Upgrade to VR?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fleskebacon, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    I'm considering going for a VR set for my racing rig. I'm currently running a GTX1060, so I'll probably need a new gpu as well, to keep things running smoothly.

Will the Oculus Rift S and an RTX2070S do the trick? The RTX2080S is only marginally more powerful, and the RTX2080Ti is twice the price, so I reckon the 2070 is the best-bang-buy at the moment.

Surely someone has an opinion on this? :)

2. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I've beeing running the original 2070 for 1.5yrs now for exactly that bang-for-buck reason. - I then use the Rift CV1.

The combo works perfectly for RRE, AMS2, RF2, and AC. ACC is good while hotlapping, but forget about any AI for now if you want the full 90fps. - Even the 2080ti struggles here.

Outside of sim racing, it's also plenty.. Half-Life Alyx ran flawlessly.

3. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I've been using an RTX 2070S with a Valve Index for a year now and it's completely fine. Unfortunately, none of the current sims are particularly amazing at VR optimization, but I can run all of them at 90 Hz with medium-low graphics settings, except for ACC, which only runs smoothly at 80 Hz, I got used to it. The Rift S has lower resolution, so probably the same GPU could perform even better with it.

4. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I was really worried if my 1060 3gb will properly handle VR in R3E and it was quite a surprise to find its doing absolutely fine! I'm using Dell Visor, medium graphics settings without shadows. Im usually running about 16 AI.

5. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    I'll get the goggles first then, and see how it works out. If my 1060 is too weak, I'll get the 2070, it's more than twice as fast according to benchmarks. I'm a bit picky on the AA, so I like to have some spare gpu power for that.

6. pierredietze

pierredietze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Are you going to play only racing sims in VR? In your position I would wait until september and go for the HP Reverb G2. Just a little more expensive, but is going to outperform every other headset in image quality.

7. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I just googled the HP Reverb G2 and just have read "2k x 2k per eye". Wowh, killer resolution. But that needs a beefy system, i would say. A very beefy system. I am not sure my i7 8700K and 1080 OC would handle it...?!

8. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I use Rift, i7 8700K and 1080 OC by factory (see my sig), everything is smooth and fluid in RR, AC, ACC, with car fields ~24-28 in AC/C and up to 50 in RR, graphics settings medium to high.

Get a VR set that is confirmed to run Google Earth/Streetview. You want to have that. Believe me, you want it. its a must-have. The smaller Oculus Go for example does not run it. A VR set not capable to run Google Earth/Streetview, is not complete, and a waste. VR was made for it.

9. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    It's going to be sim racing only. I don't have time for anything else, even if I'd love to spend hours and hours gaming.. I'll check them out, but as @Skybird says, they will probably need a more beefy system to utilise the advantages.

10. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Go for the vr, its worth it, night and day difference from 1-3 screens, your card should be more than good enough for decent levels in RR but most likely will struggle with higher settings in any game. If it was me I would hold off on a gpu for a couple of months, both AMD and Nvidia have new cards in the pipeline and there may be a few surprises price and performance wise.
    Also your sig says win8, officially you need win 10 to run any of the windows based headsets, vr performance in windows has improved a huge amount in the last 12mnths also.

11. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Well I raced a long time in VR with my Rift. Yes it is awesome but the low res and uncomfortableness made me switch to a triple setup. For me that is much more comfortable and the max GFX suits me more. I can use 2nd screens, do not get a sweaty head. I don’t have to constantly tweak with all kind of settings to get a steady 90fps. Etc etc.

once the hardware is better and more comfortable, I’ll buy a new VR set. For now my triple setup is awesom.

12. morsify

morsify Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I sold my Rift and extras last week and I've preordered the Reverb G2. I'm excited about it, and it's looking like a major step up in resolution and clarity over the Rift. IMHO It's worth finding the extra money for.

You can always turn detail down till you upgrade your pc, but you can't upgrade your Rift resolution. So I would go with the G2, run at lower detail (or it also has a half resolution option), and then turn detail up when you upgrade your pc.

BTW I've been very happy with my EVGA RTX2070 XC Ultra, it ran all my Rift games very well. I think it will be fine for the G2 for a while, but maybe next year I'll upgrade the GPU to really get full use out of the G2.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  13. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I'll be interested to hear how you get along with the G2. As you say, it's a significant jump in res, but with it will come the cost in performance. If that resolution jump negates the currrent need for AA/SS, then maybe that cost in performance is offset at least a little.

I'm still happy with my CV1 for the time being. Once I get lost in the moment, the res is the last thing I'm aware of tbh - Maintaining a 100% solid 90fps is far more important. I'm keeping a beady eye on what's going with hardware though, and will likely pair an upgrade with a corresponding leap in GPU performance with the imminent RTX30xx range. That'll be costly though, so there'd have to be a pretty good reason to take the leap.