UPDATE after UPDATE after UPDATE, but...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kris_peeters, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    That's only the visual rotation. I believe the others are talking about the real rotation you configure in the setup menu.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    oh yes, this works, but I'd like the value in the setup could change automatically also the visual rotation

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Why485

Why485 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    You and me both. I'm not sure why automatically matching the visual and actual isn't an option. Let alone just the default behavior. It's annoying to have to constantly change it so that it matches the car correctly.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Frank25

Frank25 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    There's is a workaround for this problem. Use always a "wheel range" of 540° in the setup of all cars and recalculate the "steering lock". E.g. the result for DTM 92 is then 540/18 instead of 900/30, for DTM 2015 it is 540/16 instead of 450/13, for BMW M1 Procar it is 540/15 instead of 720/20. ( new steering lock = (540 / old wheel range) * old steering lock )
    And a steering angle of 540° is really enough for a race car.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  5. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Actually AI is fighting an overtaking each other. So when i saw your post i did a quick 30 min race on Hockenheim ring with GT3 cars AI strenght set 103. after the race i watched the replay and the leading group have hade a great fight with couple of overtaking, lots of attempts, it was really good.
    what i can imagine, AI behaviour depends on:
    - Class: with some classes it works better with others it is not soo good
    - Track: on some tracks it is a pain to overtake in real life too, so why it should be easier in game
    - AI difficulty: by my experience as you go over 100 difficulty, AI physics start to get "weird", especially break distances and breaking force seems to me unrealistic, which can significally affect overtaking possibilities for AI.

So i would not say in general, that the AI is not overtaking, because it does. Sure it could be still finetuned, but it is not bad at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Wasn't it said anyway earlier this summer, after the last AI update, that something sneaked into the new AI that was not meant this way and made it slightly more peaceful and less eager to stage "events of surprise", to put it this way, than they intended - and that this will be reversed, fixed, tuned in the next AI update? I seem to recall something like that. While I like the greater smoothness and better braking we have now, I also liked the greater "human-ness" of the AI before, and the slightly greater probability of them to make a mistake or brake to late or leave the track. It should not be exaggerated, but like these latter things have been before the summer update of the AI - I liked that much. It made the race very entertaining to watch.

• Agree Agree x 8
  7. Backmarker

Backmarker Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I reviewed 12 of my WTCC races across 4 tracks with an AI fielded at 96-103 opponent strength setting. AI passing another AI in my events is very rare and only occurred in first lap of race. I don't see AI fighting with other AI. I would not call 2 or 3 passes on first lap by AI very good by any stretch.

S3 really needs to work on AI aggression and AI being able to defend a position for WTCC pack. Other than that I do enjoy the AI detection model. I get bumped on occasion by AI but it is very rare.
    : )

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Nigel Fox

Nigel Fox Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    They aren't very gentlemanly to me! :p

More aggression would be fine - as an option. As I indicate, I'd prefer less aggression. My restart ratio thanks to being rammed off track is rather high...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Have you tried to lower the AI?
    This almost only happens to me when the AI are set to high for my skill / in an unfamiliar car, or on a new track.

10. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    To be honest I start too feel the AI a little bit "untouchable"

I tried to make few races in gtr3 class, with 110-115 difficulty (the level that gave me something to fight against, not winning easily)
    Every time there's a touch or a hit against me and one AI it mean a spin for me or some off track time.
    And I'm not talking about big hit.

I can't play against AI anymore without the fear of being touch.... Feeling like playing asseto corsa multi :(

On the other side it's all good in MP

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Drive MP!

12. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I do... But some times there's really nobody on the he public lobby. And not always the races I've like to do at the moment.

IA is great when you just want to do a quick race in the conditions you like

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Raceroom is a bit prone to certain car-track combos being more difficult to be handled well by the AI, than others. Probably an issue in all race simulations. In AC it is present as well, and maybe even worse: practically all open-wheelers are very much in danger of getting mistreated by the AI. I think Raceroom works much better, in this regard, already now. Even more, I all too often see in the replay that when I "got shot off the track", all too often it was my own fault for not having left the car behind the needed time and space to react to something silly I did, or to my inapt driving. I drive with the AI at around 92-94, not 100+, so you can take it that I also drive less aggressive and suicidal. The collision issues that one can see collected in dedicated videos, almost never, hm: NEVER happen to me. The occasional mess-up in turn one with cars bogging down when standing in line to get a ticket for the next show:yes, occasionally: but the metal-mess-dramas that some people post: never. Really. Never had something like that over here since long, long time. Not in Raceroom, not in AC.

There must be a reason why so-called Aliens achieve times than in real world are simply unrealistic.

Maybe we should do it a bit like in figure skating: having one value that represents the laptime, and a second one representing the realism of driving. :D

Wreckers can also get a third note for artistic impression. LOL.

14. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Or a long race in the conditions you like. Or even a season.

---

The debate SP versus MP is as old as online racing, maybe we can save us from doing the whole thing once again. ;)

15. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    so far with the new physics i haven't been able to find any way to dramatically increase my speed, with the old physics gt cars i tended to bring the arbs right to the extremes and increase the wing so i was sliding around the corners. this doesn't work with the new physics. ill be looking for a alternative but it seems much more realistic so far and the lap times have been closer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    My initial impressison with the new physics, was split, and a bit underwhelmed. I had expected more. More of what, I am not even certain, since I already liked physics before. But I now have spend more time with the new ones, and must say that I got convinced now, I see that they indeed are a step in the right direction, and not just a small one. Once one gets into them, they provide you with a much more believable illusion of what I imagine to be "realistic". At leats that is how it is for me.

I also push the car with more confidence now than before. I like the "heavier" feeling of the car, the simulation of a feeling for that there is real "mass".

So: difficult start, but convincing end over here. Nicely done, Sector3!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  17. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    and now this will be avaible in the next future also in GSCE http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...e-v1-50-soon-to-be-released-must-read.112806/ (If you have any of the supported wheels, it is recommended you set Enable Custom Steer Rotation to NO from OPTIONS > CONTROLS, and let the game customize the appropriate rotation range for each car)
    ....I hope to see it soon also in R3E

18. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Pretty sure R3E already does this, as every car you get in already has the steering rotation set to what that car would be in real-life. GSCE used to not do this and you had to manually set the lock for every car, but now that they can tinker with the code they were able to have it set automatically for each car to the correct setting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

The visual thing is something, the fact is that r3e added a long time ago the automatic wheel rotation into the game play. And it's tight to the car model through the steering setup
    The only thing that is not automatic is only the visual thing

20. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    If I understood correctly, GSCE will have automatically steering rotation for each cars and at the same time the visual one will match