Using damper?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MsportDan, Jan 17, 2016.

1. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone tried this?I know its a forsaken rule to use damper in sims. But ive been messing with about 30% damper ffb settings (100% profiler), and it feels much more like a real car it takes away the springey feel to the wheel, and also makes it feel like your on rubber.

Anyone try this in rr?Maybe for now it can replace min force, but ive been trying it on rf2 with a min fore applied and even in that it felt better!

UPDATE
    I think ive somewhat come to something I like which means I went against what I said above regarding damper. For me RR desperately needs damper, either built in or on, as it makes the ffb pretty good even if I do say so myself. These settings are on a t300 and they don't clip but can get quite heavy in slow turns and heavy downforce cars. The formula ffb us really good may I add. But as I said damper needs to be 100% on in profile (you knock that back in game of course)
    god knows why this flipped?!
    [​IMG]
    image upload with preview
    even the m1 feels pretty pucca too! lol
    I'm not gonna fiddle anymore, because you literally could be doing it till death> So until new ffb settings come out this are mine for now!.. Wouldn't recommend this on weak wheels

• Informative Informative x 3
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2016
  2. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Nope, but I'll give it a whirl

3. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Can't remember what mine is set to but I feel using at least a bit of damper is essential for R3E.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    At 100% it pretty much takes away all feedback from the road, but I like to have a little damping, actually. Not as much as 30%, more like 10%. As with many other elements of simracing, it's all about comprimise. At 0% damping, the wheel runs wild if you let go of it for a couple of seconds, even when driving in a straight line. That's not realistic. Add some damping, and the ride is much more stable and realistic.

But the compromise is obvious: Damping takes away some of the feedback given from the physics engine. And when you're driving a simulator, you miss out on so many other types of feedback, like G-forces, spatial awareness, distance assessment etc. etc., so you really, really need every single bump of feedback you can get through the wheel.

But a little damping feels better for me.

Center spring is an absolute no-go and should be permanently locked on 0%. And there should be issued fines for even considering using it.

The friction settings I haven't played too much with, but that's more like a constant friction in the steering, right? Just like an overly tightened steering box... Don't fancy that.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    to be fair I though that so I did a test and found a piece of tarmac with some ffb detail in it. With damper on/off I stiff felt the detail in the road.

6. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps it affects other wheels differently? I'm a T300 owner too so I'll have a play with the damper setting next time I get an opportunity. One thing is for sure...I'm tired of constantly messing with FFB settings in R3E. It shouldn't be this way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff...... was the sound that came out of my mouth

Andi

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    The default settings work just fine. It's just that we're playful by nature and like to play with sliders and settings. Not because we have to, but because we can. ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I have mine at 10%. To whom should I make the cheque out?:)

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  10. Ouvert

Ouvert Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Dan, I would say stop trying to fix/workaround things that will be fix by devs ... updated cars feels perfect (I assume you don`t have porblems with them too) .. just wait .. enjoy content you can enjoy till than ... or other sims :) .. oh and there is no point comparing it to rF2 or GSC .. or AC .. just different apporach in my opinion ...

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    I just tryed out AC for comparing.. boy I still wonder why the hell I wasted money on that game.. Then I went over to try pcars yea it's ok look good and it's better since the release but it's not R3E it's not close the road feeling and of the cars... :D
    Wast your time fidle around with setings untill you find what suit you and be happy.. that's what I done and even the oldies goldis is realy ok now :p

12. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Not on my wheel, every single car whether new or old requires some sort of FFB fiddling. With the default settings my CSW gets so heavy in the turns with the updated cars that's it's very difficult to even turn the wheel past 90º. I'm not complaining about it, but I do have about a dozen hours of faffing with the FFB settings since I got the CSW last month (as opposed to maybe 2-3 hours of racing in that same time).

13. Ouvert

Ouvert Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    yep .. but I think Dan is little bit don quijoting it at this point ... :)

14. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    • Useful Useful x 2
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2016
  15. Thomas Cameron

Thomas Cameron Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
  16. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Does the damper setting in the G27 profiler even make any difference at all, or do the settings in Raceroom override this completely? I can't feel any difference from 0% to 150% in the profiler.

In other games (Dirt Rally), I need to adjust the damper in the profiler to get any damping at all, but for Raceroom I don't think it matters what setting I use in the profiler.

17. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    on a t300 i can have 100% in profiler, but of the game has 0% there is no effect. I have it set at 100 in profiler and 20 in game.

18. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I believe it's a combination of the two, the in-game setting is a percentage of your profiler setting. So if you have your profiler at 100% and your game at 50% you'll get 50% damper, if you have your profiler at 50% and set the game at 50% you'll get 25% damper, etc. If you turned your profiler up to 150% but your in game setting was at 0% then I believe you would be getting 0 damper because the game setting would cancel out your profiler setting.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My tests believe this to be correct...

Also one other thing ve noticed if you have a high understeer value, yu do seem to get light steer forces most times, even when you don't appear to be understeering?!

20. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    Nothing new, that why you can find the right balance of understeering or not, depending on the wheel you use.