim racing niche as such, which you are right is a special field of its own for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
  5. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Two more months gone again :(
    I was hoping ...

6. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Wrt to triple screen being the same as pC1 Taht never stopped me. Do the "extended screen" looks as good or as immersive as proper render? Nope

7. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Being used to proper support in RF2, AMS, AC and in pCars2 to come (soon), the lack of it keeps me from driving in R3E and pCars1 at this time.
    The stretched view bothers me too much, I can't drive for an extended time.
    It's a bit sad owning all content (except the latest tracks) and not being able to fully exploit it.
    Now if R3E would tell me it's never going to happen, I'll shut up and cut my losses. I'll concentrate on sims where my setup works as intended.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I moved to vr in the mean time and it's hard to drive on triples so I understand that.

But at the time, between that and just 1 monitor...

It's like trying a g27 after so many years of fanatec csw really :)

9. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I tried VR a couple of times and each time I felt nausea coming after less than 15'. That (and some other reasons) made me decide to stay on triples.
    Agreed on the wheel thing. Just did that a few weeks ago while trying the rig of a friend. Comparing the pedals to my HE Pro's was even worse). :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    That vr thing is not for everyone. The more I read the more I'm convinced. I'm just glad it's not my case :D
    Those HE... This is why I don't want to try high end HW :D

11. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    And the "VR thing" is so much younger than the "triple thing" and many VR users are still using their triples especially under hot conditions in summer. It is really important to get triple screen support soon.

12. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I bought an usb fan actually....